Notices

diazepam and alcohol recovery

Old 11-08-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

diazepam and alcohol recovery

Simple question can diazepam now and again(sometimes around 100mg a day) maybe once a fortnight affect alcohol recovery? Although I have taken 20mg in a day also
Old 11-08-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Are you taking this as prescribed by your dr? 100 mg is an awful lot.

For me, and this is just me, any mind altering, addictive drug (I put sugar in this category too) keeps that substance to dopamine connection open. It keeps me from developing different ways of releasing dopamine (say exercise, or laughter or human connection) to make me feel good. So, for me, yes, it hinders my long term recovery.

Benzos are tricky for me because they act on the brain in the same way alcohol does. Hence the reason they are used to detox alcoholics (kind of like suboxone for heroin addicts...very controversial as its really only a legal opiate). Long term use is dangerous because of the very high potential for abuse and addiction.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take clonazepam for my severe anxiety and if anything it's helped me to stay away from the bottle to keep my panic in check, rather than turning to alcohol.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember: Do not ask for or give Medical advice.

The best thing is to talk to your dr about the connection.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies, I kinda think I am buying them on a Russian roulette scale as I ma buying them off people I know, not doctors. They do make me less stressed but I feel I need between 40-50mg per time for this!

It's just usually a Saturday night or every other Saturday as my days are very long and take this to wind down, although I probably recognise this is not a great way to go through things. I am coming up 2 months sober on the 11th as well
Old 11-08-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SBalonD View Post

I am buying them on a Russian roulette scale as I ma buying them off people I know, not doctors.
You remind me of me in the old days.
Careful -- that is dangerous.
Should only be prescribed under doctors care.
M-Bob
Old 11-08-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

100 mg is a huge amount. I occasionally take 5 or 10mg once in a while if my anxiety is extremely bad and I can feel an effect and after effects just from that. Please see your doctor to discuss your situation.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me personally my recovery must include abstinence from ALL mood altering ( addiction potential) drugs otherwise Ill find myself just substituting one for the other.

As has been advised, speak to your doctor about your situation.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Ooona View Post
For me personally my recovery must include abstinence from ALL mood altering ( addiction potential) drugs otherwise Ill find myself just substituting one for the other.

As has been advised, speak to your doctor about your situation.
Exactly .. Best to SBalonD
Old 11-09-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your courteous and informative replies. I can honestly take it or leave it, hence taking it once a fortnight as to "reward" myself as I am in a very physical job and exercise 6 times weekly. I thought it would help unwind me, but obviously this is not the case. I will just stop taking them altogether. Thank you!!
Old 11-09-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are correct probably not best to be thinking along the lines of rewarding ourselves.

In sobriety we no longer consider those things a reward.

MM
Old 11-10-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I totally understand that. I just like the feel of calming effects and although I am not addicted to benzos I can take 20mg on a Saturday if I want to, to just relax after a hard week work. My biggest fear is travelling and that is when I feel more comfortable and less anxious and will hopefully talk to my alcohol councellor about this when I get my first session with him in the next week or two.

I did stupidly took far too many this last weekend and still feel very lethargic so maybe I do have a problem of an addicition and taking things too far(seem to be complicating myself here). Maybe it's to cope with depression or getting rid of anxiety who knows.

My psychiatrist doesn't seem to do anything but prescribe tablets for bi-polar and just seems to want me out of his office without trying to get to the root of any problem.

Thanks for listening
Old 11-10-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SBD

I self medicated a lot with things like booze and pot - I can't see that self medicating with benzoes is any different or less dangerous - it may even be more so, so I'm glad you've decided to stop

If your p-doc is not giving you the kind of care you'd like, why not find another psychiatrist?

D