Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Coping With Fear and Disappointment - Weekender 10-13 November

Notices

Coping With Fear and Disappointment - Weekender 10-13 November

Old 11-12-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Jo, the greatest torrture is in anticipation and dread of an event; the actual doctor visit will probably be very anticlimactic in comparison to what you're enduring now.

Most of the time the problem is nowhere near our worst fear.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Thank you Gil I know you're right it's just the fear is telling me that I've a big dose of Karma coming my way after everything I've done. It's the one thing I can't shake off. But I think I have to face it soon or I'll have this shadow over me for a long time ....
Old 11-12-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Phoenix, I'm sorry! We must have posted at the same time, so I didn't respond to you.

I just want to encourage you to soldier on.

You are doing so well; you are doing all the right things.

In time with perseverance you will have peace in your relationships.

I am sorry you are suffering. (((PJ)))
Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Well thankyou G. There is a great deal of peace actually in acceptance. I cannot change others but I am changing myself. Support here helps a great deal. Thankyou to you all. (SMILEY FACE WITH LOTS OF COLORS- INSERT HERE)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

believe it or not ,post of us find our health is better than we feared Jo...I really think it's worth the risk to find out
Old 11-12-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

joandmeland han I have had similar issue my whole adult life... before I drank as well.... now at my age for some reason this has greatly abated with abstinence from alcohol.

I had 2 years of awful mysterious female issues and was afraid of the worst... but as grueling as it was it turned out to be ok, not pleasant but nothing plenty of other women haven't dealt with.

I dunno if your issue is drinking but it really does affect hormones.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Bless you Sleepie thanks for the post....xxx
Old 11-12-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I can kind of understand where your coming from joandmelandhan . I had a poor experience with our medical system (many years ago). I'm way over due for a medical exam and need to see my doctor at least for a screening - mom died from a hereditary cancer. But I just can't bring myself to going until I have some decent sober time under my belt.

However, I'm not encouraging you to wait.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I just want to give a shout out to Tetra.

You were ready to confide something that bothered you deeply; but you felt like its significance paled in comparison to the decline of Venecia's mom. Bad timing!

But your concerns are very important, and I for one would like to hear and lend support.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you made it through Saturday night PhoenixJ

Joeandmelandhan, I can only echo what others have said about seeing a doctor. The chances are that it will result in a lot of worry being lifted from your shoulders. This is most hypocritical on my part as I avoid the doctors too and for the same reason but the advice is sound

Weather wise it has been fairly atrocious in London, rain and a biting wind.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Although I didn't buy anything I did spend some time in a shop full of stolen goods that have been recovered but not reclaimed so the proceeds go to charity. A good idea and there were some bargains to be had ( just not by me)
Old 11-12-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I am not coping with a lot of fear and disappointment today.
This is a recovery meeting filled weekend for me. I feel unbelievably grateful today.
I went to an al-anon meeting and shared part of my story. I finally found a sponsor too- (one of us double-winners) with 31 years under her. I am so excited.

If anyone who is praying doesn't mind keeping my step father in your thoughts and prayers, he underwent open-heart surgery last night.
My relationship with my mom is strained and there has been no contact for more than half a year. She is also an alcoholic.
I am trying to find the courage and compassion to call her today. I have been thinking and praying for my stepdad since I got the news.

Hope everyone is having a great sober weekend. Grateful to be sober and here!
Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I will pray, Del.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thank you Gilmer
Old 11-12-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Of course prayers- with knobs on!
Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I will pray too (((Del)). I hope you'll get to talk to your mum. She might be waiting for you to call. I had a similar situation with my parents a very long time ago and still today I'm glad it did call. X
Old 11-12-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elke516 View Post
I will pray too (((Del)). I hope you'll get to talk to your mum. She might be waiting for you to call. I had a similar situation with my parents a very long time ago and still today I'm glad it did call. X
THANK YOU Elke your words really help. I am going to try calling my mom after my evening meeting. Still hoping and praying stepdad is doing ok.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sending positive vibes your step fathers way Delizadee

It is not even 10:15pm but I am really tired, unfortunately I am simultaneously suffering from heartburn so no chance of sleep. Meh!
Old 11-12-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers Del

D
Old 11-12-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had to retrain myself to look dispassionately at my fear and work at hard at presenting other scenarios to it:

• how do you *know* event X will happen?
  • isn't it just as likely event Y will happen and you'll be fine?
  • Why not apply strategy Z instead and be satisfied you've done your best to mitigate any disaster?

I had to learn to trust myself, and my capacity to solve problems, again - I had to have faith that no matter what happened to me in my world, I'd be ok.

"Disappointments are just God’s way of saying: I have got something better. Be patient, live life and have faith"

I will be ok - we all will
Wow, Dee. These words really resonate with me right now. You know that I tend to catastrophize (your word which I love) everything and I need to retrain myself to approach things in the manner you describe above.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. While I'm very political, the election is the least of the problems in my life so while I'm cognizant of the strife it is causing around me I've been tuning it out to the extent possible. I've been totally avoiding social media, news, etc. and focusing on me and my broken little family. Taking things step by step and trying not to get overwhelmed. And doing it all sober.

So I'm in!!!!!!