Notices

Don't Know What To Do

Old 10-06-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't Know What To Do

Hello,
This is my first post on this site. I think I have a problem with alcohol, but I'm not sure on how to define this problem or what to do about it. I don't drink everyday, not even every week. Nine times out of ten, when I go out drinking with friends, I can just go out, have a few drinks and a great time. But then there's those other times. That's when I go completely overboard, don't know when to stop, and end up blacking out and doing something completely horrible, things that I would never dream of doing sober. It's like I turn into a different person. This weekend, for instance, I went to an Octoberfest, and got so wasted that I kissed someone that was not my boyfriend, and barely remember doing it. I told my boyfriend the truth, and he has broken up with me. He says he can't trust me b/c he knows how I am when I drink too much. I want to stop drinking completely to make sure that something like this never happens again, but at the same time, I don't know if I can give up having a glass of wine when I go out to a nice dinner, having a glass of champagne for a toast at a friend's wedding. If anyone has been in the same boat, or has some advice to offer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello Kean--Welcome to SR. My name is Laura and I am an alcoholic. I can't really give you any advice because only you know how bad the problem is and how much you want to do something about it. However, it sounds like alcohol is causing some major problems in your life (i.e., losing your boyfriend). I know, for me, giving up the occasional glass of wine or champagne was nothing compared to the heartache and misery continuing to drink would have cost me. Keep posting. Others will be along soon.

Hugs--
Old 10-06-2004, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Kean...

Sounds like you have the basis for a progressive problem...

Addictive logic minimizes the insane outcome of our using... all the while striking fear in our hearts around giving up the substance.

But.. you've opened the door to Step One.
Admited powerlessness over alcohol and that life has become unmanageable.

The rest of it is up to you cause it's your life... and you gotta want it to be better.

Stick around here... keep reading and posting... and your truth will be revealed to you... I almost guarantee it.. ;o)

Glad you joined us at Sober Recovery.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Hey there...I have to agree with LauraLuLu kissing another guy actually pales in comparison with the lengths I went to you feed my addictive thinking. And I know in my heart of hearts that it only gets worse, if that's even possible. Well, yes...I suppose I could be homeless and penniless now if I hadn't made the decision to take a good hard look at myself and where my life was heading. Only you know how you feel about your drinking and only you can determine if it's serving your best interest or leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth, so to speak.
Stick around, read some posts and get to know us. This place has been a tremendous help to me, that's for sure.

Danielle
Old 10-06-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Hello ,I recognize a lot in this..I did'nt drink either everyday
but If I starded to drink I just could'nt stop and mostly I blacked out(a lot of times 't was a combination of booz and pot)The first time I blacked out I was 16 years old I starded to fight a busdriver and I ended up in mental hospital..All those years I frequently blacked out and ended up in jail..Because I always starded to fight or starded kickin out windows or trashing cars..Irealy got hystericly sometimes you might even say demonic ..I think if I read your story that you do aare an alcoholic..If you black out or even can't stop drinking you have a problem...But I'm glad you found this site..Keep posting and you will got a lot of suport from people who have the same problem like you..I hope I read something of you again..I recognized I had a problem when I was 26 and went to AA but I could'nt stay sober for a few months..I did'nt had something to loose then exept my life..But now five years later I have a so much different life...So now I'm sober for 11 days Love from Stefanie
Old 10-06-2004, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Salut,
Hang about and read other posts there are good people here just witing to make friends. Lot's of good ideas and friendship

indigo
Old 10-06-2004, 04:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kean,

Welcome and you'll find lots of support and inspiration here.

I think we've all been in the same boat and that none of us wanted to give up a glass of wine at dinner, but, we did. I resisted giving up alcohol for a long time but it's the only way. I think it's far harder to try to have a drink or two sometimes and always be worrying and obsessing about when and where and will this be the time I go too far! I hope you hang around SR and get to know us.

Anna