Notices

Help...detox for alcohol & marijuana

Old 11-03-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help...detox for alcohol & marijuana

Hello everyone...This past month was one of the hardest of my life. A close friend of mine died in a tragic car accident three weeks ago, and since then i've fallen hard. I've been drinking and smoking marijuana everyday since, and I can't take it anymore. I'm to the point where I need to drink and smoke to even feel normal, not even getting drunk or high.

I am considering entering a detox program, but I am very concerned because there are two substance which i'm dependent on. I've quit both in the past, but individually never together.

Does anyone here have experience with detox for these two substances? I know they can treat the alcohol withdraw effects with medication, but what about the marijuana? If I don't smoke I get severe symptoms: zero appetite (anorexia basically), severe anxiety, no sleep...

Also, I don't think that the medical attention will alleviate all discomfort, but what should I expect in the detox? Is it complete hell? How long does the 'hell' last?

Thank you all so much, I don't know where else to turn to right now.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SK

I have no experience with meds for either detox. I think seeing your Dr would be the best bet seeing as your reaction to detox is obviously pretty pronounced?

D
Old 11-03-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi SK

I have no experience with meds for either detox. I think seeing your Dr would be the best bet seeing as your reaction to detox is obviously pretty pronounced?

D
But what is my Dr. going to do? I just have a primary care, they don't have a detox program?
Old 11-03-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a Dr SK. I have no idea what they might do, but not seeing one seems counter productive here.

Won't you need to see a Dr about your alcohol withdrawal anyway?

If your withdrawal from pot leaves you with anorexic type symptoms, extreme anxiety and insomnia, your best bet is to see a Dr, surely?

I'm not trying to be unhelpful. Maybe they have doctors especially skilled in detox in CA? I'd look for one of those if you're concerned.

My pot withdrawals were very mild compared to yours so I really have no experience to share there except to reassure you they do pass.

D
Old 11-03-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not a Dr SK. I have no idea what they might do, but not seeing one seems counter productive here.

Won't you need to see a Dr about your alcohol withdrawal anyway?

If your withdrawal from pot leaves you with anorexic type symptoms, extreme anxiety and insomnia, your best bet is to see a Dr, surely?

I'm not trying to be unhelpful. Maybe they have doctors especially skilled in detox in CA? I'd look for one of those if you're concerned.

My pot withdrawals were very mild compared to yours so I really have no experience to share there except to reassure you they do pass.

D
Thanks
Old 11-03-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi solid

great courage

prayers

God bless

Old 11-03-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you aren't in crisis mode you can google detox facilities in your area and call them directly. They may or may not need a drs referral. You can also set up an apt with you primary care dr who may or may not give you meds for home detox. Your insurance company also can give you information about the facilities that they contract with. If you need help asap, go to the ER, they can help you there and get you into a detox facility....but be ready to go from there.

Yes, a medically supervised detox from alcohol will involve benzos like Ativan. I certainly smoked a lot of pot in my youth but never developed a true physical addiction. I don't know what they do for that. But if you check into a detox facility they should help you with sleep and other psychological issues.

But it all starts with drs, either at the ER, your GP, or a detox facility. Good luck and sorry for your loss.