Notices

3 years, 7 months alcohol free

Old 11-10-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 years, 7 months alcohol free

Yesterday was 3 years and 7 months alcohol free. I put a little note on my planner to come check in here, and then got busy, but I'm here today.

Life is really amazing these days. Things really have continued to get better in sobriety for me. Not to say that it hasn't had plenty of struggles along the way.

I'm about 6 months into a new relationship with another person that is in recovery. I feel really good about it, and I see a lot of potential based on what we have, not on what we could have, if that makes sense.

I stay busy with work, hanging out with bf, yoga, hiking, biking, camping, travel, writing for the blog I started 9 months ago, reading, continuing to work on personal development and improving myself and my life, and when I have a little spare time, relaxing a bit!

Mostly, I don't think about alcohol, cigarettes or any other drugs. Although, I do still do a little for my recovery- going to an AA meeting every week or two, reading recovery lit with bf for a couple minutes in the morning, keeping a gratitude list each day and trying to be generally healthy. I don't feel like these are things that I have to do to stay sober each day, and sometimes I don't make it to meetings for a month or two. I do like to keep in touch with my recovery though and keep a support network built up. (I've never been a super die-hard AA person, and disagree with a lot of the stuff, but find it nice to just be around other people in recovery.)

I feel more balanced and happy than ever before in my life. Things are good.

I am glad that I'm sober. When I remember to look back at all of the changes, it is really incredible. Speaking of looking back:

Here's a link to a post I wrote at 6 months on what I did early on: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...along-way.html

And one to my grat list, started the day after I quit drinking. I posted to this thread I think every day but 2 of my first year. I still keep a gratitude journal and it has been a BIG part of my sobriety and also of changing my brain so that I now naturally look at the world in a much more positive light. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tude-list.html

And my first post ever, which always makes me laugh because I called myself a 'well-functioning' alcoholic. I didn't know then that well-functioning is a stage of alcoholism, not a type of alcoholic. And truthfully, if I hadn't already passed that stage, I was well on my way to blasting through it. Plus a functioning alcoholic is so much less functional than a sober person. Certainly I got by as an alcoholic, but I was never going to thrive like I am today. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-drinking.html

Thank you all for being a part of my journey. SR was immensely important in me getting sober.

Whatever phase of recovery you are, keep at it. And take a moment to be grateful for being sober. You are amazing.

When I look back, the first year really sucked, but it was also when so much amazing stuff happened, and the love and support I felt from the people here was so incredible. It makes me a little sentimental sometimes.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your recovery!
Old 11-10-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Thanks for your post and for your reference links. I found them very helpful and very interesting!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Wow ! Great to hear and congrats on 3yrs 7 mo!

I'm going to check out your links and posts.

This one is the first one I read..... Very Good Stuff !
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...along-way.html
Old 11-10-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow - 3 yrs 7 mos is AWESOME! Phenomenal job!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 3 years and 7 months sober!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

great news!
Old 11-10-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats again DG

D
Old 11-10-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations DG!!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations DG! Thank you so much for sharing your inspirational post.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations. it is wonderful and a great post.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's wonderful -- you have much to be proud of!!
Old 11-11-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic DG!!