Notices

Emotionally vulnerable

Old 10-30-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotionally vulnerable

I'm surprised that little things set me off these days (8 days sober). I'm fine, then something happens or gets said and I'm in tears. This is new to me. I do recognize that previously I probably would have popped a cork and had a glass of wine. I can't do that now. I WON'T do that now. But what is up with the emotional roller coaster? Is that common??
Old 10-30-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep - that was me after a week or so as well - it calmed down quite quickly.
I told everyone I was really tired and overwhelmed, because one work colleague in particular was a bit taken aback by the sudden fragility. To be fair, so was I.

It got better fast, but there were a few rocky days there. That's not to say it won't come back, but I do feel a lot more emotionally secure now than I did when I was drinking.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you

I appreciate it
Old 10-30-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yah. I was fragile, too. Weepy, emotionally on edge in the first few weeks. Part of the process, I guess.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

huge congrats on your 8 days. well done

yes its normal. its you getting used to feeling emotions rather than supressing them using alcohol. it takes time but the emotions will level off as you learn
Old 10-30-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol affects the body chemistry significantly. There's a lot of rewiring going on internally when one gets sober. I didn't realise it at the time but I was quite emotional and shaky too for a while. I didn't realise it because I was so relieved at being sober and clearheaded! It sure beats being hungover ... and it will improve with time.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

8 days is fantastic.

Yep I totally relate. This time, I was in treatment at 8 days and I'm pretty sure that was the exact time that I couldn't stop crying. Seemed every group therapy session was on feelings. I'd sit there just fighting back the tears. For me I think a lot of it is my poor brain simply freaking out without alcohol, and part of it is the flood of feelings.....regret, embarrassment, shame, sadness.

I'm always overly sensitive in the early days. It does get better....I hope! I'm still trying to figure things out. Hang in there.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I got sober, I realized how I tended to use alcohol, drugs, food, relationships, work and other obsessions to escape/transform reality. Apart from all the rewiring of the body, it takes a while to get used to life unaltered, inside out. I sometimes felt like losing my mind and really craved mind-altering drugs, and after a relapse, I went on some psych meds for a while to make it easier. I am off all meds now and the craziness went away. I do have anxiety every now and then and my thinking tends to get very multi-dimensional at times, but it is nothing like while drinking or after quitting.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Raeven View Post
But what is up with the emotional roller coaster? Is that common??
i was like that ...

before i got an apartment after high school and spent 11 years trying to drink myself to death

during my 11 year drinking career

now as a sober member of aa

i have a chance to work on my emotional and mental disorders as long as i stay sober

Old 10-30-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm working on day 10 or 11.. I'm not counting but same emotional state here..
Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel similar (on day 11). I'm just over sensitive and literally anything can make me cry these days.. I hope it gets better soon, I can't stand myself right now. I'm not used to this level of emotions and I confuse myself
Old 10-30-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, it is nice to know I'm not alone. I think it will get better, sometimes knowing you are not alone helps make it better.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Perhaps when we take away a substance from our brains/bodies we are more sensitive-partly because we are less 'numb'. But also because we do perceive things differently.

Another thing: Many people use substances to numb emotional pain. Take that away and you feel it a lot more acutely.