Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Coping With Fear and Disappointment - Weekender 10-13 November

Notices

Coping With Fear and Disappointment - Weekender 10-13 November

Old 11-10-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for a sober weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20161110_184227.jpg (18.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 11-10-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Dee and such a poignant topic for many of us I'm sure. Disappointment? I think I am in the low expectations camp so that tends not to cause me issues. Fear and anxiety? Yes they have been major issues for me for many years and drinking as a quick mask over those feelings only make it much worse. I am trying my best currently to accept that now I'm in early sobriety the things I've blotted out will feel a little worse fur a while but I know for sure that the only long term strategy is to stay sober. Even in my new found sobriety I'm keeping it low key.....no mass excitement or major changes just a steady calm set of steps to direct me further away from the drinking each day. New habits and safeguards against putting myself at risk (I've not been in a shop alone since I got sober). It's working nicely so far and I'm relatively calm and dare I say relaxed. Yes I have anxiety issues. Yes I'm a single mum with 2 jobs. Yes I'm a recovering alcoholic. But if my head hits that pillow each night sober then I'm doing good.....
Wishing you all a lovely weekend xxx
Old 11-10-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You struck just the right note for this weekend, Dee - absolutely spot on. I need to apply it also to my personal life (possible meetup with the twin daughter who isn't completely estranged, and I get into heaps of anxiety even over how difficult it is for us to just make arrangements of times and location! I've just given myself a talking to about ways to cope by writing it out for another member over on her thread :-)
Carry on team! hopefully will catch up a little more on and off over next few days.
x Vic
Old 11-10-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dee, what a thoughtful opening to this weekend's thread. You really have touching insight, something I appreciate so much. And, as often seems the case, your timing, however unplanned, is remarkably helpful.

I've not been here as much lately. Some of that is due to assessing my online time and how it's allocated. It's also because, out of necessity, my priorities have shifted.

In early September, my mother, 82, was hospitalized for almost a week, including three days in critical care. As always, a result of her congestive heart failure, which she's had for many years and for which there is no more realistic treatment. Not quite two weeks ago, she was hospitalized again overnight. For about a year and a half, she has lived with my brother, his wife and their children. At the start of last week, they were not sure she'd make it through the night.

Last week, our family and her physician discussed beginning hospice care at home for her; she agreed it is appropriate. That's not an easy conversation under any circumstance, one more difficult with Mom because while she is still pretty much aware, and deemed competent, her mental acuity has dropped in the last month.

As I have for the last two months, I'm spending as much time with her as possible back home (about an hour from here). It's important to me to support my sister-in-law, who will be increasingly giving hands-on care. We'll have hospice nurses visit during the week, too. I also want to be there for my brother and, in particular, my teen-aged niece and nephew.

How long? It's really hard to say. Her days have been mostly good. She wants to be there for my nephew's high school graduation next May. Knowing Mom, she just might pull it off. She is a champion at summoning her own reprieves, having astounded her cardiologist and primary physician. Whatever happens and when, our greatest hope is for peacefulness. I love her very much.

Though I may not be here as often, SR is very much with me, as it has been for three-plus years. I continue to learn so much here and I'm so grateful to be part of this community. SR was here for me when, just under 10 months sober, my dear father died in his sleep -- totally unexpected. Dee sent me a beautiful quote from Rabindranath Tagore that I shared when I eulogized Dad. It still means a lot to me.

Alcoholism humbled me; SR taught me how to transform that into something positive. It still does. Thank you and I'll be around.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your mom Venecia.
I was going to post about something that happened which I was mortified about but now it seems so trivial by comparison.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear of this sad time for you Venecia

Back at home - and very much on topic for now - just had a slightly rattling set-to with an older AA lady member by phone. Almost exactly the same kind of stuff (about boundary setting - or not! / different expectations and misunderstandings, about possibly driving to a meeting further away today...). and that caused her quite a bit of disappointment which she kinda fired at me. She's a lovely woman, generally kind and quite gently spoken, with 28 years sobriety. So I felt quite knocked about a bit....but did send her an apology text. Now have to let it go.

Phew!

Who knows if this makes any sense, but just wanted to pop in to say it.

'Breathe..........................'
Old 11-10-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow, tetra...talk about synchronicity.

yeah, let's back off on the (self)-mortification over things which really can pass quite quickly if we let them; V's situation is one that won't. A salutary reminder.

And now I feel I should take the advice of another member - and go outside for a bit, in the sun. With dog.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Venecia))) prayers for you and your lovely mom.

D
Old 11-10-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The election has encouraged hateful attacks on minoroties all over the place, not that that's a new thing but they have picked up... And have a certain unrestrained, rabid gleeful righteousness that has me chilled to the bone... Fear will be a thing I deal with now simply leaving my home.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

God, now Leonard Cohen's dead.................
Old 11-10-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Venecia. I'm sorry about your mom. Sending thoughts of comfort and peace your way.

I have to comment on something. Something that I think is worth noting in this fabulous community, full of caring and support. Especially in a time that is difficult and uncertain for some.
I know sometimes the relapse or return posts seem to be so many.
Lately, I've really noticed the number of positive updates from members.
It's very heartening. Brings a lot of light to the boards.

I am forever grateful to our community. Wherever we're at in our lives and on our paths we're all important, and we're important to one another. Whether we are sad, struggling, or triumphant and joyful- this place is full of hope and encouragement and is a beacon of light in some of the darkest corners of internal and external existence.

This is always a safe place to be, wherever we are. Good things happen here.

My favorite 5 word saying out of the book I just finished reading, "Carry On, Warrior" is
WE CAN DO HARD THINGS
Together we can do anything.

Carry on, warriors.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh yeah- count me in for the weekend.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

bemyself I have been a fan of Leonard Cohen for so so long... never got to see him.

But you know he had a long good life filled with artistic integrity and output that we all get to cherish and enjoy
Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Venecia, thank you for posting about your Mom. It's great that you have time to spend with her and she's not so far away. She may very well surprise you all.

I hope everyone is doing well today. It's too late to say "this evening." I'm about ready for bed. I'm off work tomorrow for Veterans Day and intend to enjoy the long weekend.

See you all tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Venecia - my thoughts are with you and yours. Your mum sounds tenacious.; I hope she's able to achieve her goal.
Ruby - you're just heading to bed on Thurday and I've just finished my working week on Friday. That's the benefit of living in the future, I guess. My 8-year-old daughter quite likes that book, so I hope yours does, too.
bemyself - I was given a Leonard Cohen album at the age of 13 by a friend's dad as part of my musical education. I'm taking the opportunity to educate my own children with that same album today. I think Suzanne remains one of my all-time favourite songs.
Jo - good to see you about.

I should go and think about dinner, although the cupboards are beyond bare ... Freezer surprise it is, then.

Happy Friday, everyone.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the most important voices of the last century stilled at last.

RIP

D
Old 11-10-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, as if the world wasn't bad enough this week. RIP Leonard Cohen, his insight into the human condition were unmatched

Venecia, it sounds like your mom is getting the best possible care, both from the medical profession and her caring family and I am sure she appreciates that as we appreciate you for sharing here
Old 11-10-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It is also Armistice Day today. 2 minutes silence at 11am
Old 11-10-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Mr

RIP Leonard.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Mr

Dave Van Ronk wrote last call after a night with cohen.
He inspired a lot of the big names. Its a lot of drink talk so be warned.

Was the inspiration for the coen brothers Lewyn Davis film with Oscar Isaac.