Notices

Compulsive endless craving / feeling in the chest

Old 10-17-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chances

Compulsive endless craving / feeling in the chest

I haven't drunk for over 18 months or smoked for 12. I gave up the coffee 3 months ago and recently tried to stop sugar.

I'm always craving / wanting something but I'm not sure what. It's a feeling in my chest just like the old cigarette cravings but it's not that. I sure alcohol would temporarily cure it - but we all know that temporary relief would only cost a lifetime of pain.

I lasted 2 weeks off the sugar but gorged myself 2 nights ago. I'm off it again today.

Someone mentioned I might be hypoglycaemic on another site 2 days ago. I researched that and it seemed to make sense so I got a blood glucose meter and tested myself over the day. I have to admit I was quite disappointed to see all the reading were normal.

I don't know if modern medicine accepts some people have compulsive gluttonous addictive personalities / drives but that seems to sum me up. Whether it's alcohol, cigarettes, sugar, caffeine, chocolate/lollies - I'm not only driven to it but will gorge myself on any of it regardless of whether I actually desire it or not. It's just a sick compulsive drive in my brain and a need in my chest.

I actually believe that this compulsive disorder in some ways has driven me on in sobriety at times when my resolve was weak.

It sounds wrong but I'd love to find I have some medically identifiable condition which causes this (hence I wanted those blood glucose reads to be bad). Since I don't have to lose weight and I'm probably the fittest I've been in life I can honestly say my only interest in quitting sugar is the hope that this craving in my chest will go - although I'm 99.9% sure it's nothing to do with sugar.

Whilst it sounds stupid I really think that in the future when my resolve is weakened by complacency or/& time this constant craving in my chest could drive me to do something real stupid like drink &/or smoke.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure I agree that there are addictive personalities, but I certainly believe in obsessive/compulsive disorders.

I'm not diagnosing you - I don't have the expertise or the experience but have you considered seeing someone about this 'compulsive disorder' ChancesAh?

D
Old 10-18-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ChancesAh - I can so relate to what you've described. I feel a constant craving as well, and feel my day is a continual attempt to assuage it with tea, food, decaf coffee and nicotine gum. I eat healthy, have tried giving up sugar as well, and incredibly was also disappointed to find that I was not hypoglecemic. I can't seem to find moderation in anything. It's all or nothing. At 4 months sober, I am hoping this will be under control in the future, and I am trying not to get my mind hijacked by it. For now I am sober and otherwise content, and the other obsessions I can hopefully deal with in due time.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel the same way to some extent. I find myself repeating similar patterns with La Croix, for instance - I drink five or more a day, one right after the other, and I definitely don't like being without them - makes me feel anxious. Freaking carbonated water?! Yup.

In the past aside from daily drinking in the evenings, I would also compulsively exercise even if I were sick, hike for three hours with a girlfriend through wretched hangovers or still drunk from the night before, etc.

When I first got sober I ate sugar like crazy. Still have a problem with it in the evenings.

Ugh. What exactly are we trying to satiate with these behaviors?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee....you might want to check with your doctor. My daughter has OCD (not saying you do) and it can be effectively controlled with medication.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chances

Thanks for the advice people. I suppose a doctor may be sorry a try - I imagine a psychologist or psychiatrist would be worth a try.
@madgirl @earlyriser - whilst i think exercise and a healthy diet helps is really like chasing ghosts as far as getting an answer or cure. Today i ate a healthy lunch and fruit but than bought a family bag of Nuts and ate the lot - it was that or sugar and eating then did give me a couple of hours relief
Old 10-19-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nuts and trail mix. Another of my obsessions!
I am leaving for a long weekend to visit my daughter and family. They are camping near Gettysburg. I am hoping the change in routine might help me break some associations and get me off this treadmill a bit. Hope to keep this thread going to see how you progress as well, ChancesAh.