Notices

changes, fears...oh my

Old 11-03-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

changes, fears...oh my

threw out my cork screw, that was a lot harder than I expected, almost pulled it out of the trash thinking just in case. the I realized, just in case what? I decided to drink? DUMB! so, it went to the. urb and will be gone when I get home. considered tossing my crystal rocks glasses and realized they are the perfect t size for candles, which I love and shied away from when I was drinking in case I forgot to blow it out or knocked it over. I am slowly getting rid of things, or repurposing. sin e 8 make candles perfect use for martini glasses. someone asked me what I would do for company, easy, not serve alcohol. not ready to be around it that way.

cravings are getting stronger. trying hard to pinpoint my triggers. luckily (sortof)I'm still recovering from a bad fall my last night, when it gets strong I look at my bruises and ask if I think I could survive another like that. since no furniture was damaged or moved, and the bruises are on both sides of my body and the top of my head I'm guessing I did t navigate stairs well. don't remember.

any suggestions for dealing with cravings? pretty sure they are emotional, not physical.

thank you for the tremendous support. . pretty sure I wouldn't have made it this far without, and wish I could offer hugs to so many to say thank you for taking the time to write to a stranger and share your story and encouragement. You_Rock_
Old 11-03-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Two things that have worked for me are having a list of ready to go distractions and urge surfing. There are some posts that I have saved on these but I can't find them now. Please look these up.

Nothing good comes from drinking. It is definitely time to put the corkscrew to the curb!
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had to get rid of my drinking paraphernalia too. Certain glasses and items had to go. I'm actually selling my whole gaming computer set-up because although I've tried, I can't play games without getting overwhelming cravings and falling into bad habits. It was a hard decision but I know sobriety requires big changes for me as I've tried and messed up many times.

With regards to cravings, I really believe in the HALT thing (avoid being hungry, angry, lonely or tired). I also have boiled sweets because the sugar seems to help when the cravings get very intense. I've also been known to get in a bath when I feel like I'm about to put my shoes on and go out for booze. If I'm in the tub, it at least buys me some time to get my head in the right place!
Old 11-03-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Raeven - look up H.A.L.T. When I first stopped (just 20 days ago), someone brought that up. These are common triggers and found some good info about how to deal with them.

I have had a couple doosy of falls as well - something that propelled me further to stopping. Well, I have had many bruises and such that I don't remember getting but a couple months ago, I fell down the stairs. The last one, I fell off my sons bunk bed and broke a sturdy wooden stool with my chest - that was 3 weeks ago. I ended up in the ER, had huge bruises, and still have pain.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nmd

Putting the "backup plans" to the curb is a great idea. I tossed a lot of home brewing related things. Buying alcohol for "someone else" is also risky business. Know your own triggers and get rid of them.

As far as dealing with urges or triggers, the classic HALT triggers are always a good place to start. Are you craving a drink, or are you just Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? Deal with those first.

Urge surfing was mentored. There's a couple links on here about it, but briefly, a craving won't last more than a few minutes, urge surfing is sort of watching the urge from the outside. Making note of how you feel, your breathing and muscle tension, observing the craving reallly. After short time, it will pass. The idea is to ride it out like a wave of wmotions, rather than white knuckle it and create more tension.

I personally also like AVRT, (addictive voice recognition technique), part of the rational recovery program. The main idea being if we decide to be sober, we can have it instantly, but there is an inner "addictive voice" sometimes called the beast. It is important to recognize the AV and not give it control or feed the addiction with continued drinking. We are sober, the av wants us to drink. With time the addictive voice gets quieter.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks all

I will be looking up some of these tips. thank you
Old 11-03-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you working a program? How long have you been sober?

Good suggestions here - I don't focus on or really believe in "triggers," per se, for drinking. I believe in things that can weaken, threaten or impair my emotional sobriety, call them triggers or whatever for that part. I haven't had physical cravings but I use HALT every morning. I also take Campral (an anti-craving med) as part of my daily rx regimen- if this has worked to completely prevent cravings (people report different levels of assistance with this and other meds), then amen and I'll take it forever. Anxiety and an "amped up feeling" in my chest are also two signs I would be approaching an unsteady mind-place, so I have a med on hand to take as needed (now I can leave it at home some days and be ok) as well as specific prayers, a sponsor I can call, etc.

