Notices

Two Weeks - Lots of Crying

Old 11-03-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Weeks - Lots of Crying

So I've made it to two weeks which might be the only thing I'm proud of today. I've been so irritable and sad and can cry at anything.

Granted, this year has been full of change...moving, deaths (yes multiple) of loved ones, job change for my spouse, and a potential coming job change for me.

I am buckling under the stress and I think dealing with a lot of the grief just now after avoiding it by drinking. And I'm sure also dealing with the physiological changes of quitting drinking. I feel like I could spin into depression. But I know I'm not going to drink. Some words of wisdom from the group, please?
Old 11-03-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No words of wisdom from me, sorry.

But I'm going through the same right now. My brain can't deal with all the emotions that come up now. I had a very tough year, too. But I wasn't dealing with anything, I just drank to keep going. Now being sober, I'm just a nervous wreck, crying all the time without knowing why. Let's hope it gets better soon!

Congrats on 2 weeks!
Old 11-03-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal View Post
No words of wisdom from me, sorry.

But I'm going through the same right now. My brain can't deal with all the emotions that come up now. I had a very tough year, too. But I wasn't dealing with anything, I just drank to keep going. Now being sober, I'm just a nervous wreck, crying all the time without knowing why. Let's hope it gets better soon!

Congrats on 2 weeks!
Thank you, and I'm happy you are sober! I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I'm glad to not feel so alone.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hi NewLeaf - make sure you are taking care of yourself.

Lots of water, nourishment and especially rest/sleep..

Also, I find taking a long walk helps to get my mind clear .. It allows me time to process things... Without distractions, people or anything.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
Some words of wisdom from the group, please?
as a drunk and a knucklehead (thats my 1st step), i dont offer advice and certainly not wisdom .... just experience

i went to aa and followed some direction and got some tools to deal with problems

one of the best tools offered is to pray for people i resent even if i dont mean it

great job on 2 weeks!!!

Old 11-03-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just hang in there. Getting sober this time I was really irritable and still can be but I never could cry. I sure wanted to though to release the emotions! Going thru things sober is going to benefit you much better. Do a few things you love to help make you feel better. It took me a few months to feel better but I also didn't have any major change. You can do this and two weeks is great.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cry if it helps! Drink lots of water - go for long walks - listen to music you love - get into a netflix series - try to focus on you and feeling good! You can do this!!!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice job on two weeks new leaf,
For me it was a long slow process to become an alcoholic. Kind of the same in reverse to become sober. Little by little each day is more enjoyable and I like myself a little more. Give it time and it will happen for you I'm sure of it. Your doing great.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

NewLeaf - I felt much the same way the first few weeks after quitting. It's to be expected, I think. We go through many phases as we begin to heal. I was angry & resentful at first - which was ridiculous because drinking was no longer fun or enjoyable in any way. Emotions will be all over the place, but everything will settle down and you'll feel hope again.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was at two weeks I felt like crying all the time and also was irritable as all get out. Now coming up on 7 weeks I'm still pretty irritable.

I had nothing in my life to cause me to be depressed but depressed I was.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there NewLeaf. It'll be worth it to stick it out.

It's okay to cry...really. Some people sort of freak out or panic when people cry. I think it's a stress response as much as anything else in some cases...

Also, it's normal to feel more emotional right now. But I like to remind people that they can also look forward to feeling more positive emotions too when they take the numbing substances away.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you checked out the October support thread yet, NL? tons of support there - all you need to do to join is post...

D
Old 11-03-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Group support helps me a lot. Not just here, but f2f.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Two weeks is great, and I know my emotions were still all over the place at that stage.

Like Dee said, joining a monthly thread can be very helpful, I still check in with my January peeps all the time. I also find the 24 hour thread very helpful. You will start to make connections on SR and you will definitely find lots of support.

If you feel that isn't enough there are lots of options for face to face support. Counselors, AA, Smart, Celebrate Recovery. Try them out and see if one idea good fit, or take pieces of each and craft your own plan.

I look forward to seeing you on SR!
Old 11-03-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
You've had a great deal of big changes and grief to deal with right in the beginning. That's hard and I'm so sorry you're going through all this. The other side of the coin is, that you are facing these things head -on, without drinking. That takes courage, and you're doing it. That's a huge positive-even though it probably doesn't feel like it. The things you're sad about are valid, so your emotions are not off kilter in light of what you have going on. It's ok to feel sad, and even overwhelmed at times. Hang on to the notion that it won't always be this way, because it won't.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I vote you may have "learned helplessness".

A deeply held (FALSE) belief that only poison booze comforts you,

and that you're helpless to finally truly recover.

Most defeat their learned helplessness through sober analysis, and specific successes.

All only with realizing they DON'T NEED POISON BOOZE!

Old 11-04-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me, learning how to feel and then deal with my emotions is extremely difficult. When I first started trying to stop drinking, the shock of 20 years of unprocessed emotions hitting me in one go knocked me off my feet. Repeatedly. Thankfully, with some of the tools that everyone talks about, I am much better, although not quite there yet.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Coming to face and feel our emotions is part of being sober and is part of the gift of life.

It is hard and intense at first because we spent so long avoiding our lives and emotions, but hang with it. It really is a blessing to live with presence and feeling. There is grief and sadness in life but also joy and love and elation.....

Life is beautiful with all of its aspects. It does get easier and better. Keep at it. Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 11-04-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Two weeks is fantastic and getting and staying sober isn't easy! The last time I went through a short period of recovery, I cried so much and that was really linked to my feelings of shame about what I'd done when intoxicated. I was never someone that cried at all during using or when I was a kid so I think early recovery brought it all out for me.

Now I'm back after a relapse and it feels different. I don't feel any shame and I haven't cried. It doesn't mean that this time is more smooth sailing than before my relapse, but it's just different. Crying really can help. I despise romantic films, but I watched Safe Haven with a friend the other night and I was a blubbering mess haha which just shows how up and down the emotions can be in early recovery!

Know that every day will be different. I was full of bags of energy and felt elated for no reason yesterday. But today I couldn't get my day started properly, I don't feel good physically and I just feel fed up. Nothing has happened, but it's just how it is at the moment.

Be patient with yourself, be kind and without sounding boring, watch what food you are eating! I tend to stop eating all together when I'm having a bad time and it's important to make sure that you're nourishing your body. It will help your mind so, so much.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress. I'm Day 13, still cry at commercials, frustration. The thing that is helping me the most is journaling, pouring my thoughts out so I can let them go but know they will still be there for me if I want them back. That, and my faith is keeping me going. Positive Energies to you!