Notices

Elections: Drinking

Old 11-09-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

"Now, what to do? Live. For us, stay sober. Quit b*tching. Focus on your local government. Did I mention stop b*tching? Whining and moaning and us blaming anything or anyone- for anything bad in our lives- is just like our "victimhood" in active addiction."

Respectfully, please don't. Don't tell others what to think or feel or do when they are in the midst of what they consider a crisis. It's too soon to suggest that people "get over it" when they come to SR for comfort. If it helps, take the topic away and just respond to the feelings of fear and despair that many are overwhelmed with, and the SR members' challenge not to use alcohol to deal with stress. Thank you for putting sobriety first. Anxiety is a trigger for some, and of course drinking only leads to more anxiety.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Wanted to say thank you awuh. Sober on.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
IF Trump wins tonight there is still a slim hope. The founders of our country set up a system to insure that a nut case could not take power. The "electors", i.e. those representatives who ACTUALLY vote to put a president in power are not bound to cast their votes as the public does!!!! Here is a quote from Wikipedia "Although no elector is required by federal law to honor a pledge, there have been very few occasions when an elector voted contrary to a pledge"

I take this to mean that electors are not required to follow the public's wishes, as expressed in the general election. I hope I'm correct about this and it's not my wishful thinking.

I have always had a problem with part of our system, at least until this election. Now I see the wisdom of it.
I agree 110 percent. Love this post. Ty.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Im very pleased with the outcome of the elections. I feel the American people have finally come together, and have sent a message to the establishment. Either way one voted, drinking isnt going to change anything. Like always.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stubbs16 View Post
I agree 110 percent. Love this post. Ty.
My apologies, I misunderstood the context of this post. But regardless, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Ya Stubbs, I was referring to the electoral college. It is possible that if enough of the 279 "electors", now tasked to vote for Trump (because of the popular vote in their states) do not feel that Trump is fit for office they could not vote at all or change their vote to Clinton. This could still make her president (believe it or not).

This election has been so extraordinary that it is not beyond possibility. It would take electors voting their conscience, assuming enough of them don't feel he is fit for the presidency. It's a long shot because the"electors" that would need to change their vote are Republican party loyalists ... but then again there are also allot of "never Trump" Republicans.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can I ask folks again to focus on the topic of drinking/using and elections?

It's obviously an important topic for several members who've posted here, including several newcomers.

If you need help please ask. If you have suggestions, please offer them.

Expressing your political opinion and then adding some kind of post script about drinking seems to me kind of a sneaky way of getting around the topic as laid down here.

Dee
SR
Old 11-10-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Nice thought, awh - but unlikely to happen, and if it did, there are many who seem to be actively itching for armed uprising. Ugh. Then again...this outcome, this candidate, was considered unlikely too. We live in increasingly dangerous geopolitical times, not too unlike those which Bill referenced above (and yes, I'm a keen student of history and politics, so not entirely speaking from personal fear).

As for drinking: well, I surely did yearn to do so, in part because it's not that long ago that I picked up on the angst around Brexit and our own similarly messy national election here, which almost coincided with that. And my own drinking history is stuffed full of memories / associations with election night parties, i.e. drinking with others or alone (increasingly) whilst almost getting a high (good or bad) with the intensity of it all.

But, no: I noticed the thoughts and urges, ate a bit more chocolate icecream (my current soother, making me fat), and got through it - surrounded by every conceivable live news blog in about 20 open tabs, plus multiple major TV stations (including from Europe, France, UK, here and the States), plus a running sms commentary back n forth with a like minded old friend. When my cravings were at their strongest, and as she still drinks a few times a week and at times like this: I offloaded them onto her, advising her to have a few drinks for me, which of course she was doing anyway. So she did the drinking that I didn't have to, and it really helped. The urges went away completely.

Quite proud of myself, to be honest, and hence didn't have to wake up this morning our time to resume reading all the commentary of the fallout AS WELL as suffering all the hell of having relapsed / chosen to drink and all that would likely transpire from that. I racked up another day sober.

I'm frankly grateful that this thread was started, as I was beginning to feel very alone and wondering if I was somehow a nutcase by considering political / social upheavals a major, massive trigger. One can't talk about it in AA. Nothing said at all at today's meeting, which is, in my opinion, kinda taking the preamble a tad too literally. Anyway. I had here to come to, thankfully. Very wise of the mods to allow a ring-fenced flexibility on rule 2 in order to give us a space to talk about our difficulties.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

whoops, must have cross-posted while you were doing your caution above Dee. Sorry!
Old 11-10-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries.

What I want to avoid is newbies getting ignored or political arguments breaking out.

We're all flying by the seat of our pants here...but as of now, I'm happy to let discussion continue so long as it's contextually grounded in recovery, no one asking for help gets overlooked, and no riots break out.

D
Old 11-10-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Quite right too, Dee.

