Notices

Elections: Drinking

Old 11-13-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Reading a few responses I've had second thoughts about putting up this post, like it looked like something I was doing selfishly, whining, bitching or even bragging about staying sober. I guess I have to live with that. There is nothing more I can say. I liked the post that said, "He [the Pres . elect] can do this or do that but nothing he can do will make me drink!" Let me rephrase it then, "I can do this or I can do that but please whatever I do or have done don't let it lead you to drink or interfere with your recovery."

W.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

There was nothing wrong with your original post Bill - it was securely moored in recovery, which is what I asked for and which I think serves us all best here

D
Old 11-13-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I think for myself, this election has strengthened my resolve for sobriety.
I am a Cdn, I have a proposal for the Dems, you all move here and all the conservatives in Canada can swap your places!
Old 11-13-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
I am a Cdn, I have a proposal for the Dems, you all move here and all the conservatives in Canada can swap your places!

The Canadian immigration web site crashed after the election
Old 11-14-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
If I lived in Alberta as you do, nothing could make leave. Because I am a mountain lover, love the long drive from Banff to Jasper. It is where I would want to be, short of the Alps, Murren (near Interlaken) and Zermatt. Also the Eiger near the Yungfrau. I have often seen an analogy between recovering from alcohol or substance dependency and climbing, hopefully with experienced companions, up the North Face of the Eiger.

W.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Almost a week and I'm still walking in a fog. Can't seem to get past it. Maybe cause I'm hispanic, don't know. I'm legal but can't remember the last time I felt so vulnerable. Worked in a high school today that is largely latino. Wondered how their dealing with this. Hope nobody has a problem with me posting this, but I have no other outlet. I keep repeating the Serenity Prayer, but doesn't seem to be enough right now. John
Old 11-14-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I hear ya John. This whole thing is mind numbing. Like... this-just-cannot-be-happening.

I need to be careful what I say here. I don't want to provoke anyone. I've even gotten into it with my family, I predict this will be a very difficult thanksgiving for many. I suggest that people have a plan for how to deal with conflict during holiday gatherings.

I'll shut up now.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I appreciate that many people are upset. In a community this size tho,there are members who are upset other members are upset about this.

I'd ask again that we keep our comments here within the context of recovery. There are many many other places to vent our political spleens.

D
Old 11-14-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee. Emphasizing recovery, I meditate on the importance of guarding my most precious asset, hard won in a struggle which but for the help of others in recovery, might well have been lost. I have resolved to practice what I call internalized cognitive therapy. I will not be consulting a practitioner although I may do so if needed. I shall try to internalize those principles, many of them also practiced by followers of AA. Live one day at a time, don't dwell on things you cannot change, think about the good things, the beautiful things (everyone has some) those who have loved you, whom you may still love. Dwell on happy memories. And give thanks for the greatest gift of all- sobriety and the serenity which comes with it. For those who are religious, remember the wonderful thing that is said at morning services: "This is the day that the Lord hath made. Let us be joyful and glad in it." Also, "Thy will be done!" I want to reach out to you, my dearest friends, and say that I share your sorrow, your troubles, for I have seen many in my long life, some of them of my own making. Look now at the trees, the Autumn sun. ".. 'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.' (Keats, dying tragically but serene at the end)

Bill
Old 11-14-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

To be honest; I've been struggling with staying sober for a while now. Maybe I should of started a new thread on this. Low interest in doing anything. Drinking occasionally. Trying to find a reason to stop drinking. Not trying to make a political statement at all. I was at a low point before this happened. It just made me feel like just giving up so it does affect my trying to get sober. Just trying to dump a negative attitude to help me get through a rough time. I won't comment on this subject anymore. Just kinda hurtin right now, although there is NO EXCUSE to drink. John
Old 11-14-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John

I'm sorry you're struggling - are you still using AA?

D
Old 11-14-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi John

I'm sorry you're struggling - are you still using AA?

D
No, haven't been to AA in a while. Made the mistake of once again attempting to connect with some people there a few times, and just got ignored. I know most people shrug this stuff off, but that's just not the way I am. It's pretty much the same at other meetings so I'm not sure what to do. For some unknown reason, I'm just not the kind of person people at those meetings care to get to know. Just gets old after a while. I'll be moving at the end of January and will try some meetings there. Maybe it'll be different. Hope so. John
Old 11-14-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't comment on AA, not having any experience, but it seems to me you spend a lot of time beating yourself up for not being someone different John.

I think you're a good kind and decent human being- you do great work with children - and you're a great support here to other members.

I hope that maybe this is the year you'll accept that who you are is ok.

