Notices

Drunks think "I need it", Normals don't . . .

Old 11-01-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Normal is as normal does.

The challenge is for us (once we have seen that our active alcoholic 'normal' is damaging to us and making our lives unmanageable) to change our normality by adopting new and different habits and attitudes and thought processes over a sustained period. To recover from that old mind set and 'normal'. Thing is, even when we're not drinking and working out recovery plans to the hilt, we nevr just become 'Normies'. We still remain alcoholic, but our new normality is being an alcoholic in recovery. And that can be a very happy and freeing place to be.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Although that may your anecdotal experience, there are millions of people around the world who have never been addicted who do view use of alcohol as big negative. Many Muslims, Orthodox Jews, Pentecostal Christians, Straight-edgers, Buddhists, (to name only a few) do not imbibe based on moral principles.
Seeing something as a negative in one's life or against one's moral principles, is not the same as seeing something as 'bad.'

more anecdotal...and btw, most of my friends in CA are Orthodox Jews, and almost all my friends here in TX are Pentecostal Christians, and I believe there are some Buddhists here on SR, and although they may not drink alcohol, none of them see is as 'bad.'
Old 11-02-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well, NoelleR, a Buddhist wouldn't often see something in terms of "good" or "bad" anyway, so yeah it's just semantics.

I think there are lots of ppl who see use of any substances as a "bad" thing, both for themselves and for society as a whole. For those who choose to view it as "bad", they may be doing so in an effort to shift their existing paradigm surrounding alcohol and their use of it. If that method works for them, then I'm not going to tell them they are incorrect.