Notices

Okay, so.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
Thanks august, thanks for responding and for your guidance. I need to definitely change my thinking.

The people in AA are amazing. Very sweet and spiritual.

Maybe I will attend another meeting with a more open mind.

I'm scared to work the steps. And I'm scared to get a sponsor. Maybe deep down that's what's holding me back
many people walking into AA are full of many of the faces of fear.
courage is a great thing. it helped me face my fears.

have you read the big book to learn what the program truly is and all of the promises that happen as a result of working the steps?
Old 10-25-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a great recent thread on plans Jade - worth a read
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...king-plan.html
D
Old 10-26-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks august, thanks for responding and for your guidance. I need to definitely change my thinking.

The people in AA are amazing. Very sweet and spiritual.

Maybe I will attend another meeting with a more open mind.

I'm scared to work the steps. And I'm scared to get a sponsor. Maybe deep down that's what's holding me back
Yes. Getting a sponsor and working the steps IS scary. Now I've done it though, I can honestly say that it wasn't as scary as living with that stuff in my head all the time and forever. It was exhausting (for me anyway) to live like that.

Acceptance really does bring with it so much relief. Up til the time we find acceptance we are trying to stay sober through our own willpower. Thing is, that's the same willpower that gets us drinking. So it's like being locked in an everlasting mental and emotional wrestle with ourselves. Again. Exhausting.

It would be lovely if denial of being an alcoholic could, one day, make us wake up not alcoholic. Thing is, that doesn't happen, any more than for a diabetic wishing won't make them normal and healthy and able to eat sweets like someone without diabetes. But, like the diabetic, as long as we take responsibility for our condition, we CAN lead normal, healthy, happy lives in every other way.

Whichever route you decide to take, I hope you find acceptance, serenity, inner peace and joy. Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 10-26-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I finally got sobriety, my plan included AA.

But AA was only one piece of it.

My plan didn't come all at once.

But it happened and unfolded every day.

My plan was never written down in one place as a clear project or list. There were no start or end dates.

My plan became a living, evolving approach to how I would grow as a person and how I would live my life fully. Here are some things my plan includes.....

AA and the Big Book. Especially in the early days. It gave me connection in the form of real humans sharing my goals and struggles to whom I could relate. It gave me education and insight and a sense of community. It offered experience, strength and hope.

Sober recovery forum. Same as above but always available 24x7.

Counseling- I've found that there are many things that have nothing to do with drinking that were important to confront and process in order to live sober.

Embracing sobriety! Seeking sober role models. Being around sober people. Engaging in sober activities. Really building a picture of sobriety as a life I wanted.... not a punishment I had to suffer through.

Engaging in my community. Volunteering. Creating something to give back. Getting outside myself.

Exercise. Running and martial arts have been great outlets and supports. Having a race to train for or goals to work toward.

Gratitude. Practicing being thankful. Gratitude lists are helpful and uplifting and help to change habits.

Meditation.

Talking about sobriety. Sharing the goodness it brings. Celebrating it. Eventually going to volunteer in helping bring the message to newcomers. Being there for others who still struggle.

Changing my habits. Staying away from bars and parties for the most part. Spending less time with people who make alcohol and drugs a central part of their lives. Making new friends who are sober or who very seldom drink.

Trying new hobbies and pursuits. Staying active and busy doing things that don't involve drinking.

Journaling.

Saying 'please help me' in the morning and 'thank you' at night. Being conscious of a higher power even when I don't particularly believe in 'God'. Being willing to let a higher power be present in my life and being willing to be helped, being grateful for that help.

Trying to do the next right thing.

Tending to my bills and responsibilities. Getting out of debt a little bit at a time.

Setting and working toward goals.

Re-Engaging with creativity.

Learning to play the ukulele and guitar.

Looking for things that need to be done and helping out.

And many more......

The point of my plan is not to not drink. The central locus of my plan is to LIVE an abundant and grateful life of goodness. When I stopped focusing on 'not drinking' and began focusing on living and growing to the fullest I can.... it all changed.

It took time and patience and some days were a struggle. But nearly three years on, the plan continues to work and I'm grateful for this life and I love it.

And you can, too.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi guys

I joined this today and am 17 days sober after years and years of heavy drinking. It's hard. I just wanted to thank you Jade for your post and all of you for your excellent responses. It's helpful in some way for me to hear that it's hard, that's it's supposed to be a challenge and that I'm no different to anyone else in this situation. I have my reservations about AA, we'll not reservations as such, I can see it works, the people there are amazing and I want what they have for sure, but it's a difficult thing to accept that this is what will 'save me' or that this is my life from now on. I'm trying. Anyway. Speak soon
Old 10-26-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sorry Dee! I didn't realize that someone else had posted about this same topic although it gave me some good additional insight.

Thanks for all the responses.

Update: I still have a long way to go but i did attend an AA meeting today. It was a little disheartening to see myself back after months of trying to do it on my own. I didn't enjoy the meeting (I still get a little depressed afterwards) but I got a lot of good advice. I also called my AA friend and potential sponsor. She gave me some homework and reading to do.

I have the number of a therapist that specializes in addiction. I thought individual counseling might be beneficial to my recovery.

I realize I need more sober friends because right now I don't have very many and I have pushed my "normal" friends away. I would really like to find fun things and hobbies to do (hiking or boating or painting).

I feel sad today. My step mom took away my car because she knew I relapsed. I get it back once I find treatment. I am angry and resentful even though I know she's right.

Here's to sobriety, and not taking that first drink. Ever.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't want to be an alcoholic. I don't want to drink either. What I want is to be a healthy happy sober person. How do I achieve that?
I can give you my 'plan'. I read a few specific books that truly inspired me spiritually and emotionally. I knew instinctively I needed balance in my life and that meant making some time for 'me' each day. I determined the worst time for me was early evening, so I went out walking, usually about an hour and the benefits were amazing. I decided to begin volunteer work in week 1 because I thought I had something to give. I began volunteering at a women's shelter and soon realized that the women were giving far more to me, than I was to them. It saved me.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just thought you'd like to read the other thread as well Jade

D