Notices

Exercise to Reduce Anxiety

Old 10-24-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm a huge fan of trail running. Outdoor in nature and burning calories. I also recommend organized races or fun runs if you want to feel human bonding.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mr

like running and trail running too.
Squash, once played it everyday... its 40 mins of anxiety evaporating !

I found cutting back / cutting out coffee is important for me. In work i only have decaf capsules now. Noticed i do a lot less underarm sweating...
Old 10-24-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I very much appreciate all the great ideas. Regarding coffee, I cut that out, for the most part, back in March or April. I now have maybe one or two small cups a month, and rarely have any other caffeinated beverage. When I do, it's typically a cup of green tea. I feel calmer overall, without caffeine.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me it is walking. I used to be an avid runner, but to many injuries have flared up after I have tried to start again. I also do the elliptical and weights at the gym, and yes even yoga.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stationary exercise bike works for me

D
Old 10-24-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It try to get at least 10,000 steps on fitbit and also do squats and other lifting which I need to step up,I truly believe in exercise in sobriety, it's one of my top ten in my plan
Old 10-24-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I walk. A LOT.
Every day I do a 2-3 mile walk (unless it rains) and on the weekends I do one long walk (8-12 miles) or a few shorter walks. This weekend I walked 16 miles over a few days. I've always been a distance person (was a distance swimmer in HS and college) so I really start to feel GOOD like REALLY GOOD after about 30 minutes of exercise...and then I want to keep going going going.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Running, I took it up during my last sober stint many a year ago, fell in love with it and thank goodness, never gave it up. I'm having a hard time getting to those distances I use to do but hoping to get back on track in the near future.

Start with a run - walk - run - walk and before you know it you'll be doing miles (or kilometers) non stop.

"I don't run to add years to my life, I run to add life to my years".
Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't know if my knees would hold up well with running, but I like the idea of swimming. I used to swim competitively (not at a high level, but still). It would feel good to hit the water again. I think I'll check the rates on a membership to my local YMCA.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My therapist always tells me it's 20-30 minutes of anything that will get your heart rate up that will help improve your mood. I can't stand running so I do biking and skating and climbing. Walking should work fine as long as you have an elevated heart rate (think heavy breathing) for around 20 minutes.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am not into yoga at all either. I have never liked running...find it very isolating and boring. Just my 2 cents but I know both of these can work wonders for some.

You said you swam before? Good you're looking into that again. Have you ever tried an organized fitness class, whether it be weight lifting, or a spin class or just choreographed cardio?

I teach fitness classes to seniors aged 55 years and up (getting scarily close to that age now) and just being around them brings me a sense of calmness. You'd be surprised how relatable some of them can be and what they have lived through. I'm not telling you to attend a senior's fitness class but just keep your options open. I've been in the fitness industry off and on for 30 years now (I should be fit, but I'm not). However it's really wonderful to be surrounded by a group of people that you may find you have things in common with. I am currently trying not to keep myself so isolated. Best of luck! I forgot to mention that endorphins (created during exercise) help the brain and nervous system...which all of us desperately need after putting all of this poison into our bodies.

Last edited by Shellshocked444; 10-25-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something. Again
Old 10-25-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Oooo, endorphins yes, the 'runners high' - that's part of why I do it. And I ain't joining no RunnersRecovery either.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Shellshocked, no I've never looked into an organized class. Never even crossed my mind, to be honest. Thanks for the idea!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Organized fitness classes can be the best. Not trying to promote it because I teach it but it's a way to really feel connected. Please let us know how you're doing. I am still finding my way.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

From Manitoba? I am originally from Winnipeg. :-)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

This was a reply for STDragon. Whoops.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm on hold with exercise. I had been walking, which was a good start. I either sprained my toe pretty good, or have a hairline fracture. If it doesn't start to feel better in a couple days, I'll be going in for an X-ray. But, happily sober and otherwise feeling decent!
Old 10-27-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Yea, I'm a Winnipeg boy. Not born here but raised and living here.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I used to be a member of a gym that had great classes. There is no gym like it where I've moved to and I miss it. The music gave a good buzz, and having to mentally and physically keep up with what the instructor gave us to do gave no option other than being in the moment. It was a great for forcing me to set aside echoes from the past and looming shadows for the future.

My favourite was Body Combat. Lots of kicking and punching moves mixed in with core muscle exercises. Awww. I wish someone would start that class somewhere near here.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Tennis.

I play competitive tennis probably 4 times a week. It's great exercise and I've meet a lot of good people. All of the other exercises I tried were too boring or just not any fun. I've been playing about 6 years now.