Notices

Very moving artwork

Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very moving artwork

I have to admit, I am not a huge Salvador Dalí fan. I am not a modern art fan in general. However, as a nice, sober activity my boyfriend and I went to see an exhibition of his works in Pisa last weekend. (we then went to eat Indian food ) There is a really nice museum that host small exhibitions (you can get through in about an hour) and we went to see this one, which was DalÍ's works related to Italy. He did a series of prints based on Dante's Divine Comedy. I very much enjoy art, but not in a way that I stay in front of one work for a half an hour. I look and move on. Yet this particular print caught me and I swear I must have stayed a good 5-7 minutes looking at it.
It was the first a series of more than 100 of his prints for the Divine Comedy.
This one is called "The Departure for the Great Journey" and is the first in the set representing the inferno "Hell" But it made me think of my own journey. Where I am going, the shadow I leave behind, etc. I was really taken by this particular piece and though some of you might enjoy it too.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-17-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

I like the idea/image of having crossed a boundary /line and moving into a lusher environment, and how continuing into the greener pastures will bring even your recent past /shadow over the line . That we can move fully into the 'new' landscape and move forward, away from the old line .
Could have been titled ;"No return" with a positive connotation.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for a great and thoughtful post Mera

D
Old 10-17-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I came back here last month, for the first time in over two years, I was coming off a bender and miserable. Sick and scared to death. Dee said to me, "Draw that line in the sand and don't look back MeSo."

I see myself and that line in that painting.

Thanks, Meraviglioso and Dee!
Old 10-17-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

One of his starker, more direct images.

Thanks for the reminder
Old 10-17-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I have to admit, I am not a huge Salvador Dalí fan. I am not a modern art fan in general. However, as a nice, sober activity my boyfriend and I went to see an exhibition of his works in Pisa last weekend. (we then went to eat Indian food ) There is a really nice museum that host small exhibitions (you can get through in about an hour) and we went to see this one, which was DalÍ's works related to Italy. He did a series of prints based on Dante's Divine Comedy. I very much enjoy art, but not in a way that I stay in front of one work for a half an hour. I look and move on. Yet this particular print caught me and I swear I must have stayed a good 5-7 minutes looking at it.
It was the first a series of more than 100 of his prints for the Divine Comedy.
This one is called "The Departure for the Great Journey" and is the first in the set representing the inferno "Hell" But it made me think of my own journey. Where I am going, the shadow I leave behind, etc. I was really taken by this particular piece and though some of you might enjoy it too.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks for sharing this..Yeah I l ik e it too
Old 10-17-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mera, you may also enjoy Gertrude Abercrombie... she was rather stark and symbolic.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Dali uses light to expresses the symbolism of a spiritual journey.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

Hello, Dali!