Notices

Where to start

Old 11-07-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to start

Hi everyone,
I am new to the form and new to admitting Im an alcoholic. I have been in denial for awhile now, but have become quiet scared of the lack of control I have over drinking. I think about it all the time. I say Im not going to drink today and I get the shakes, I get extreme anxiety, upset stomach, nausea and my memory is really bad. I don't eat If Im drinking and I do drink in the morning sometimes when Im home alone. My husband does not drink at all so Is always nagging me about my drinking so I have started doing it in hiding. I spoke to my Dr and have not been completely honest about the volume I drink. What scares me the most is the physical symptoms, when I don't drink, which I haven't told anyone about. Don't think AA could help with making those feel better Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-07-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Laureah!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Laureah, I'm glad you found us. You've taken the first step towards a better life so well done
Old 11-07-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Laureah, I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking and that you've talked to your dr. If you have any concerns about the physical withdrawals, don't hesitate to seek medical help. For me, during the first few days, I tried to do what I needed to do, but to take it easy.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Laureah,

I had to hate the booze so much that I was willing to go through anything to be free....withdrawals, admitting my problems, and taking a lot of time for self care. I also had to decide to quit for ME! I had been on and off of the sobriety train for three years, always expecting someone else to be my cheerleader, and it never happened.
This time I quit for me, and with that commitment I became my own cheering squad, and found the ability to love myself again.

Come here often for support, and forgive yourself for being an addict.

Blessings
Old 11-07-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I just told my mum I was going to AA meeting tomorrow and she said "Oh your not an alcoholic" My family are a few wines with dinner type so drinking is not a big deal. I told her everything, she just thinks I use alcohol to help my anxiety. Anyway I'm glad I told her exactly what where and when I drink . I think you are correct in that I have to do it for myself as nobody is going to be my cheering squad. Is it best to go cold turkey when quitting, not sure how I will cope
Old 11-07-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome! I have found that no matter what anyone else drinks I needed to stop drinking for me. Many times someone will say "Oh, one glass of wine won't hurt, but I know it is never just one glass of wine.

I tried to moderate my drinking unsuccessfully several times. Last NYE I decided I was done, and I haven't had a sip of alcohol since. I am so much healthier physically, and mentally. I use this forum as my main support. I read and post daily. The first few weeks I spent a ton of time on here, and it helped me stay accountable.

Two good threads are the monthly classes, you should join November, also, the 24 hour thread. Lots of great people. I still check in with my January class just about every day.

I am an avid reader, and Anna has a thread that lists some incredible books about recovery.

Looking forward to seeing you in here, let us know how your meeting went.

❤️ Delilah
Old 11-08-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

1. Drinking alcohol makes anxiety worse. It might help for a few hours, but after it wears off your brain produces a bunch of chemicals that increase your anxiety for weeks. The longer you drink the worse this effect becomes.

2. Your doctor may be able to provide some temporary medication to help with the withdrawal symptoms. Just tell him/her that you are addicted to alcohol so they can give you something that won't change one addiction for another.

3. My mother doesn't know everything, either. She had no idea how to be helpful, but she sure had a lot of opinions.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome laureah

I drank all day everyday for several years and my mum still doesn't think I'm an alcoholic

If you're worried about withdrawal, seeing your Dr is important.

Cold Turkey withdrawal can be dangerous for some of us, and I don't recommend it.

As for staying sober, you'll find a lot of support here - hope to see you around some more

D