Notices

I need to quit drinking

Old 11-08-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Guardian

I need to quit drinking

Hi!
So, not really sure what to post here. But I really need to quit drinking, and every little online assessment seems to think I have a drinking problem (I'm 23. I'm too young to have a drinking problem!), so... here I am!
I realized I drink all the time at work and today I got in trouble with my boss for it. Fortunately no one got hurt, but it made me realize I really, really need to stop. Also, yesterday I had a meeting with my psychiatrist (I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and bulimia... super fun) and she reminded me that alcohol and Prozac (the medication I'm on) don't mix well. Which still isn't good enough motivation for me to quit drinking, which kind of implies I have a problem I guess.

Anyway, just here to find some support in quitting alcohol completely. Moderation clearly doesn't work for me, so let's see how well just quitting outright works!
Old 11-08-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome TaniksHunter!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi TaniksHunter! I'm 25, always had a difficult relationship with alcohol, I knew that I was an alcoholic for sure from 23 onwards... Never too young to have a drinking problem!

I wish you well. Would you be open to trying AA or a similar group?

x
Old 11-08-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take it from someone who is 51...your life will be ALOT better if you get ahold of your alcohol problem. You are doing the right thing. You are so young and have your whole life ahead of you.

I am only on day 17 but I look back on my life and see the DECADES of alcohol abuse, wasted time and money, bad reckless decisions and PURE LUCK that I did not get into any serious trouble because of it.

Yes there were some fun drunken times but not worth everything else that went with them.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I got sober almost seven years ago and don't regret a minute of it. Only wish I'd done it sooner.

I hope our support and the wisdom found here can help you get sober for good.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and I think it's a great decision to get sober! I got sober at 26 and will admit it hasn't been easy. You will need a plan, someone to talk to and learn to be ok with being uncomfortable at times. But I've never gone to bed or woken up wishing I had taken a drink. It's the best decision I've made. You can do it!!!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Never too young. Welcome to SR! Lots of support. I wish you the best!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I agree, you aren't "too young" to have a drinking problem.

Time to stop and find a method to help you stay stopped!!

Glad you found SR!
Old 11-08-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TaniksHunter View Post

I realized I drink all the time at work and today I got in trouble with my boss for it.

she reminded me that alcohol and Prozac (the medication I'm on) don't mix well.
Those are both signs that I and some of my friends at work also shared with you early on in our lives. I barely made it through my career with a nice retirement check but, several of my drinking and using co- workers did not.

The writing may be on the wall for you
take time and read carefully.

M-Bob
Old 11-08-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a drinking problem at 23. Please confront the problem now. I wish I had. My life would have been different. Sadly, I had jobs that allowed or tolerated drinking at work. So I did not think of it as an issue. But it was, and it made drinking acceptable and harder to stop. I wish you the best.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
The first time I quit I was around your age. I definitely knew I had a drinking problem. I blacked out frequently, woke up in people's houses I didn't know looking for my clothes 23 is not too young to have a serious addiction. It just means you have a lot of years to waste and ruin and a lot of people to damage if you don't do something about it now. I hope you quit. It's way cooler being a non-drinker