SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Trying to share some inspiration for newcomers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/399734-trying-share-some-inspiration-newcomers.html)

tnman1967 10-30-2016 04:39 PM

Trying to share some inspiration for newcomers

Maybe this can help someone, it helps me to share that I do know. This weekend has been a very productive weekend and a good example of what you can do in sobriety. It only mean something to an addict. Normal people do these things without even thinking about it. I came home Friday and had big plans for the weekend. I washed two vehicles and went to the movies on Saturday. Did weekly grocery shopping today and hiked 7.5 miles up a mountain. About three and a half years ago this weekend would have been dramatically different. The same dreams and plans would have popped up. The difference would have been that I would have stopped at the store to pick up two cases of beer. My intention would have been to drink maybe three or four of those on Friday evening. Boom, fast forward to about 8 am Saturday and I would wake up with a splitting headache, nausea, and extreme anxiety after finishing probably 17 or 18 of those beers. I would drag myself out of bed and force down another beer to settle my stomach somewhat. Go back to bed and lie there most of Saturday. Thinking and worrying about who I called and what I said to people online or over the phone. If I was lucky to not leave the house I would have at least no police interaction. If I left the house all bets would have been off. Thanks God I don't have to live like that anymore. Hopefully this will give hope to someone who just quit. You can do it and this is so much better.

january161992 10-30-2016 04:47 PM

great story tnman

mine is similar

we can do this!

:You_Rock_

soberlicious 10-30-2016 04:48 PM

So true! I remember all my plans to do fun things and accomplish things that never happened because I sat and drank to the exclusion of everything else (making big drunken plans all the while though lol).

Some weekend days I still laze around all day, veggin' in my nightie. But I do it because I feel like it, not because I'm sick and can't function. It feels so amazing to actually enjoy a true lazy day!

Mattq2 10-30-2016 05:02 PM

TNman,
Great story! You remind me of me both the before and after😀

lovetolisten 10-30-2016 05:41 PM

Good stuff

MidnightRider 10-30-2016 06:15 PM

Good stuff!

I hated wasting a weekend drinking too.

Not to mention the feeling on Monday when you are still drunk from weekend.

CajunPrincess 10-30-2016 09:42 PM

Love this. Thank you

Pattik57 10-30-2016 09:50 PM

Thank you...I can definitely relate to so many lost days

theVman31 10-30-2016 10:54 PM

Thanks for that.