Notices

Hello, my name is Jim

Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would like to thank you all for your comments. I honestly didn't expect so much support.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am currently still drinking, I keep saying tomorrow I'll stop.. Surprise! Tomorrow quickly turns into yesterday, and so on.... I need a Solid Plan. I can't afford a rehab facility and I can't relate with the AA approach. ANY Advice on Starting to Stop is much needed.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Hi Jim,
I drank every night too....for fourteen years. SR is where I learned to live sober. It wasn't easy but it has been totally worth it. I know you can do it but it will take a good plan. We are here to help my friend
Thanks Matt,
I really do need to get sober, and have no"Plan". ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Stupid Question

Does SR have an APP? I don't have a computer, I use my phone. So this format is driving me crazy!
Old 10-27-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes there is an app you can download in your phone's App Store - just search "sober recovery" and it should come up
Old 10-27-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimSock View Post
I am currently still drinking, I keep saying tomorrow I'll stop.. Surprise! Tomorrow quickly turns into yesterday, and so on.... I need a Solid Plan. I can't afford a rehab facility and I can't relate with the AA approach. ANY Advice on Starting to Stop is much needed.
Check into Rational Recovery and AVRT. There's a free crash course online.

You might also consider SMART, Lifering, and Women For Sobriety.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Yes there is an app you can download in your phone's App Store - just search "sober recovery" and it should come up
Thank you !
Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

This place can really help. Read and post on here a lot.

For me I also needed additional face to face support. I ended up using AA for that.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Jim,(love the name,I missed it the first time haha) I agree with Soberpotomus on RR AVRT,do a Google search for it,might help you get a better frame of mind to stop, I just did a refresher right now and I feel motivated
Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winslow View Post
hi jim,(love the name,i missed it the first time haha) i agree with soberpotomus on rr avrt,do a google search for it,might help you get a better frame of mind to stop, i just did a refresher right now and i feel motivated
avrt = ?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just Google AVRT,it's a crash course on changing how we think about alcohol, I think it's about 22 flashcards to read through, its actually pretty cool
Old 10-28-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi

I'm new to this..
It's took me a long time to admit this but iam alcohol dependant..I stress and worry about everything and find and excuse to reach for that bottle of wine.
I'm scared I'm going to be on my own.
My dad is my rock but my fiancé can't handle me anymore.
I feel very isolated and alone.
Just want to feel more like me again.
X
Old 10-29-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
Just Google AVRT,it's a crash course on changing how we think about alcohol, I think it's about 22 flashcards to read through, its actually pretty cool
I just finished reading the 28 Flash cards of AVRT. Very helpful! Thanks for the advice, I feeling Very Hopeful right now!!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cryforhelp View Post
I'm new to this..
It's took me a long time to admit this but iam alcohol dependant..I stress and worry about everything and find and excuse to reach for that bottle of wine.
I'm scared I'm going to be on my own.
My dad is my rock but my fiancé can't handle me anymore.
I feel very isolated and alone.
Just want to feel more like me again.
X
Welcome, I am also new. I am currently still drinking, but, I am looking for a plan to help me STOP. There are many different concepts of recovery. SR is a great place to discuss what has worked for others. I just checked out the AVRT concept, it seems very promising. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Best of luck to you. You can do it!!
Old 10-29-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
FYI - the app is no longer being supported - the owners recommend the mobile site - so make sure your phone will work with the app before you buy.

D
Old 11-06-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm having a Really Difficult day. I'm currently separated from my wife. And last night I found out that she is seeing someone else. My head is So ****** up right now!
Old 11-06-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sorry things are difficult right now Jim. I know that you probably feel like your ex is all you can think about, but please could you tear your thoughts off of that for a little bit. Maybe look through those flashcards again. And remember - drinking won't change a thing. It'll just make things worse.

Is there a meeting locally that you could get to today? Sitting with yourself could be a dangerous choice.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Welcome Jim!

You will find lots of support on SR. Two threads that are very helpful are the 24 hour check in, which is a good place to commit to sobriety each day, and get to know many other members. You should also join the November class. Just post in the class of November 2016, you will find other who have decided to commit or recommit to sobriety this month.

❤️ Delilah
Old 11-06-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sad to say....

I didn't make it today... I'm drinking... again. Very Stressful day. Difficult when you have nobody to talk to. That being said, the fridge is almost empty, and I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

That must be hard Jim - I'm sorry.

I'm sorry to read you're drinking too.

Drinking effectively means no change.

It's our poor attempt at trying to tolerate the status quo.

You don't want to tolerate the status quo - you want something better

I really think the best thing you can do is keep working on yourself and stay sober tho.

We can't control what others do - but we can control what we do - and getting sober is so very much in your best interests.

D.