Notices

Lonely, Socially Anxious and an Alcoholic...

Old 11-11-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lonely, Socially Anxious and an Alcoholic...

Hello.. Again...

Firstly Im still drinking, and I'm sorry

My Doctor told me to 'taper' and it more or less gave me the 'green light' to drink as much as I could.

I live alone, (I have a cat, I did have two but sadly one passed last year). I struggle from extreme social anxiety. Even going to AA scares me. I have had this, since prior to drinking.

I can have long conversations with people I don't know (i.e. shop staff, the vets, doctors ect, and come across as 'bright as a button' - it would be hard to tell anything was wrong - if anything I come across as an 'extrovert').

I have zero friends, and 'over analyse' everything anyone says to me, or I say to them, for days after (even minor comments).

I use alcohol to deal with this. I now use it to deal with being stuck inside everyday, and the loneliness, as I no longer feel able to go out, unless I have to. I also have an ED which doesn't help

I've been to AA tonight, but started having a 'panic attack' they were really good about it, but again I can't stop thinking about how pathetic I looked...

I have thought about 'online meetings' and would appreciate if anyone had any advice with regards to these.

Thank you,

Cassie x
Old 11-11-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cassie,

SR is a great place to come for support and there's always somebody around to offer support. I am not an AA person, but I think if you google online AA meetings you will find good information. Social anxiety is hard to deal with, but I hope that you come here to post and read.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My Doctor told me to 'taper' and it more or less gave me the 'green light' to drink as much as I could.
Thats an alcoholic interpretation - you know that right?

I empathise about the eating disorder problems altho I have no insight or experience with them or online meetings - it's tough dealing with two problems at once - I don't think you can let one slide while you work on the other tho.

It's like bailling out a leaky boat with one hand while punching new holes in it with the other.

I was depressed so I drank - to stay in recovery I have to address that depression and my alcoholism.

I think you need to address both things too - and the social anxiety thing as well...(are you seeing anyone about that?).
Old 11-11-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tapering has never worked for me, I'd always end up throwing up everything and then spend the next few days miserable. :/ Your anxiety is just going to get worse over time if you continue to drink though, this I can promise you.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Social anxiety is very tough to deal with. I think I know where you are coming from. At it's worse, I was pretty much house bound for a while, terrified to go any where. Eventually meds and therapy helped a lot. I still deal with it, but it is mostly managable now. What I do know is that drinking makes it much worse. I end up stuck in my apartment afraid to go anywhere. The only place I can force myself to go to is back to the liquor store than straight home and drink to calm down. My world gets real small. Sounds like you might benefit from a short stint in detox. While there, they will probably give you an evaluation and connect you with a doctor that can help. Good luck. John
Old 11-11-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try this link for 1 option to work the steps online:

Click the link:
The 12 Steps
Old 11-11-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm sorry, Cassie. I hope it'll help you to be here with us.

I was very shy and self-conscious too. I thought alcohol helped me cope, but it did the opposite. It was so good to get free of it. We know you can do it.