Notices

New to sr

Old 10-14-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to sr

Hey all I am brand new to SR and am looking to quit drinking for good. I've been drinking alcohol since the age of 21 but it didn't become a serious problem until I was 25. I am now 29 and have been drinking daily for 6 months. The last 2 weeks have been bad drinking about 20 beers a day usually within a 6 hour period. I decided I need to quit and have been having really bad withdrawals. Full body shakes extreme anxiety with panic attacks after every 5 minutes so now I am at the bar drinking the withdrawal away. I am looking for support and hoping I can gain some insight on the best way to quit.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Smckay87. This is a great site, you'll find lots of information and support
Old 10-14-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. I know where you're at. You need to try to just ride the anxiety out from the withdrawal. Believe me, I know this is no simple task. If it gets too bad go in to the ER, they will help you through. Detox can be very dangerous. You can do this though.... I did just over a year ago. Drinking to make it stop doesn't usually help you quit. It leaves you with drinking a beer as an out, and you want out..... Not an "out" from the withdrawal.

Wishing you the best as you begin this journey. Keep posting and reading.... This site is an amazing place for support, encouragement and answers

RE
Old 10-14-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The worst of this anxiety and panic was about 7 days for me. It was terrible as in sure you're experiencing the first 3-5 days and then started getting less intense and farther between each episode. It sucks.... But you need to find a way to get past this part to start to feel some relief. Your dr can also help you get through it if you're honest with him and he feels it's ok for you to do on your own...... Hope this helps.

Remember though, each person is different. What I've described was my experience. People have ecpirienced less than this, and people have ecpirienced more. Along with different symptoms. Mine were mostly anxiety, panic, dehydration and headaches.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had withdrawals before but nothing like what I just experienced. The panic attack set in my heart rate went through the ceiling and my entire body was shaking uncontrollability. I literally though I was going to die so I drove to the closest store not only scared but embarrassed by the shape I had let myself get in. I basically ran to the cooler grabbed a bud light and chugged it in the store hoping that that would help and after about 5 minutes it did. I know drinking isn't the best thing to do when trying to quit but I've read a lot about tapering down when you drink a lot. I would go to an er to help but don't have insurance and I'm embarrassed to tell my family.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thats okay, smckay. You know what you want to do, and it can be a tough thing to get started. Going from 20 to 0 is especially hard. If at all possible, you should seek a doctors help to avoid dt's which can be life threatening. But, don't give up. Keep your eye on the prize of no longer being enslaved to alcohol. But be safe in your method and approach to quitting. Call an AA hotline or other public service to see if you can get some help for free. You might be surprised. And keep coming back here. It helps.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really encourage you to go to the ER and get medical advice on how to proceed. Detoxing from alcohol can be unpredictable and dangerous. But, have faith that you will be able to get through this and live a sober life. We're here for you.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

welcome and God bless
Old 10-14-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Smckay!!
Old 10-14-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Smckay. You're never alone.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Smckay

I recommend seeing a Dr too, especially if you're concerned - it really is the safest way.

Trying to drink the withdrawal away just means you perpetuate the problem - if you've heard of kindling you'll know what I mean - the klonger we drink the worse our withdrawals can become.

The sooner you make the decision to detox, preferably with supervision or at least with professional advice, the better.

D
Old 10-14-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smckay87 View Post
Hey all I am brand new to SR and am looking to quit drinking for good. I've been drinking alcohol since the age of 21 but it didn't become a serious problem until I was 25. I am now 29 and have been drinking daily for 6 months. The last 2 weeks have been bad drinking about 20 beers a day usually within a 6 hour period. I decided I need to quit and have been having really bad withdrawals. Full body shakes extreme anxiety with panic attacks after every 5 minutes so now I am at the bar drinking the withdrawal away. I am looking for support and hoping I can gain some insight on the best way to quit.
Hey Smckay. You have come to the most friendly, supportive, non-judgemental, inspiring place to help you along your journey.

I cannot emphasize enough how much better off you'll be quitting while you're still in your twenties. I went through a world of [crap] in my late thirties and forties because I failed to take my problem seriously enough, early enough. You can turn it around and still have your whole awesome life ahead of you.

I hope you decide to. We'll walk with you!
Old 10-14-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Smckay87. Stay close...there are lot of wise and kind people here who can help!
Old 10-16-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Slow and steady

I'm still anxious as hell been tapering off my drinking like I said I used to drink 20 plus beers for the past 2 weeks. I started at 18 day 1, 14 day 2 and now doing only 8 today. I slept well last night after taking melontin knocked me out. Feeling like I should still go to the ER but I'm scared for some reason. Thanks for all the comments and support
Old 10-16-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

we understand. It's a scary thing. Are you alone? Does anyone know what you are doing as far as this goes? ER always sounds scary. But they see this all the time and know how to help you through those feelings.