Notices

Work seems to be suffering sober.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work seems to be suffering sober.

Since I've stopped drinking it seems as if I've lost my "edge". I'm self employed and buy/sell/manage small business'. My negotiating 'technique' has faltered as well as my profits. This sucks!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Since I've stopped drinking it seems as if I've lost my "edge". I'm self employed and buy/sell/manage small business'. My negotiating 'technique' has faltered as well as my profits. This sucks!
Looking at the big picture.
If alcoholic?
Staying sober will work out for your best in the long run.

I also had some sales positions where the booze seemed to grease the wheels in a positive way. Owner of a bicycle shop, sales of discount long distance with proxy 20 employees, vitamin sales etc.

But, after a long run it all caught up with me in a terrible way. When I sobered up this last time I couldn't or wouldn't do much of anything for several weeks. The first big project that I tackled wasn't until I was sober for a few months.

Hang in there for the sober life is a good one.
M-Bob
Old 10-12-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dontremember - you're pretty newly sober right now, yeah?

It took me a while for mind and body to heal - it was worth it tho.

I like what Bexxed said recently:

They asked me, "why did you stop drinking? Like, did something HAPPEN?" I said, " Yes and no. I had enough. It wasn't doing anything for me, and I came to realize it never will." Later he said, "OK, so, in order to really be myself, to express and create, I need an edge. I know you need that edge. I know you. So, what do you do for that edge?" What a question. I said, "I don't need an edge. I am the edge. I don't get that externally. It actually doesn't help anything. It numbs me. For a long time I told myself that I needed alcohol for a lot of things - to have an edge, to feel sharp, to feel calm, all kinds of things. But then I started to think it was a lie. I was right.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...d-tonight.html
I have more edge now than I ever had as a drinker. Drinking dulled me.

I think it's called recovery cos we're recovering from something serious.
Try and be patient DR.

D
Old 10-12-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had an adderall prescription I came to rely on. I thought early on 9 months ago, I would be a shell of my former amphetamined up self. That's exactly what happened the first few months. It wasn't until later I realized that drinking or using drugs just gave me the feeling I was invincible and the feeling without it gave me the feeling I was a shell of my former addict self.

If I take a negative outlook on my capabilities, I've already lost. It's like picking up a rock and trying to run a mile. Drop the rock, fight on.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks,guys! It's true before I started drinking myself into oblivion I was sharper and more "Into it". I just had the call I've been stressing about for the past 2 days and it wasn't as bad as I expected. I handled myself exactly like I would while drinking. Even better actually! No slurring or feeling like I 'hustled' them. It is what it was,so it's now in my sober hands to decide. No knee jerk/vodka fueled decision(s).

Thanks for that quote Dee! That's exactly how I feel now.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dontremember,

I had thought processes similar to yours,

I lost a business that I worked hard to build up due to a client going bust on me. I did think that I would struggle to rebuild a new business whilst sober as I did do most of my work/bravado/blagging whatever you want to call it, behind a computer screen whilst under the influence of alcohol.

My business very nearly succeeded. I've since rebuilt it over the last few months and with a clear mind and all of the experience gained over the last few years we are now going from strength to strength.

What you really need to say to yourself is this......

If you were good at your job whilst being an addict to a destructive drug that wrecks lives. How good can you be whilst free of this demon drug?

The answer is, and I know this personally, A HELL OF A LOT BETTER!

Good luck,

Bruno.