Notices

Loved One Relapsed

Old 10-16-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loved One Relapsed

So I'm not sure where to turn at this point. My boyfriend and I have only been together for a short amount of time, but I love him to death. He's a recovering addict, I am not. This morning I found out for sure, after weeks of speculation, that he's using again. I guess I'm just looking for some guidance, someone to talk to.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I suggest cutting ties now, before things get too deep. Then get some therapy and heal so you don't repeat this situation.

Loving an addict is like, well, it's hell. It is a progressive and fatal thing, so if you are ready for this roller coaster, put on your seatbelt.....

Seriously, this situation isn't good. Maybe find out what attracted you to him (deep thought and therapy).

I wish you well!
Old 10-16-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Loved One Relapsed

I wanted to follow up with a bit of my background.
My mom was an addict for as long as I can remember, and my sister is also, and because I never understood or could relate to what they were going through, I walked away from them. My mom died 3 years ago from drugs, and my sister told me that through all of the chaos surrounding her, the thing she wanted the most was her sister by her side. And I was so ignorant and stubborn that I couldn't give that to her.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you can stand by your boyfriends side if you want. but your probably going to get dragged down with him.
I highly encourage you to head over to the F&f of substance abusers forums and do some reading of others who have been in your shoes.

the only thing that happened to me standing by a practicing alcoholic/addict was gloom,dispair, and agony.....on me.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sorry for your situation. Is your boyfriend seeking support for himself? I hope that you seek support for yourself. We have two Friends & Families forums on this board, and AlAnon may also be helpful.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Anna,

Thanks for responding. I had my suspicions for a couple weeks, and confronted him, but of course he kept denying it until this morning, there was no lying his way out of it. Now he says he wants help and hates living life on drugs, and he will wean himself off starting tonight and then attend an outpatient program. I've never sought any treatment for my past with my mom and sister because I never thought it was an issue, but now I'm certainly reconsidering.

Last edited by renee81; 10-16-2016 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-16-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by renee81 View Post
I've never sought any treatment for my past with my mom and sister because I never thought it was an issue, but now I'm certainly reconsidering.
please check out the F&F forums of both addicts and alcoholics. theres some great stickies at the tops of the forums and also a LOT of great support there that can help you with different forms of help for you.

I truly hope yer BF gets help,too- for him.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Renee!! You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

renee

i am praying for you both

it would really hurt my wife if i went back to drinking

Old 10-16-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I've been reading up on the F&F forum.