Notices

the old watering hole

Old 10-13-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the old watering hole

Hi all,
Since the Broncos and Chargers are playing tonight, I asked my wife if we could order wings for diner (since I'm just a bit over 30 days sober we agreed I should not carry money), she said yes and gave me enough to cover the bill.
Now this hot wing place is ny favorite, good people, little Mom and Pop restaurant, great food ect...however it is two doors up from a bar that I went to a lot, hell I had my own bar stool. I don't know why I did this but while waiting for my order I decided to head over to the bar, just to see who's there. Now I had no intention of having a drink and as soon as I opened the door it hit me like a ton of bricks. This place stinks! Sour beer, old pi#s, cheap perfume, sweat, mold, it just fricken stunk! I saw a lot of the same old sad men and women, being loud, acting stupid and the place smells horrible. I couldn't believe it, there was a time I thought this place was great, loved coming here, hung out for hours, some Saturday morings I even took my kids here (when Mom worked Saturdays, and Dad was needing a drink) it is now so disgusting, a smelly room of people committing suicide on the instalment plan.
I turned quick on my heel, went back to the wing hut, got my order and now I'm home, where I belong. Enjoying a meal with my family waiting for the game to start. It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to imagine my old drunk, sick life, when I see how amazing things can be when not soaked in booze.
Just a random thought, I wanted to share.
Keep strong people it is worth it.
Mick
Old 10-13-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job Mick. The wings are reward enough. No need for booze.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah the world just ain't the same without your beer goggles on. It's amazing how low you'll go when constantly chasing inebriation. I hate going to events that are in my old drinking environments. It's not that I want to drink when there. It just reminds me of how dysfunctional my life was.
Stay Well!
Old 10-13-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stuff like that makes me feel really grateful.....and humble because I'm just one drink from where I was.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice job nick. No need to ever go back
Old 10-13-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good decision Mick

D
Old 10-13-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kinda similar story here: The week after my detox, I was in outpatient rehab. I was early to a meeting I had a seat in the lobby. Didn't notice at first, until someone used the hand sanitizer dispenser I was sitting next too, I about lost my cookies (the smell of alcohol turned my stomach) And wondered if that was a good idea to have a alcohol based sanitizer in a rehab clinic
Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days, that is wonderful.
I had a similar experience. Solidify that picture in your head now you have seen it with clear eyes and it will serve you well if the AV comes with its cravings and lies.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mick75 View Post
Hi all,
Since the Broncos and Chargers are playing tonight, I asked my wife if we could order wings for diner (since I'm just a bit over 30 days sober we agreed I should not carry money), she said yes and gave me enough to cover the bill.
Now this hot wing place is ny favorite, good people, little Mom and Pop restaurant, great food ect...however it is two doors up from a bar that I went to a lot, hell I had my own bar stool. I don't know why I did this but while waiting for my order I decided to head over to the bar, just to see who's there. Now I had no intention of having a drink and as soon as I opened the door it hit me like a ton of bricks. This place stinks! Sour beer, old pi#s, cheap perfume, sweat, mold, it just fricken stunk! I saw a lot of the same old sad men and women, being loud, acting stupid and the place smells horrible. I couldn't believe it, there was a time I thought this place was great, loved coming here, hung out for hours, some Saturday morings I even took my kids here (when Mom worked Saturdays, and Dad was needing a drink) it is now so disgusting, a smelly room of people committing suicide on the instalment plan.
I turned quick on my heel, went back to the wing hut, got my order and now I'm home, where I belong. Enjoying a meal with my family waiting for the game to start. It is becoming increasingly difficult for me to imagine my old drunk, sick life, when I see how amazing things can be when not soaked in booze.
Just a random thought, I wanted to share.
Keep strong people it is worth it.
Mick
Reminded me of this and well done!!
https://youtu.be/CgoDYK3IlGg
Old 10-13-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
Congratulations on 30 days, that is wonderful.
I had a similar experience. Solidify that picture in your head now you have seen it with clear eyes and it will serve you well if the AV comes with its cravings and lies.
Dang notimetoloose, you hit it right on the head, when I was all boozed up, that bar was a safe haven, a palace, now I know what it looks like, and I will take your advice and burn that picture and the stink into my mind, and on the B side the meal and fun I had with my family. Thanks what you said really hit home.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post. Bars weren't my thing, but I had a similar experience with one of my dozens of minimarts, kwiki marts, circle Ks, where I'd get beer after work each day. After I stopped drinking, I had occasion to go to one close to my house for chips, and I realized it was a dirty, poorly lit, overpriced dump that smelled like pee. Funny, I never realized that whenever I used to stop by for my nightly "supplies."
Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I have had similar experiences, too. I was a bar fly here in my small town. I have been back to a few of the bars I used to frequent, for various reasons. I'm never tempted to drink alcohol in any of them anymore - they just seem like sad, dark, smelly places now. And I used to think I was having so much fun. Watching other people drink themselves toward an early grave makes me even more grateful that I made the decision to choose life.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic Mick!!

Plus there is nothing like watching sport Sober either, remembering every play the following morning!!
Old 10-14-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Be careful not to judge. Sober coloured glasses are still tinted glasses.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

All this talk of visiting old haunts reminds me of a cautionary tale (a true story, actually) on page 36 of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.