I honestly think that would make a real difference in your interpersonal relationships and the way you see them too

D
Old 11-14-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

John; i have only seen a few of your posts and I really dont know if you are a man of faith.
In my books the ground is level at the foot of the Cross.
In other words, we are all equal and all put our trousers on the same way. One leg at a time.
IMHO, men who love children and animals are the the very best kind of human.
Hold your head high; knowing you make a difference to those innocent souls in your charge.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=2muchpain;6208663]To be honest; I've been struggling with staying sober for a while now. Maybe I should of started a new thread on this. Low interest in doing anything. Drinking occasionally. Trying to find a reason to stop drinking. Not trying to make a political statement at all. I was at a low point before this happened. It just made me feel like just giving up so it does affect my trying to get sober. Just trying to dump a negative attitude to help me get through a rough time. I won't comment on this subject anymore. Just kinda hurtin right now, although there is NO EXCUSE to drink. John[/QUOTE

John:
You're right there is no excuse to drink but there is also a very good reason not to drink. Drinking makes it worse! I'll bet that there is no one on this SR website who honestly, on the basis of his or her experience, has found that drinking makes it better. It seems to make it better for a half hour or so but after that if continued for an alcoholic it makes it hell on earth. I've been to that hell and I'm only one of a large majority. I never want to go back there. Send me a PM if you care to.

Bill.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

((((John))))
You have lots of friends here who care very much. I'm sorry you're struggling and in pain my friend. Please hang in there, you have so many good reasons not to drink.

Bill, I think you are a wise, caring and kind soul.
And no matter where any of us falls on the spectrum of things I think it's important to remember we all have feelings and we are all affected in some way by things going on in our worlds.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hello all:

I have enjoyed this post!

I refuse to let my AV try to trick me with things I can't control!

No matter what I chose to live with hope. It's hard sometimes not to see pessimism, but NO! For me it's choosing and I'm choosing to keep rocking my life and doing my best, or trying my best...

Let's feed the good wolf...
Old 11-14-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Here's what I shared in a recent AA meeting about the election:

First let me thank everyone for carefully avoiding the topic of the long election process for most of the year. Now that the actual election is just done and the results are in I see that several shares occurred this morning that carefully mentioned the election. To me that understandable. After avoiding a hot topic for months it's kind of spilling over now that we know who won. What I want to share about the election and AA is this. Over the last several months I have attended a lot of meetings here and it is clear to me from the bumper stickers on peoples cars that we have people from both sides of the isle attending meetings here. But here we are week after week getting in the same room sharing our experiences about recovery. And I have been able to appreciate almost everything said by everyone without regard of your political affiliation. AA brings us all together no matter what our politics and at least for me that's a good thing. I think society in general would be better off if more folks who don't agree on politics took the time to get together and actually talked to each other. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

AAPJ: I agree with all you have said and would like to add a little more. What is the meaning of it all? Why are we here? What are we meant to do with the time we have? To me it seems that we are meant to reach out and to know one another. With knowledge comes understanding and then may come, if necessary, forgiveness both of one another and of ourselves for our own failings, for no one is perfect.
Towards the end of her life, the last ten years, my mother, struggling with strokes and increasing dementia, became bitter, against me and oddly enough against her long deceased husband. Her mother in turn had been difficult, toxically so, judgmental and controlling. My mother would say, "If you think I'm difficult what about my mother? Pretty Scary!" I heartily agreed. My mom lost her favorite child,my sister, who, after suffering schizophrenia for seven years, had a remission but then, failing to take her medicine, relapsed and took her own life in 1968. My mother, almost clinically depressed most of her life (having two hospitalizations when she was in her 30's), never really recovered, especially after her much loved only grandchild also killed himself in 1972. She struggled on until age 97, with strokes and increasing dementia. An heroic and tragic figure. Standing by her grave, close by the graves of those she had lost in the early Spring of 1997, in my ninth year of sobriety, I prayed, "Let them all be at peace now. Let it be over. Let God's Grace shine down upon them and wipe all the tears from their eyes."
I am old and my wife, hardly much younger than I, will be buried nearby, perhaps also in the early Spring. It is quiet there and in the Spring there are flowering trees.
So what I have to say is that the meaning I have found is Knowing one another, Understanding, Forgiveness and Love. Acceptance of what cannot be changed, starting the day with thanks for the day that the Lord has made, being joyful and glad for that, seeking to reason with one another, avoiding all hatred, reaching out to help those who ask for it. And forgoing what the Taoists call the "ten thousand things", excess of money, possessions, narcissism ("me!" "selfies"), obsession with "career" and seeking moderation, doing one thing at a time for by doing that all things are done.

Bill
Old 11-14-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I think that's as close to a purpose as we inherently have, Bill. To know and love each other, to take care of each other. I know I can come across as Pollyannaish sometimes but I sincerely believe in the power of hope. Not in a metaphysical way, not because some higher being will make things better but, but because we humans are nearly indomitable when we strive with the entirety of our being. As bad as the current situation looks we will get through it like we have endured everything else; with humor, compassion and determination. We're working a very high wire without a net but failure isn't an option.