Notices

Recovery of the liver

Old 10-23-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery of the liver

Hello,
I have quit drinking 38 days ago. I am feeling good about this and not craving for a drink or anything. Some anxiety for periods of time..
I got my liver checked a month ago and a retest yesterday.
Looks like my liver haven`t recoverd itself at all. I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences on the subject. How long does it take for the liver to recover or show some signs of recovery ?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If like me it took years to get to the point of quitting alcohol and digging myself into a hole, it's going to take a bit longer than a little over a month for the body to bounce back and dig itself out.

The body is a great piece of kit, it can repair and bounce, but it takes time and it's not invincible.

I'd ask your Dr for a medical opinion, what did they say?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

What does your dr say? Is he concerned? If not, try not to worry about it.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blackened I have no experience to share and this is a common sense viewpoint not a medical one...but the punishment I inflicted on my liver I would expect that 7-8 weeks would not do much either way...?

Give it time
If you haven't asked your Dr about this, I would - set your mind at ease

D
Old 10-23-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My liver enzymes were raised to about 240 something, after 3 months sobriety it (and my spleen) returned back to normal
Old 10-23-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're certainly proceeding in healing, by leaving harming farther behind every day. . .
Old 10-23-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

This is a subject that I am also interested in. And the reason I've finally stopped. During my last sober stint (2008) it took a month to get normal readings. Of course, I was much younger back then. It seems the real answer is - it depends on how much damage you have. I suspect I also have an enlarged spleen. I plan on seeing a doctor once I've been sober for awhile. (I had a bad experience with the medical system last time I was honest about my condition).
Old 10-23-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had high liver enzymes, tested a week after I stopped drinking. My doctor suggested the next test should occur after 3 months - they came back normal.

What does your doctor say, blackened?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just quit drinking 7 days ago and have drank heavy for the last 5 years and my enzymes came back completely normal...I notice the last month of drinking I was bruising very easily which scared me enough to quit.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
If like me it took years to get to the point of quitting alcohol and digging myself into a hole, it's going to take a bit longer than a little over a month for the body to bounce back and dig itself out.

The body is a great piece of kit, it can repair and bounce, but it takes time and it's not invincible.

I'd ask your Dr for a medical opinion, what did they say?
i just talked to my dr. He says it will start showing signs of recovery between 2 to 4 months. Didnt say anything about full recovery since it is differs between people
Old 10-24-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Blackened I have no experience to share and this is a common sense viewpoint not a medical one...but the punishment I inflicted on my liver I would expect that 7-8 weeks would not do much either way...?

Give it time
If you haven't asked your Dr about this, I would - set your mind at ease

D
Thanks dee. I am not concerned about this , i know it will get better in time. However i was expecting better blood readings I will have my liver checked at 90 days mark and share the results with you to give people here some opinion.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The day I stopped drinking, my liver enzymes were dangerously high. I didn't have it tested again until a few years later, but my doctor couldn't believe that I was the same person! The key is to stop and stay stopped.