Notices

Anxiety

Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

I am having crippling anxiety, most likely from withdrawals or PAWS. If anybody has any good relaxation techniques or tips on good ways to distract yourself, I would really appreciate it. I had a panic attack on the way to work this morning and simply turned around and went home, afraid my co-workers would think I was a lunatic or worst... figure out I am an addict. I wake up several times a night in a full on panic. When awake, I involuntarily take huge breaths like I am forgetting to breathe or something. I am also extremely emotional and constantly getting that impending doom feeling. Any of this sound normal? I'm more of a bingey drunk as opposed to a 24/7 one so I don't get why this is such an issue for me. Ugh, this is awful. Thanks, guys.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I dealt with anxiety during the end of my drinking and well into sobriety as well Rupert, I know exactly how you feel. I turned around from business trips and cancelled meetings, etc in the past. I personally view my anxiety as a completely separate condition that I must treat separately from my sobriety - and i've used self help, therapy and even a medication. A combination of a lot of those things has really helped me keep it to a manageable/livable thing. I'd suggest seeing a therapist or counselor if you have the option.

My anxiety was REALLY bad in the first month or so after I quit drinking, not sure where you are in your journey. But yeah...a lot of this stuff is unfortunately normal for anxiety. It's absolutely treatable though.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rupert are you getting any exercise ?
I understand that when we have anxiety it may be the last thing on our mind
but, it truly helps -- getting some fresh oxygen to the mind and body.
M-Bob
Old 10-12-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rupert, I was wondering where you were, I had replied to a previous thread to you about your first day at work. Sorry to hear about the anxiety. When I was drinking I would get those crazy attacks, I am now just over 6 months sober and have not experienced anything like it since. I was looking at your avatar and wondered if you could change it to a clean shaven Edward Norton, just to see a different perspective :-), sorry if that is inappropriate. I am glad you came back and I really do hope you make a plan so you don't have to go through this pain and anxiety anymore. hugs to you
Old 10-12-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I, too, suffered from very bad anxiety, and it got worse immediately after I took my last drink.

For me, a doctor's advice and, ultimately, medication, got me through the really rough times.

As I got further into sobriety, the anxiety diminished, as did my need for the medication.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have some great books on dealing with anxiety in our Book List. I have found that simple breathing techniques can help a lot and there are a lot more ideas in these books:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places That Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain That Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne The Power of Intention and Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Jeffers, Susan Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway

Orsilla, Ken Mindful way Through Anxiety
Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Belier. Sorry I didn't respond. Work has been going okay but now I have missed two days because I feel like I can't function with these panic attacks. My job is semi-dangerous so I think I made the right decision to call out. I wouldn't want to get anybody hurt but feel guilty missing time because my anxiety is probably 95% due my heavy drinking the past few years four or so years. Sorry you don't like my avatar Rupert from Fight Club goes to support groups. It just made me chuckle, I wasn't trying to be negative with it or anything. Thanks for checking in with me!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've experienced precisely what you describe, not often, but its happened. Two things:

1. its one of the reasons I quit drinking. I hated it and it wasn't worth it.
2. They went away when I quit.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I use You Tube relaxation, meditation, and yoga. Magnesium helps..Calm Magnesium powder from the health food store makes a nice hot drink, also Bach's Rescue Remedy comes in many forms. Getting out in nature, drink lots of water, less coffee, Epsom Salts baths.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Rupert, Don't get my wrong I like it and the movie was great, I just know that images are powerful and what we choose to relate to. All good. :-)

Do you think you want to get serious about not drinking? it is tough to start with but if you push through it really is empowering and an incredible journey. I opened up to my doctor and was blown away just how much they did not judge and almost respected me saying hey, I need help. Then I was helped with guidance. Have a little think about it, sometimes it is hard to see the forest for the trees and you need some of us to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am sure you don't want groundhog day with all this, it can only change if you do things differently. Keep around we all really want the best for you Rupert.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, Belier! Yeah, I do want to get serious. Do you(or anyone) have the link about recovery plans? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think Dee has a good one, he will probably be along to share it soon.

That is great, buckle up for a little bit of crappy stuff (just reality), push through and things really really turn around. I am rooting for you Rupert!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not an anxious person per se, and I've never had an anxiety attack, but I know what it feels like to not be able to breathe. Coming out of anesthesia one time I felt like I couldn't breathe and when I tried to say, "Help", I felt like I couldn't say it. Luckily my Dr. came into the recovery room, spoke in a calm & soothing voice, told the nurse to give me a shot of Demerol (I think). Then I could breathe.

Feeling like you can't breathe feeds back into the anxiety and increases it.

Perhaps recognizing when you are in the early portion of a full fledged panic attack could help you, as in, when you start to have one, tell yourself it will pass just like it has passed before.

Also, I think it helps to have a calm soothing person tell you "It's okay...you'll be alright."

Being in a dangerous profession is hard. So, hang in there.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Get lots and lots and lots of exercise! Then get some more exercise! One thing that's worked for my own anxiety in the past is Bikram yoga. It's a 90-minute yoga class in a heated room. You focus on breathing and stretching, and since the room is so hot your muscles relax and you get some really deep stretches in. A few of those classes each week and your anxiety will melt away.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you shirlygirly...I found Bikram also on You Tube!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Rupert,

My anxiety was horrific in the end.

The only way to quell it was...get drunk...but the booze caused it. It was a death spiral.

After i quit, it took months for it to go away. It is discouraging. But, I hung in there. Many need meds. I managed somehow w no meds. The meds are as addictive as booze w new issues...they tell me...

Get over the physical, then the mental shows through. Eat when you crave. Stay hydrated. Study your addiction. It is science, but faith and support help deal w the healing process.

It gets better everyday.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Anxiety is my biggest issue. I am still drinking just to deal with it. I have been planning to do medical detox but I keep having to put it off because of business. I started the day in Toronto having a couple of scotches to get through my meetings during the day. By 4 pm I was crawling out of my skin.

A couple of scotches before the airport, a couple on the plane. And so it goes.

I need time to heal. I need time to weather the anxiety, but right now, alcohol is all I can do to keep it together until I can take the wrk for detox.

So yeah, I think anxiety is the number one reason people relapse.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck, ERosey! Hope you get well soon.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stop drinking, and the madness will follow.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Is there any chance you are having troubles breathing in your sleep?