Notices

Picked up my parchment today

Old 11-18-2016, 01:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
I almost had an anxiety attack. My adviser followed me on ResearchGate. He told me he never follows students. What does it mean? Leave me alone, professor!
Could mean that he respects your intelligence and see's your capability! If you need a reference, why not message him?

I have a law degree and graduated just after my heroin addiction and just as the booze was taking hold of me. It's never too late and you can get your life back on track. You're clearly intelligent and ambitious and you can get it back :-)
Old 11-18-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Stay safe, remember the basics- drinking is dumb and HALTS. However you take the academic stuff- other people value you for it. Perhaps there is a positive in that. Prayers with you, PJ.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I had to look up Research Gate. I didn't know that that's how academics did social media.

It probably doesn't mean anything at all. Maybe he's concerned about you. Maybe he changed his mind about following students. So long as he's not poking you. (Do they poke on Research Gate? Maybe with long pointy sticks like they used in lectures when I was at university many moons ago. Bet those have gone the way of the transparency slide.)
Old 11-18-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I follow students whom I feel have potential, and that I care about.
Nothing sinister. . . you'd be surprised what you can come back from vulturine.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yogini1603 View Post
Could mean that he respects your intelligence and see's your capability! If you need a reference, why not message him?

I have a law degree and graduated just after my heroin addiction and just as the booze was taking hold of me. It's never too late and you can get your life back on track. You're clearly intelligent and ambitious and you can get it back :-)
Congrats on the law degree! My adviser was the first person who I actually admired, but I had social anxiety around him. I think I had a crush on him that I knew was inappropriate. It's kind of funny, because he probably qualifies for sexiest man alive, but his wife is blind.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hehe no pokes on Research Gate. I just found it curious he would specifically look for my profile and follow me on there.

What is HALTS? It wasn't in the acronym thread.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

HALT is for common triggers to avoid. HUNGRY-ANGRY-LONELY-TIRED.
Usually if I find myself getting an attack of the melodramatic, or over anxious or turning into Little Miss Angry then one or more of those triggers is rattling me.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

All the other ones eventually lead to angry for me too. My boyfriend knows all too well. :| I have to do some relationship work with him eventually.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

V I said HALTS, maybe culture specific, I learnt it with an 'S'- for sad.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Only thing I can tell you is that things will get worse if you drink.

Things can really only have a chance to get better if you are sober. Being sober puts a lot of things into perspective. You are obviously an intelligent person. Once you have been sober for a while, I dont know how long you have been sober for, your penchant for greater things will come. You will be able to give it your all, instead of your drunk all and for a while I thought my drunk all was good enough. I can only look back and imagine the things I could have done if I had been sober.

We can only improve the things to come by being sober today.