Notices

Hi guys

Old 10-13-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi guys

Hi guys. Essay ahead, I guess, this is me venting for the first time ever.

I'm in my 20s, struggling to cope with adult life and Alcoholism has me bad. I've always found it incredibly difficult to talk about in person so I'm really hoping I don't feel so much cringe opening up here.

I'm frightened for both my physical and mental health from this. I start getting so much anxiety at the thought of not touching a drop even for an evening. It crept up on me so much more subtly that I didn't see what it had done to me until it was too late.

Not having anyone to talk to has meant I don't really know what I'm doing. I've tried on sheer willpower with very mixed results, and I'm just desperately hoping I can get some help here. I want a shot at a proper life, if I still can.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR, Nat! Glad you found us. It is easy to share here because we never judge. We all have our stories to tell and alot in common. We are great listeners and sharers of our own successes and failures. Hope you gain much from being a part of SR and that you begin to understand what alcoholism is all about. Keep posting and reading other posts.
Again, Welcome! ♡CR
Old 10-13-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Nat, welcome to SR it's a great place. Join the class of October 16 if you wish more new comers there and lots of support for each other.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honestly thank you for the warm welcome. I'll do my best. I'm not even exactly sure why I have so much trouble talking about it.

I'm happier than I've been all week already.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got sober using SR. I just read a lot and still do everyday. I really got a lot of benefit from the AVRT threads in the secular forum. At some point I honestly accepted that I couldn't drink without unwanted consequences. Thats when it all changed for me. Good luck; you can do it.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you Nat, welcome to SR!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi, Nat! Glad you made the scene.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nat127 View Post
I want a shot at a proper life, if I still can.
Absolutely, you can have a shot at a proper life, Nat. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time and kick this thing in my 20's. It would be priceless.

You can absolutely leave this whole nightmare behind for good, and never look back, if you want to. Whatever you do, do not let this thing continue any longer, because it can indeed destroy you.

Are you willing to give up the alcohol that is presently mortgaging your future? It's not nearly as difficult to do as you imagine.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nat, I think most of us were scared and overwhelmed by the idea of never drinking again. I know I was. If you just take it slow, try to not think about forever but just focus on getting through each day, you will be fine.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, you still have a wonderful shot at a proper life. Stay connected to the good people here at this site, they will help you tremendously. Good on you for recognizing it is an issue.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Nat

D
Old 10-13-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome SR Nat!!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Nat127. You are young. And you have great insight into your problem and the fact that you need to address it. Those are big pluses.

And, now, you have the support and advice of all of the wonderful people here at SR.

Good luck. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nat - it's so great to have you with us! It really helped me to talk things over here. No one judged, everyone truly understood (not like most people in our lives). Posting here is a good distraction when you're feeling anxious. It will get better as you get some sober time behind you & begin to heal.

I'd love to go back to my 20's and do what you're doing! I kept trying to manage it on my own using willpower. It never worked, so I kept drinking for many more years. By then my life was in ruins. This won't happen to you, Nat.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Nat - Wishing you all the best
Old 10-13-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you found us, and that you're realise what a lot of this boils down to - living adult life on life's terms. This can be so incredibly difficult for many of us. Alcoholics seems to be great at managing the BIG stuff. It's the everyday responsibilities that drag us down. Mostly due to a kind of distorted sense of self a lot of the time - what we should and should have to do, and how this person or that person should think of us, or treat us. And how we should and could be. All those shoulds and could take their toll. For me, a lot of recovery has been about acceptance. Of all sorts of things.

AA do an excellent little book called Living Sober which has some really good advice in. It's cheap as chips, even for a book copy, but you can also get it for Kindle. The other book that really helped me at the start of my journey was one called Monkey on my Shoulder.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 10-13-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Nat, welcome to SR!
Old 10-13-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So sorry to hijack, but can someone please tell me how to start a new post?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by LifeChanges View Post
So sorry to hijack, but can someone please tell me how to start a new post?
If you're in a forum you'd like to put a new post in, scroll down till you see the little 'New Thread' icon and click on that. Easy peasy (when you know how) .
Old 10-13-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it all going Nat?

D