SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Replacing alcohol with running (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/399740-replacing-alcohol-running.html)

leasha24 10-30-2016 09:51 PM

Replacing alcohol with running

/I'm 10 months sober and have never been more happy and healthy. I'm running a relay race from San Francisco to Napa this weekend. The race I'm running is called Ragnar and Ragnar decided to feature my story about sobriety and running on their forum. Check it out if you have time.

https://www.runragnar.com/ragnar-roa...k-ragnar-napa/

Sober'sBest 10-30-2016 10:14 PM

Thanks for the inspiration... Reminding how extensive activity excludes abuse.

I love it too... especially bike riding, hiking, weightlifting, self-defense training , etc.

Isn't the activity's HEALTHY HIGH and long lasting WONDERFUL BENEFITS much better than crazy cheap false euphoria from booze?

BRAVO !

Newlight7 10-31-2016 02:57 AM

Thank you for your inspiration! I'm almost a month sober. I, too, am using running as my fuel. There's no better feeling than clearing your mind and pounding the pavement! The whole rest of the day I feel so uplifted.

waywardson8260 10-31-2016 04:00 AM

Congratulations leasa! I have been a long time runner myself and I highly recommend it as a tool for recovery. I'm walking now as age and the last couple of times I started running again some nagging minor injuries popped up but I will always be a runner at heart. I am fine and very healthy and attribute a lot of that to running.

Your story is an inspiration! Good luck and most importantly have fun during that race!

FLCamper 10-31-2016 04:24 AM

Really nice story. Congrats to you on 10 months.
(I've done a Ragnar - very fun event)

Mountainmanbob 10-31-2016 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by leasha24 (Post 6192236)

I'm 10 months sober and have never been more happy and healthy.

I'm running a relay race from San Francisco to Napa this weekend.

That's cool but, don't get addicted to running.
For I know of many runners who have destroyed their knees.
My wife was a runner -- knee operation due to excessive pounding.
Several of my older ex running friends -- knee and hip replacements.

In the long run bicycle riding is much better.

M-Bob

totfit 10-31-2016 04:46 AM

Kudos. A great story and parallels some of how I stay sober also. If it were not for running and other physical activity my "head" would not be right.

entropy1964 10-31-2016 04:57 AM

Congrat Leasha and you look beautiful! I also find much escape and relief in exercise. Running and hot yoga. Let us know how the race goes!

STDragon 10-31-2016 05:11 AM

Nice, very nice. You must be really proud. I know us runners love to collect mementos, t-shirts, meddles, bibs but this beyond that. Do you have it framed on your wall?

Yes, some runners do blow their knees out but many don't like my 79 year old father who ran three half's and countless ten's this summer.

The sport is more that just getting up and running. One should include a regime of resistance training, stretching, physiotherapy, healthy eating and proper equipment to protect those feet, knees, hips, back and other body parts.

I love that you have word 'Happy' on your leg. I've been playing with the idea of a small tattoo, that would be a good one.

MissPerfumado 10-31-2016 05:34 AM

Truly awesome, Leasha. You are inspirational!

Oct142016 10-31-2016 05:50 AM

Awesome!

I am also trying to use running and other physical activity to aid in recovery. I have run in the past though - ran and finished many races as an alcoholic. Hoping to see what I can accomplish this time without alcohol.

Bunny211 10-31-2016 06:25 AM

I did the same thing! I logged 15 miles last weekend and 9 miles this weekend. It feels SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good to get out in the fresh air and just MOVE.

leasha24 10-31-2016 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob (Post 6192392)
That's cool but, don't get addicted to running.
For I know of many runners who have destroyed their knees.
My wife was a runner -- knee operation due to excessive pounding.
Several of my older ex running friends -- knee and hip replacements.

In the long run bicycle riding is much better.

M-Bob

Thanks for the words of warning. I am a physical therapist assistant and running doesn't destroy your knees. I have read numerious research articles on this issue because I always get asked about it.

What will destroy knees though is - bad running form destroys knees, muscle imbalances destroy your knees, overtraining and trying to do too much too soon destroys your knees, not stretching and doing strength training will destroy your knees

and in the end I see way more patients who are non-runners with bad knees then runners with bad knees......

Bobbieka 10-31-2016 12:45 PM

Way to go, leasha! Great article.

Gonnachange 10-31-2016 12:48 PM

Great read Leasha!

STDragon, you are so right about the accumulation of swag at the races. I've kept all my medals and bibs in a box, but constantly wear the shirts.

soberlicious 10-31-2016 05:35 PM

I love this!!! I've taken a break from running...but want to get back at it. Like Waywardson said, always a runner at heart <3
Great article and great job on your new life without alcohol. It's so much better on this side of it!!!

Lucie29 10-31-2016 05:56 PM

Not only is it inspiring that you have become such a great runner and found a new positive group of friends, but that you are willing to be so open about your struggles and recovery. I feel very similar to you, 31 and have 7 months sober, very athletic, yet a blackout drinker. I have a hard time even telling close friends about my recovery and past, let alone post it on a running page. That is truely what inspires me. Congratulations on your running, recovery, and strength! Your story for sure is helping many others.

noneever 10-31-2016 06:57 PM

Congratulations! Your story is inspiring :)

Juhan 10-08-2017 07:22 AM

Leasha24, are you still checking this post and if so, are you still running? And are there others out there running as part of their recoveries?

DangerZone 10-08-2017 07:25 AM

Eminem actually did the same thing when he kicked his pill addiction.

Eminem used exercise to overcome a drug addiction - Business Insider

Congratulations on your sobriety!