SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   day 20 first real cravings in a while (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/400226-day-20-first-real-cravings-while.html)

Raeven 11-10-2016 04:55 AM

day 20 first real cravings in a while

I so miss my wine. Is it the ritual? I know these aren't physical cravings, but that isn't helping. I'm afraid to have one and be right back where I was, can't do that.

anyone else have cravings and how did you handle it? please don't suggest exercise, still healing from my fall and it is not an option. thank you

Truthbetold76 11-10-2016 05:08 AM

I hate that I can't do yoga to calm my nerves thanks to that damn fall :(
I feel your pain...truly.
Do you have anyone you can talk to one on one? a sober friend?

MidnightRider 11-10-2016 05:16 AM

Ah the cravings... I used to have them bad. Usually around 3-4 pm afternoons.

I found that substituting another special "drink" helped a lot! I buy the flavored sparkling waters and have them on hand.... Sometimes I have a bottle of Coke and pour it in a glass with ice ..

But maybe just having something different to drink will help... there are so many soft drinks out there!

Yogini1603 11-10-2016 05:22 AM

I get the cravings really strong at one particular time of day - between 2pm and 6pm. At some point during that time, I always seem to have a dodgy half hour or so when I'm really having to fight the urge to drink. When it gets to 6pm, I feel like I'm "in for the night" and feel more settled.

20 days is brilliant and I hope you are feeling proud of how far you have come already.

If I feel like I'm about to put my shoes on and go out for booze, then I get in the bath. I can't go outside without clothes on so it buys me some time to get my head in gear and chill out. I also do what MidnightRider said - I have a fizzy drink with ice and might have a sweet as well.

entropy1964 11-10-2016 06:16 AM

Well I would first dissect what you 'miss' about your wine. I would re-read your first posts and think about why you quit in the first place. Play the tape forward of what would likely happen if you did drink. This is your addiction talking, not the person that seeks recovery.

Maybe you are lonely and are needing some F2F support. An AA meeting?

Look at the concept of surrender and acceptance in alcoholism. Tell yourself you choose not to drink, no matter what. Cravings for me usually pass rather quickly if I don't give them any fuel to grow.

Sometimes ya just gotta hang in there. Good on ya for posting about it!

FreedomCA 11-10-2016 07:51 AM

Usually eating something sweet takes any cravings right away, like a piece of rich chocolate cake. I have never felt like drinking after having a piece of chocolate cake.

Or what about reading a spiritual/recovery related book. I recently ordered 3 of these types of books from Amazon, and they all come today.

Deep breathing also helps. It helps me to let go of all of my anxiety that I am keeping in.

Anna 11-10-2016 07:55 AM

This sticky might be helpful to you Raven:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Dee74 11-10-2016 02:22 PM

The relationship I had with alcohol was one of the longest relationships in my life Raeven - it was like a weird messed up love affair...and like toxic relationships, it's still possible to miss that abusive partner for a while.

You will get better :)

Anna's link there is great too :)

D

August252015 11-10-2016 06:21 PM

Emotional "cravings" and dis-ease are the thing for me. My go to is a nap, or going to bed early if it's close to a reasonable time, when I start getting frustrated, irritable, restless, worried....Lately, I have also been coloring - after a particularly frustrating weekend at work (I'm a server), my bf got me a hilarious adult coloring book titled "Calm The F*ck Down" and some of the pieces are just right for any mood. The intricacy takes focus, too!

Lately, I also clean. Seeing results of something - even cooking that chicken I thawed and have to make and just keep for tomorrow (doing that now!)- not only feels good but whatever it is takes a little bit of time.

Hang in there.

Delizadee 11-10-2016 06:32 PM

I like the link Anna posted the best. There's so many good ideas there.
Do you do meetings? I can't remember. Is there anyone you can talk to?
For me my cravings are very few and far between. But I know for me, a simple phone call to someone I care about helps break the nasty spell and bring me back to myself.
Are there any activities that you find give you intense pleasure or relief you could try?

Raeven 11-11-2016 06:04 AM

Thank you all

made it through the day. went for a massage at a new place, sounded like a good idea and a way to help with the back strain. took mind off the back strain...so painful despite multiple complaints from me. my back hurts all over this morning so that one spot doesn't seem so bad. looking for a new spa to try next time I need a treat.

great suggestions and support, thank you

Ladyshipwreck 11-21-2016 06:45 PM

Hello. I've been on here before and it helped. Not sure why I stopped coming. Well, I guess that' not true.
I don't really feel like saying much right now, but just wanted to go ahead and put my foot in the door.

SWTPEA61 11-21-2016 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Raeven (Post 6204811)
made it through the day. went for a massage at a new place, sounded like a good idea and a way to help with the back strain. took mind off the back strain...so painful despite multiple complaints from me. my back hurts all over this morning so that one spot doesn't seem so bad. looking for a new spa to try next time I need a treat.

great suggestions and support, thank you

Raeven
I used alcohol to relieve back pain and found that the alcohol made it worse the next day

SWTPEA61 11-21-2016 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ladbyshipwreck (Post 6217209)
Hello. I've been on here before and it helped. Not sure why I stopped coming. Well, I guess that' not true.
I don't really feel like saying much right now, but just wanted to go ahead and put my foot in the door.

Welcome and happy you came back

Ladyshipwreck 11-21-2016 09:47 PM

Thank you. I'm sorry, I might've accidentally posted in the wrong place. I thought I was on the class of November page.

PhoenixJ 11-21-2016 10:23 PM

Does not matter- you are here.