Notices

Bachelor party!! Help!!

Old 10-31-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Man. I posted a reply this morning but the iPad was dying so I guess I didn't show up.

Ok so bachelor party. Well I wanted to avoid going out and doing crazy things, but of my 3 groomsmen only 1 knows about my drinking problem, and I don't know why but I can't bring myself to tell the others. I guess I don't want them to see how messed up my life has become since we were kids.

So I told them I had paper to write the next day and wanted to do something mellow. We ended up staying home and having a movie marathon and Chinese food. But they picked up my favorite beers and I didn't have any way to get out of it without saying I'm quitting. I was trying to think of an excuse but I kinda ended up just taking a very long pause, and then it was just put into my hand and so I ended up having 3 beers that night.

And now I am married and I had a bit to drink at the wedding. I was nervous about the first dance (I don't know how to dance and we couldn't afford lessons) and my friend actually had a flask and offered me some bourbon. It felt like, oh well I did it yesterday so why not? Which is a bad attitude to have, but I told myself the old line of I will quit tomorrow.

I'm telling myself that it's fine because I won't drink on the honeymoon. I wont be around any temptation. So that will get me back to 1 week sober pretty easily. I mean easy compared to normal when I'm home and I'm bored and alone and I want to drink or like if I had a long day at work. My honeymoon should be stress free so it should be an easier time then during a normal week.

So I'm starting back at 0 days. I am optimistic about it still. I didn't get drunk in any of these situations, but I know myself well enough to know I won't be able to keep doing that for long. If I drink I will eventually need to get drunk everyday like I used to.

I don't want to get back to that and I know the only way to prevent it is to just stop. But it's amazing how any little thing seems like a good enough excuse to start again.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"Which is a bad attitude to have, but I told myself the old line of I will quit tomorrow."

That was a line I told myself over and over again. There is always tomorrow and tomorrow turned into weeks, months and years.

25 years later at the age of 55, I finally quit.

Don't throw your tomorrows away. Quit today and forever.

Congratulations on your marriage. Make it a wonderful life with no regrets.

I wish I had.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well it's not the end of the world! Ya know, I understand about not being able to tell people you quit. I have that same problem. Only a few people know but I avoid most drinking situations because Of exactly what happened to you. It's lasted me 4 months and people are probably wondering where I went lol. It sounds soooo simple to say in my head and I should be proud. I don't beat myself up though about it and just keep on pushing. Hopefully we can say it with confidence one day! I usually just make up an excuse of something I have to do after that event
Old 10-31-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t want to disillusion you, but if your object is to be sober, I really think you need to stop considering having a little bit to drink is some kind of win.

If you're a drinker like me, control is an illusion - It was the first drink that always landed me in trouble, not the last.

D