Notices

Dr prescribed Antabuse today

Old 11-07-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr prescribed Antabuse today

After years of unsuccessful attempts and different methods I went to a Dr. today. I was brutally honest about my 20+ years of progressive alcoholism. She gave me 10 days of Ativan to ease anxiety to be used concurrently in the short term. No plans to make Ativan a regular medication.

I am so relieved to finally get it out there and try to make this a success. I think I can only get 120 days Antabuse before insurance expires, but I am going to make the very best of the next four months. Let my body start healing and also separately start working on the mental and emotional aspects.

Relief and hope. Nervous and excited at the same time of this may be it!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Kudos to you for seeing a doctor KissMyTiara, that is a brave step indeed! Glad to hear that you plan on working all aspects of recovery, not just the physical. Don't forget that SR can be part of that plan if you'd like, we'd welcome you to be a daily participant if you choose.

Regarding the antabuse, I think that if you still need it after the 120 days it's not prohibitively expensive but check with your doc. And 120 days is a while off, so don't worry so much about that anyway...just work on today!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

I was one that had a lot of stumbles till I finally got some long term sobriety. Unfortunately I relapsed and had a very difficult time "staying stopped" again. I went to a Doctor and asked for Antabuse. I had researched everything. He had to look it up in a PDF to prescribe it properly. I was also very honest with him and we had some good chats. He said I reminded him of his brother and some of his issues. In any event, that was long ago. I have not been perfect since, but mostly so. I did Antabuse for about 9 months as I recall. For me at that time, it was exactly the right thing to add. I "loved' the stuff as it took out the option and I could heal without fearing drinking again. It was a great tool to add that tipped the balance. I could not have imagined then what my life is today. It just was not a picture, I could have imagined. My life is good. I just wanted you to know that Antabuse did indeed help me at one time as an add on to other things I was doing. It gave me time to get honest and gain perspective.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you went to your Dr and that he/she was helpful and that you have hope that you can do this. I hope you continue to use SR as you begin your recovery.