Notices

How to De-Stress?

Old 10-27-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to De-Stress?

Okay, so a week into not drinking now and I have had the most head spinning, busy day at work. Usually I grab a six pack on the way home, but that's not an option anymore.

I've exercised the last couple of days but know for sure that I'm too exhausted for that today. What have all of you turned to to de-stress after work now that you're sober?
Old 10-27-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

i do an hour of hard cardio (almost) everyday and then go to a meeting (almost) everyday

i also mess around with my rocks and cactus garden

Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I'd have said exercise, but that's not on the table today. How about an AA meeting? Also, I used to do jigsaw puzzles.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Normally I don't watch much TV but last night I found myself vegging out in front of it... Kept me from snacking all night long....

Tonight, I'm going to the gym to do nothing but sit in the hot tub and steam room (Sore back). I might even hit the therapy pool if there are no classes.

January, who you got buried under those rocks?

Last edited by STDragon; 10-27-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-27-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yoga...? A nice Yin yoga class, maybe, at a slow relaxed pace to focus on stretches and flexibility. In fact, I'm going to book one in for myself right now!
Old 10-27-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Warm bath. Cup of tea. A walk, just to get moving a little, not for exercise. Read a book - nothing heavy, just something fun. Play candy crush or something similar. Cuddle a pet if you have them. Cuddle a human if you can. Learn to meditate. Get a coloring book for grown-ups. Write in a journal. Go to a meeting.

The above are all things I do when I need to de-stress. Not all on the same day. You'll find a few things that really work for you, way better than drinking ever did anyway.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me too, adult colouring books, excercising, meditating, caring for, hugging and stroking my pets. Plus, I enjoyed challenging game/puzzle apps on my iPad - but I've recently achieved 'Grand Master' status in each game, so it's not a challenge anymore - I'll have to download some new ones!

Edited to add, gardening! It's Autumn in the UK and the leaves are a challenge. When I was drinking I let them lie, the earthworms would drag them into the ground, but it was unsightly and slippy underfoot.

Now I use leaf blower/ collector, that had been gathering dust in my garage for more than five years! The joys of sobriety....leaf collecting!
Old 10-27-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good ideas here NL -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...44-stress.html
Old 10-27-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
i do an hour of hard cardio (almost) everyday and then go to a meeting (almost) everyday

i also mess around with my rocks and cactus garden

January, that's lovely!
Old 10-27-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love all of these ideas!

I haven't done a good puzzle in a long time and definitely have the tools at home to do most of these things!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I just discovered the Arcade area in the tool bar above... (Yea I'm a bit slow), looks like a good place to distract and escape for a little while.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you ever heard the saying that you never regret a workout? I find even when I am tired I push myself to still work out and take care of myself. I remind myself to what lengths I went to get my DOC and that I was never to tired to go out and get it. I remind myself that I would have walked as far as it took to get it and then I ask myself "So you did ANYTHING to destroy yourself, so why aren't you willing to work as hard to better yourself?"

If that line of thinking doesn't work then there is always movies/t.v, meditation really helps me de-stress, warm baths/nightly bed time routines are very helpful, reading, coloring, calling a friend- the options are endless and I bet you already know the answer to your own question.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AdelineRose View Post
Have you ever heard the saying that you never regret a workout? I find even when I am tired I push myself to still work out and take care of myself. I remind myself to what lengths I went to get my DOC and that I was never to tired to go out and get it. I remind myself that I would have walked as far as it took to get it and then I ask myself "So you did ANYTHING to destroy yourself, so why aren't you willing to work as hard to better yourself?"

If that line of thinking doesn't work then there is always movies/t.v, meditation really helps me de-stress, warm baths/nightly bed time routines are very helpful, reading, coloring, calling a friend- the options are endless and I bet you already know the answer to your own question.
I honestly don't know what I like to do for fun anymore. Drinking became my only real hobby and coping mechanism (besides smoking). I do have a couple interests I never really pursued because my free time was spent drinking, so I will get to those soon when I have gained some motivation since they involve learning a new skill. For now I like the idea of doing simple things to stay distracted like puzzling or coloring.

I'm sure in the moments when all I can think about is how badly I want a drink, it will be nice to have these suggestions to come back to. I love your line: "So you did ANYTHING to destroy yourself, so why aren't you willing to work as hard to better yourself?" I think that's a good way to stay motivated to make healthier choices even when I don't feel like it. But like I said, a week into this I don't want to add too much stress either. I'm sure I will be in a whole different place mentally a month from now.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That line has kept me moving forward and basically not destroying myself on more occasions than I can't count. There was a point I walked through a blizzard through 2 feet of snow for over a mile to get heroin...reminding myself of that really makes me get my ass in gear.

I have found trying new random hobbies can be fun or a disaster depending on what it is I am attempting to try. I find baking is something I truly enjoy
Old 10-27-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The nature of my job is stressful and that will never change, so I understand the need to come home at night and relax. I too would stop by a store every night after work to pick up beer.

My de-stressors:
- Hot baths w/ epsom salts and candles
-Reading (I order lots of novels off Amazon)
-I keep my fridge stocked with LaCroix water. It really helps when you're missing that carbonated feeling from beer.
-Journaling
-Reading blogs
-I would say yoga, but I'm usually too exhausted after work to do it then.
-Watch Netflix or a movie