Notices

Recovered?

Old 10-27-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovered?

Evening guys,

I've not been on here for a while so I've decided to check in to see how everyone is doing,

I am now coming up to 100 days sober which is a record for me, not that I'm recording. I knew when I decided to quit this time that it would be different than all of the other times.

I honestly do not think about drinking and I've moved on from all of my old drinking buddies. They've got the message that I'm now off the scene and do not contact me at all these days.

My thoughts now are looking at when do we move from seeking recovery to actually being recovered?

That's me done for now guys, I hope that you're all keeping well and are on or at least heading to the correct path,

Bruno.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess that might be different for each person and might depend on what you mean by recovered.
I also think that the old hands might have a better idea, but have a horrible feeling they might say never.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 100 days! That is wonderful!

As for "recovered" I am not sure I've ever heard anyone here, or in AA say that they were. There are people in my AA chapters still coming to meetings at 30, 35, 40 years. In fact, they seem to still go many times a week. I think they are still keeping their sober muscles strong. I prefer to think of it like going to the gym. If I go, then my body will constantly feel the results. If I stop, then in short time, my muscles will weaken. Within a small time frame, it will be hard to tell that I ever used to work out at all.
Sobriety has so many analogies attached to it, sorry to add another one.

I have been sober without AA, but honestly, I was like a car running on gas fumes. Nothing really in the tank. Other things might be working for you. The important thing is to be constant and vigilant in recovery. Quite frankly the term 'recovered' is almost meaningless in this venture. As long as we do not drink, we are recovering, and that is miracle enough for me.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Page 85 from the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous

We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.

I believe this to be true
Old 10-27-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My book (AA) tells me that if I follow directions (work the steps) I will recover from a hopeless state of mind and body.

I have found it to be true.

I am still an alcoholic and always will be. But I have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hooray on 100 days! Fantastic. Recovered or recovering, keep it going.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that recovery is a way of life. To me, it's about getting up each day and being the best person I can be and doing the best I can.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

100 days is awesome, good job Bruno!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I loved the idea of being recovered. What that meant for me was I was all fixed. I could just go on with life, sans recovery, and basically become complacent. I knew I couldn't drink, but being that I was recovered I didn't have to be concerned with a program. Well I learned the hard way that recovery is a daily discipline, for lack of a better description. Like yoga, eating right, chores, parenting, sleep. I'm never done.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Bruno gets to make the call on all things Bruno.

I recovered from, ended my addiction to alcohol a little over three years ago.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm recovered, fully:100%. I will never drink again, from the point where I stopped the ambivalence and chose to become a non-drinker of alcohol. I don't need to build or excercise sober-muscles, nor work a program; I lost too much time on a program and I'm getting no younger.

I will never drink, no matter what, when, who, where. I drank for two decades, latterly all day, every day, at least the equivalent of a fifth of vodka/750ml bottle a day, often more. I'd drank enough for more than a few lifetimes, and I only have one.

The Steps didn't work for me (despite trying twice) so there's no one size fits all. I discovered the Secular Connections thread and AVRT. As a consequence I grasped the reins of control, wrestled them from the mis-directed drive for alcohol (brain/survival/physiology etc.,) and steered myself towards and then onto the path of sobriety.

As a consequence of no longer drinking, I'm able to direct my mind, unencumbered, to addressing the myriad problems that alcohol mis-use created.

Plus, I'm able to pursue fantastic goals, that I've always held dear, but never achieved, due to alcohol. I feel reborn, but more accurately, I'm simply re-moulding my life so that it accords with my true-self and beliefs and not those of my inebriated false-self.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
My book (AA) tells me that if I follow directions (work the steps) I will recover from a hopeless state of mind and body.

I have found it to be true.

I am still an alcoholic and always will be. But I have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body.
This sums it up for me, also. I'll never use the word recovered. I might stop using the word recovering when referring to myself someday, but I'll still never consider myself recovered. I'll always be an alcoholic. Doesn't really matter what words I use. As long as I don't drink, and keep working toward a better life, I won't go back to the abject hopelessness I felt for so long.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I recovered from my alcohol addiction the day I made the decision that I will never drink again and that I will never change my mind. Life is so much better with all that nonsense behind me.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maybe look into why you're wondering if you're recovered. What I notice, in myself, is when I start wondering about this I'm really asking myself: How am I handling life? Where am I going? Who am I becoming? Do I have what it takes to weather the ups and downs? Am I making good choices? Am I progressing? Am I doing all I can or am I running from things, hiding, or procrastinating?

If you're wondering if you can handle drinking alcohol again, then I'd say you're going down the wrong path ... straight back to active addiction.

But if you're wondering if you can trust your judgment, your gut instincts, your reasoning abilities, your follow-thru, and taking on responsibility ...
Old 10-27-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I will always be an alcoholic in the sense that if I ever picked up a drink again I would go right back to binge drinking. I know that because I've tried it multiple times, even after long periods of abstinence.

I don't believe I can ever "Cure" my alcoholism. I do believe that I have reached a point though that I can manage it and drastically reduce my chance of ever drinking again to almost zero though.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have recovered from the hopeless state of mind and body that made me drink.
but definatley not cured.

and 1 drink away from my next drunk, which would start way before that with my thinking- premeditation.

hope youre not thinking you can drink "normally" or "socially"
Old 10-27-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Bruno

As you can see, there are differing opinions. I'm with Anna - I'm happy to remain 'in recovery' with no past tense

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-27-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
...Page 85 from the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous
We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.
I believe this to be true...
My book too. HOWEVER, before we got to page 85; before we even get to to any of the numbered pages, on the Title page, it says............:

"The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have RECOVERED from ALCOHOLISM"

I'm going with that; I have RECOVERED from alcoholism

(o:
Old 10-27-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I ended my addiction to alcohol almost 10 years ago. I am not addicted because I do not drink. If I were to drink, I would become readdicted. I don't adhere to most of the tenets of the recovery group movement, so I don't grapple with questions like this. I'm a non-drinker, so it's moot for me.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 100 is fantastic Bruno!! Keep it going!!