Besides, there's plenty of riots going on in about every news and blog site comments sections and all over the internet, really. (And of course street marches, to remind me of how old and boring I am now. Sigh )
Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I am old enough to remember times when people were not pleased with what the government was doing and went out and peacefully demonstrated to make changes (Vietnam, civil rights), and it worked, so there is always hope. The power is still with the people. So, there's really no need to lose hope or drink thinking all is lost. There's always hope if we stay sober and keep our heads clear. John
Old 11-10-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Drinking crossed my mind due to election stress. But I console myself with a number of truths: I live in a non-swing state, so there is nothing I could do on a local level. I studied both candidates. I watched the debates. And I did my civic duty, and voted for the one I thought was qualified to lead the country. Although I am unsure about the future of my country, I know that drinking will not change the outcome of the election. I would wake up with a splitting headache, be back at day one, and nothing about the election would have changed. So I will continue to take it day by day. Thanks SR.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Really proud of all those who made it through this election without drinking! I'm proud of myself too, because all day yesterday I was feeling a nascent urge to drink heavily. I too concluded that Trump is not worth throwing away my almost 7 months of sobriety!

I told my mom of this urge last night, who is also sober. Her comment: "I'm so glad I am NOT drinking right now. That would be so much worse." How right she is! The only way out is through....
Old 11-10-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Kittycat, I have found this line of reasoning helpful. As in, "You're going to let THIS GUY make you give up your sobriety?" No way, we cannot give him that power. If it helps to keep us from drinking, it's a good way of thinking

I heard some folks on MSNBC mention that this feels like a breakup would feel (to many of us who wished for the other outcome). Have you ever gone through a really bad and painful breakup? I have. I remember that nagging sad and horrible feeling I had when I was going through it. I would go to sleep and have happy dreams and then wake up happy but then slowly... slowly I would become aware of my horrible reality (the breakup) and I would think "Oh yeah. That's still happening. Crap." That's how I felt when I woke up this morning. But each day is getting better as in any breakup, time will heal.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Had a chance to work at an elementary school today. They had a Veteran's day assembly. Military people from all branches were there. Kids singing a lot of patriotic songs. A kid from fourth or fifth grade would take turns coming up to the podium giving a brief history of each branch of service. Kids given little flags to wave. Each grade level got up to sing a song. The school had it's band playing along with them. Students from a middle school dressed in military uniforms, probably ROTC did some marching. I felt real lucky to be there. The principal broke down crying, saying she has wanted to do something like this for a long time. Talk about great timing. When you look at all these little kids, you know all is not lost. The future looked a lot brighter after watching all that. John
Old 11-10-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
"Now, what to do? Live. For us, stay sober. Quit b*tching. Focus on your local government. Did I mention stop b*tching? Whining and moaning and us blaming anything or anyone- for anything bad in our lives- is just like our "victimhood" in active addiction."

Respectfully, please don't. Don't tell others what to think or feel or do when they are in the midst of what they consider a crisis. It's too soon to suggest that people "get over it" when they come to SR for comfort. If it helps, take the topic away and just respond to the feelings of fear and despair that many are overwhelmed with, and the SR members' challenge not to use alcohol to deal with stress. Thank you for putting sobriety first. Anxiety is a trigger for some, and of course drinking only leads to more anxiety.
My apologies. Re-reading, I can see where some of my comments would be better off in a one-on-one, sponsor type conversation or otherwise different setting. Sometimes, I forget that no one can hear my voice- or, really, knows me, even the Fort Febs- so it may not come across that I am talking to myself as much as I ever am to anyone else. These comments definitely reflect where I am in sobriety (the eyes forward, let's go place where the b*tching does no good, and such) and I need to remember everyone is at a different place. I am very extreme in the stance that absolutely nothing matters more than my sobriety, and can sometimes be impatient with issues of triggers, circumstances, etc that I do know are very real situational risks for others.

Before I saw this post and wanted to respond, I had another thought related to "how to move forward" that I connected straight to recovery.

In AA we talk about being of service to others as a key part of our recovery. Before the election, I had made plans to have lunch today with a good friend who is quite different than me "demographically," in certain ways. As I was going to meet him I thought - "what if I made it a point to spend time with three people in the next week whom I respect, and who are different than me in these things we're so focused on right now? Who adamantly feel [ ] that is so different than how I see[ ] ?" etc. It made me smile and think, well, that's a "local" level thing I can do to be a good participant in this world, learn and see what my next steps are as I engage in whatever our "IS" will be. It would likely turn out to be an experiment in listening and relating that it would behoove me to make the norm.

Anyway, hope everyone gets a good night's rest tonight, since that's what we've got for now.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

August
Old 11-12-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Letting a presidential election dictate your Sobriety and life. And I thought I'd heard all the excuses.

~Bunnez
Old 11-12-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Congrats to all friends here staying sober and taking the moral high ground = not getting sucked in by emotional hemophiliacs. Job or no job , house or no house, wife or no wife , Donald or Hillary - I don't drink.

Frankly the temptation would be to celebrate the resounding charge of the financial markets. THIS I have to be careful of - failure or success are the same to this alcoholic.