Off to my first AA meeting.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AA Member

have fun in those meetings

they changed my life!

Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad you got in the door and it went well.

Going to AA was the best and most important thing I ever did for myself (and I include going to university in that sweeping statement - I learned more that helped me develop and grow there than I ever could have done at Uni).

Keep coming back. And welcome to the fellowship.

Oh, and there's some great AA speaker recordings available as well. They can come in very handy at times... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!
Old 11-15-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Best people I've ever met seem to be in the rooms. I am no longer ashamed that I am in AA. I have become really proud of the work I get to do. I am evolving and AA began that for me. Glad you went in! Funny how we associate shame and AA until we know what it's about.

So proud of you!!!!
Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I was told not long ago - All your friends are drunks!! Wow..........

Now I proclaim - All my friends are drunks! ( of the ex variety )
I get out what I put in. When I get in the middle I feel part of.........

Keep it up!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm going to my second meeting tonight. It's a women's only one so the dynamics will be very different I think. Again, nervous and dreading walking in, but I know I can do it. It feels so surreal though; is this really what my life is going to be like from now on? I've felt spaced out and strange all day.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Oh, and there's some great AA speaker recordings available as well. They can come in very handy at times... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!
This is an AMAZING resource. Thanks for sharing, Berrybean!
Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobquin View Post
This is an AMAZING resource. Thanks for sharing, Berrybean!
It is isn't it. I was so pleased to find it. Much easier than scouring YouTube which is what I'd been doing before.

Oh, and Noneever, regarding your question about the rest of your life? Honestly, I'd suggest that you try to keep it in the day. Or even the hour. When we start mentally trying to figure out the rest of our lives we get overwhelmed and that leaves us very vulnarable to the whisperings of our alcoholic voices. Those horrid little monkeys on our shoulder that want us to take a drink.
On Monday morning I was giving myself palpitations thinking how I was going to get through Monday and Tuesday what with challenging classes, review meetings, presenting training to other staff in a meeting, driving to and having to find a different school for a meeting there and then having a stall with my boss talking to people about what our department does. In the old days I'd have def convinced myself I was ill and thrown a sickie. And that was just thinking ahead for 2 days. Anyway I managed to restore my serenity levels after I'd noticed what I was doing and decided that I needed to deal with things an hour at a time, just doing the best I could at any one point. And last night I suddenly realised it was all done and dusted. No nervous breakdowns or arguments or disasters. But if I'd let my mind race on ahead to all the next things instead of being mindful of the part I was currently dealing with things could have turned out very different and it would have been far more stressful and exhausting than it needed to be. Some days recovery is just about putting one foot in front of the other and doing the next best thing in the here and now.

Take care. And I hope you enjoy your meeting ☺