I also use distraction when needed- naps, going to bed early (rest is a huge thing for me)- and I keep my days pretty full. Planning is key. I work a lot of meetings into my schedule as an avid AA-er- four to six a week is my sweet spot here at 254 days sober.

I also find that having a routine around my recovery work is essential. Making it purposeful, not random, sporadic or vaguely planned. Every morning I write five things down in my day planner and cross them off: SR, daily devotional book (right now I use Keep it Simple: Daily meditations for 12 Step Beginnings and Renewals, which is a Hazelden publication), the daily meditations from Friar Richard Rohr and the CAC, HALT, and I read pp 85-88 and 417-418 of the Big Book. When I walk the dog I also read the daily devotional from a Bible app that my boyfriend (also in recovery) and I share. This is about 1-2 hours of morning work. I get up early enough to do it every day, regardless of what I have planned.

Good luck. Keep not drinking, develop and work a program and build your tools to stay sober.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Going to AA meetings, reading the Big Book, participating on SR actively, committing to daily exercise, taking up a new or renewed hobbby, being active in sobriety-related things every day.... these were all essential to me in dealing with cravings. I found cravings passed quickly and readily when I was tending to things that kept me busy and focused on my desire for sobriety and a better life. Complacency, old habit, old surroundings, falling into the 'same ol same ol' patterns that were the framework of my addiction.... these things always led me back to drinking.

I had to build a new framework and I had to work on it every day. Actively. When I did that.... cravings held little power.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Complacency, old habit, old surroundings, falling into the 'same ol same ol' patterns that were the framework of my addiction.... these things always led me back to drinking.
Yes! Well put FreeOwl!
Old 11-03-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Raeven! Well done on throwing out your cork screw

Here's some things that I found helped with my cravings:

- eating a really big meal, drinking lots of water
- I found it helps to eat food with intense tastes like salty crisps, sweets or very spicy, hot food
- if I crave especially the taste of white wine I drink some cold sparkling water with lemon or lime in it (got that tip from my boyfriend and surprisingly it works quite well)
- I write down why I would wanna drink and what I hope it would make me feel like, rethink it and write down why I ACTUALLY want to drink and how it would make me feel
- I try to distract myself (vacuuming, phoning my mum, read or post on here)

And avoiding "triggers" but that's not always possible. For me a big trigger is being home alone or just being confronted with reality, having to deal with everyday life, so I won't be able to sneak my way around that for sure!
Old 11-03-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Some really good suggestions above. Part of my recovery has been replacing the time I drink with alternate activities I enjoy. The first few weeks I really scheduled every minute of the time I would normally drink with walks, reading, kid activities, the gym, classes..

Just reading about your classes sounds like maybe you enjoy crafts. Maybe you can venture off on a DIY project. Michaels and Home Depot also offer free classes on different projects (Michaels might charge a small fee, not sure on that)

Another big part of getting recovery to stick this time for me was the fact that I was completely done with alcohol. I didn't have any big rock bottom, I had just had enough of the effects drinking was having on every aspect of my life. Your post sounds like you are there as well.

Check out the 24 hour thread, and also join the November class, they are both good supports. You can do this!!!

❤️ Delilah
Old 11-03-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, get rid of that darned corkscrew. Good work.

In my opinion, objects that have to do with drinking such as glasses that are specifically for drinking can be triggers for a lot of people. Just as syringes can be triggers for IV drug addicts...and certain "crackling" sounds can be triggers for those who like crack...not saying that's always the case. But, it's good to be aware of what are indeed triggers for yourself and have a plan in place to deal with them.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great ideas on cravings here Raeven
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 11-03-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

After days sober you know its mental.

You didn't have cravings before knowledge of poison booze.

Recover your previous inner self,

and make friends with the now wiser you.

Becoming true best friends STRONGER together.