Notices

What we all drinking tonight? ...

Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ice, 1/3 water, 1/3 tonic water, 1/3 grapefruit juice.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Weirdly, I like hot water☺️
Old 10-21-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Tv

Hello everyone. I am sure that many of you do not me know because I have not posted for so long. Not for 2 -3 years for sure. I wish I could I could be a sobriety new comer but I cannot. I have a ton of 5 days in the past two years. Beyond depressing.

One question, and I apologize if it has been bantered before but how many of you more are more than 30 days sober.É Do you watch TV, Netflix etcs. Because the amount of alcohol consumed on fake TV, really is a trigger for me.

Please help!

Andy massive congratulations to those that have it beyond day 5. That is apparently my DEVIL day.

SS
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Half cranberry juice , half sprite over ice
Old 10-21-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Shellsocked and welcome back! I stopped drinking in May this year and being here on SR has helped me tremendously. Couldn't have done it without the lovely supporting people on SR.
I do watch a bit of TV and always make sure that I have a non-alcoholic drink next to me, usually sparkling water. It helped me in the beginning to have something to hold on to instead of alcohol.
The Class of October might be a good place for you to find what this month' newcomers are doing.
Try this link to find it http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-4.html.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I also keep my fridge stocked with LaCroix. I drink 2-3 every night.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Water and ice. I got a water infused basket and put cut up strawberries, cinnamon stick, chopped turmeric, lemon rind, whatever......... and leave in frig. When I go out I order Moscow Mule, without the vodka. It's ginger beer (NO) and lime
Old 10-21-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
Water and ice. I got a water infused basket and put cut up strawberries, cinnamon stick, chopped turmeric, lemon rind, whatever......... and leave in frig. When I go out I order Moscow Mule, without the vodka. It's ginger beer (NO) and lime
This sounds amazing!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I am sure that many of you do not know me because I have not posted for so long. Not for 2 -3 years for sure. I wish I could be a sobriety new comer but I cannot. I have a ton of 5 days in the past two years. Beyond depressing.

One question, and I apologize if it has been bantered about before but how many of you more are than 30 days sober. Do you watch TV, Netflix etc. Because the amount of alcohol consumed on fake TV, really is a trigger for me.

Please help!

Andy massive congratulations to those that have it beyond day 5. That is apparently my DEVIL day.

Cheers!

Last edited by Shellshocked444; 10-21-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: delete
Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I am sure that many of you do not know me because I have not posted for so long. Not for 2 -3 years for sure. I wish I could be a sobriety new comer but I cannot. I have a ton of 5 days in the past two years. Beyond depressing.

One question, and I apologize if it has been bantered about before but how many of you more are than 30 days sober. Do you watch TV, Netflix etc. Because the amount of alcohol consumed on fake TV, really is a trigger for me.

Please help!

Cheers
Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love green tea, and also diet sofa. There is a new Sprite Zero with cranberry that is really good. Congrats on five days!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellshocked444 View Post

Please help!

Cheers
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2016-a.html This is the weekenders thread to add to the October class thread. They are great groups for daily and weekend support! welcome, welcome back, and you can do this!
Old 10-22-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Eventually I accepted that I wasn't going to find 'excitement' in any beverage. And nor was it realistic to always expect to find 'excitement' anywhere on a regular and routine basis. And as far as TV goes, I think that much of the rubbish on TV sells us that false expectation as much as showing regular images of people drinking. False expectation feeds our tendency for being restless, irritable and discontent. Our recovery needs to be about finding ways to deal with those feelings in a healthy and healing way. Howling for the moon doesn't help any of us have a comfortable or sustainable sobriety.

In order for me to recover, I needed to seek and find a sane, healthy, adult perspective. One that didn't expect that I should be rewarded at the end of a boring week of work with some 'excitement'. My excitement-chasing had, over decades made me quite miserable, and my life unmanageable on many levels. It also meant that I was unable to recognise and enjoy simple pleasures and experiences.

Anyway. That was just me. But basically, if you stop a pattern in that something is 'triggering' then I'd suggest that you just stop doing that thing (if it's something that us possible to just stop).
I'd also suggest keeping a really high alert out for the common HALT (Hungry-Anger-Lonely-Tired) triggers. If you have no other plan in place, at least plan how you are going to avoid (where possible) those triggering things, and what emergency action you can take should one of these creep up on you.

Hope you stick around. Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 10-22-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Aloe Vera juice. Delicious and low on sugar.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Herbal teas were my nighttime treat. My favourite was Teapigs . So many flavours and very tasty. A little pricey but a fraction still of what I was spending on booze.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The cool thing for me is that I can now taste things, I think I had forgotten to do so, so much cheap wine dulled things. My infused waters are simple, not exciting, just interesting tastes . I had been reading about the advantages of Tumeric but found the powder kind of yucky tasting. I them found fresh little turmeric roots that I steamed until soft, chopped and added them to my infuser basket with the regular and turmeric water. With other flavor like strawberries and honey its lot more interesting. Turmeric and black pepper together allow the nutrients to absorb. My liver was sick, these things are helping my liver revive........
Old 10-22-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Last evening I had a Naked Green Machine. I love the Chia (hydrated seeds) drinks and they come in all sorts of refreshing natural flavors; high fiber and some protein. I am big on getting enough protein. I like Odwalla protein drinks. I love all sorts of teas; Bedtime tea at night. Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea is really tasty. Ginger ale. Diet Coke. Today I am having a Synergy Kombucha/Chia combination drink in raspberry leomnade.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
The cool thing for me is that I can now taste things, I think I had forgotten to do so, so much cheap wine dulled things. My infused waters are simple, not exciting, just interesting tastes . I had been reading about the advantages of Tumeric but found the powder kind of yucky tasting. I them found fresh little turmeric roots that I steamed until soft, chopped and added them to my infuser basket with the regular and turmeric water. With other flavor like strawberries and honey its lot more interesting. Turmeric and black pepper together allow the nutrients to absorb. My liver was sick, these things are helping my liver revive........
I've heard a lot of good things about Tumeric. There is a guy that swears by Tumeric and Lemon Zest combo.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linz805 View Post
I like blood orange pelligrino with a fresh orange squeezed in! I always keep my fridge stocked with La Croix's also!
Palligrino Lemonada is definitely my go to if I want something a bit sugary...that or Arizona Iced Tea.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I drink a ton of iced tea - lots of lemon, no sugar. I've never been a Soda drinker. I also drink sparkling water that I make with my soda stream. I'll flavor that sometimes with home made ginger syrup, or just citrus juices - orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit. For a treat I'll sometimes pick up this fancy cucumber soda I found recently. It's just slightly sweet.