Notices

Its been a month and still cant sleep

Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its been a month and still cant sleep

I tend to go to sleep when its dark and get up early. Tonight i woke up at 11pm and again at 3am. I dont know what im doing wrong. I do deep breathing and exercise every day. Its very annoying. I thought my sleep would b better by now. Over it.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I wouldn't think you are doing anything wrong Sweetichick. It simply takes time for our bodies and minds to re-adjust to not being sedated by alcohol all the time. Lots of things can also affect our sleep - like our diet and even our general mental state. Exercise can definitely help, making sure you are eating well and not eating too close to bedtime too. Also try and avoid stimulation within the hour or so before you go to sleep ( TV, internet, etc ). You could also have other conditions affecting your sleep - anxiety for example.

Either way, congrats on a month of sobriety. The fact that you are sleeping most of the night is actually a lot better than some who experience really bad insomnia initially. I had several almost totally sleepless nights when I quit the last time.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Patience.

My sleep patterns were all over the place for a year. The more I had regular exercise, the more it helped. I noticed also that my sleep was far better in the summer than in the darker months, and that continues even to this day. I'm sure that my use of caffeine is another factor, as well as sugar.

In sobriety, my body has seemed more sensitive to stuff in general. Stress is a big one as well.

All in all, what we need to do is just focus on recovery, focus on wholeness, fitness, balance, and living an abundant life. If we keep working bit by bit on recovery and living, the sleep issues will find some balance.

Try not to fight it. Try to remain accepting. I know how hard it can feel some days. But it does seem to help me to remind myself "this isn't forever. Today may be a challenge. I may be exhausted. But I'm also sober and my life is a gift".

It'll be OK over time...... it really will.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wake up like that sometimes.

I just get up and have a glass of milk, go to the bathroom and try to go back to sleep. Sometimes it's because of what I ate that day (or didn't eat/blood sugar.) Sometimes it was a bad dream or a fearful thought. Sometimes there's no reason.

If the milk and bathroom trick doesn't allow me to go back to sleep fairly quickly, I get up and watch 30 minutes of TV.

Are you worrying or replaying the past in these nocturnal awakenings? I've had to learn to let go of troubling thoughts. I will repeat "Sleep. S -L -E - E - P" over and over and not allow any other thoughts to creep in.

If I had sheep, I'd count them.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A month of sobriety is brilliant!

With regards to the sleep, mine is up and down too. Some people seem to start getting 8 hours after a week, other people seem to take months. For me, I have more energy so I find it harder to get to sleep. I get fidgety and restless even though I know my body is tired. I always wake up in the night and get up and read for half an hour or so. It's lovely and quiet in the middle of the night and when I go back to bed I get to sleep easier. Other times I'll sleep for 8 hours and want 10!

As you know, relaxation is key. Be patient with yourself and be proud of what you've achieved so far :-)
Old 11-04-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it takes some people longer than others to adjust to not falling asleep with booze sweetichick - if it's really worrying you tho, why not see a Dr?

D
Old 11-04-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetichick, hang in there it does get better, at 2 months clean now and just beginning to get the benefits of a good nights sleep. I have a desk job but go for walks when ever I can during breaks and try walk a little in evenings. I find at weekends when I swim and walk more my sleep is better, I also stopped drinking coffee and quit the cigs but vape now. I don't eat heavy after 7pm just a light snack 1 hour before bed. My bedroom is totally black-out with no blue light from computer and cool. I wish you luck and hope it clicks in soon as I am 100% sure it will, it just takes time and no booze.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey sweet chick
Lots of good advice here. You are early on so give it a bit more time....maybe go to bed a bit later?

But if it continues for more than a couple months maybe talk to your dr? Sleep is so important and suffering isn't okay. Maybe ask about melatonin or some other OTC sleep aide.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many thanks to all who replied. U guys are awesome.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going sweetichick?

D
Old 11-08-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I drink a calming tea. It has natural herbs for relaxation. I feel for you because I have a difficult time staying asleep and getting a really good rest. Boy, do I get cranky! I now listen to calming music and meditations with headsets so I can tune out the noises that jolt me awake. I really love to dream but, that means sleep!!! Zzzzz ♡CR