Notices

Day One Again!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One Again!

It's funny how you have to prepare yourself mentally to decide to quit. I usually quit when I get physically ill from drinking.
Today I don't feel sick. I actually want to get my life in order more than I want to drink.
I do have a plan.
My husband is considering slacking up on his consumption. I would be thrilled if he would just start with only drinking on the weekends. Right now he drinks daily. He uses the excuse that if I quit he will. lol Typical alcoholic, right?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Marissa41! You sound ready!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stand up, shake dust off, keep on going
You sound really positive today. You can do this! Stick around and don't give up. You won't regret it
Old 10-20-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
It's funny how you have to prepare yourself mentally to decide to quit. I usually quit when I get physically ill from drinking.
Today I don't feel sick. I actually want to get my life in order more than I want to drink.
I do have a plan.
My husband is considering slacking up on his consumption. I would be thrilled if he would just start with only drinking on the weekends. Right now he drinks daily. He uses the excuse that if I quit he will. lol Typical alcoholic, right?
I usually decided to quit as well when I got physically ill or when I would do/say something that I feel absolutely horrible about. I have tried and failed many many times the last 4 years of so. Just got to keep trying the best way I can.

My husband tends to drinks daily as well. I wish he wouldn't have it in the house but I can't control what he does. He at least locks up the bottles of alcohol so if I would get something it would be whatever he has the refrigerator (except when I decide screw it and go get my vodka).

You can do this!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

try aa again

i went to meetings and drank for a while

i went to many meetings and found a few i was comfortable at

Old 10-20-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Marissa41 View Post
I do have a plan.
Glad you are back and have a plan Marissa. Why not share your plan and get some feedback from the folks here? Hope that SR can be part of it.

Regarding your husband, that is definitely alcoholic behavior. Try and focus on your own addiction though, you won't be able to change his actions - he needs to do it himself.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good call Marisa. Do this one for you, it will be amazing and it will surely help your husband find his way.

P
Old 10-20-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

you can do this Marissa
Have you considered joining the Class of October thread?
D
Old 10-20-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your sobriety is not dependent on your husband's. Quit for yourself. Maybe you'll influence him with your behavior. I got sober almost 7 yrs ago and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Marissa. I am happily on Day 11, and my husband drinks as well daily, and he drinks a lot. But I try to not focus on him but my own sobriety. I told him that I did not want wine in the house, however, since that can be a trigger for me. Guess what? He was drinking last night and put wine on the shopping list! So, I sent him a nice text today asserting that boundary, as well as my rule that he does not cook with any alcohol. I'm pretty sure he will respect these two rules I have to protect my sobriety. If he doesn't, I will most likely be in search for a new husband.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love the positive attitude
Old 10-20-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
Hi Marissa. I am happily on Day 11, and my husband drinks as well daily, and he drinks a lot. But I try to not focus on him but my own sobriety. I told him that I did not want wine in the house, however, since that can be a trigger for me. Guess what? He was drinking last night and put wine on the shopping list! So, I sent him a nice text today asserting that boundary, as well as my rule that he does not cook with any alcohol. I'm pretty sure he will respect these two rules I have to protect my sobriety. If he doesn't, I will most likely be in search for a new husband.
Just an update from my previous post. My husband received my text and told me he did not put wine on the shopping list, so I guess I will have to show him tonight the grocery list and the wine on there (I think he doesn't remember putting it on there because he drank too much). Plus, he told me that he can definitely respect the no cooking with alcohol rule, so all is good!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've had my cravings today! Came this " close. But just stayed busy and lightly took my anxiety meds.
Husband bought beer but did not bring it into the house, but I'm done with beer and would probably buy wine. But I won't! I know how good it feels when you finally make it out of the fog. I've done it before. Since the holidays are coming up I need to be coherent.
Will be trying AA again and reading The Book.
It's amazing how fast everything can go downhill when you can't function!
Thanks for all your support!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, and my life was quickly deteriorating when I was drinking over 11 days ago for the past 3 months. I think I caught it just in time before Hurricane Katrina was going to strike in my life. I went out to dinner with my family for my mom's birthday dinner tonight, and I think they were all shocked at how "normal" I was. I was hiding my drinking from them in the last 3 months so they did not know, but I completely shut them all out and they just accepted that. I was a totally different person tonight - happy and involved, and it is all because I got my Day 1 and then added 10 days to it.

In addition to reading the Big Book, I would also suggest Daily Reflections and Living Sober. And don't just read the one reflection for the day, but then go the beginning and just read. That is what saved me, along with reading Living Sober.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
Yes, and my life was quickly deteriorating when I was drinking over 11 days ago for the past 3 months. I think I caught it just in time before Hurricane Katrina was going to strike in my life. I went out to dinner with my family for my mom's birthday dinner tonight, and I think they were all shocked at how "normal" I was. I was hiding my drinking from them in the last 3 months so they did not know, but I completely shut them all out and they just accepted that. I was a totally different person tonight - happy and involved, and it is all because I got my Day 1 and then added 10 days to it.

In addition to reading the Big Book, I would also suggest Daily Reflections and Living Sober. And don't just read the one reflection for the day, but then go the beginning and just read. That is what saved me, along with reading Living Sober.
Well done. Where would I be able to get the other two books from? X
Old 10-21-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day one successfully completed! Now for day Two.. Going grocery shopping this morning and skipping the wine section & heading straight to the juice!