Notices

Feeling out of control

Old 10-11-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling out of control

Hi all. I'm new to this site and hoping to find support within its pages to help me kick my dependency on alcohol. I feel like this past weekend was a really terrible and I'm scared for myself and the implications this addiction will deal to me.

This past weekend I fell down the stairs, woke up passed out on the couch at 3am with wine in my hand, woke up again at 3am in my bedroom with all the lights on the next night. Picked fights with people who truly love me. Got upset at 5:30 am over something stupid and proceeded to finish of 3/4 a bottle of wine and then got into the vodka. Passed out. Missed several sweet phone calls and text messages from my loved ones who were probably thinking I was ignoring them. I didn't eat. I acted completely irrationally before bed last night and broke up with my boyfriend. And then I woke up very sick this morning and had to miss work.

I returned all my bottles on Saturday. It's Tuesday and I have six more to return. This is costing me so much money, and time with people who love me. I can't seem to spend any quality time with people because I crave being home with my addiction.

Typing all that out is embarrassing and hurtful. What am I doing? I don't want to be this person. I need to take the first step and stop this madness. I sincerely hope I can start today, and hope to spend some time on these pages finding that it possible.

Anyways. Thanks for listening, and hello.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site and I hope you find the support and encouragement you need here. The first step is to realize it's a problem you can't beat and have a desire to stop. Many, like myself have found success with AA. You don't have to drink anymore.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ashlee,

Hi and welcome.

You have come to a good place.

Booze is hard to quit w out a good reason.

I had a medical scare and haven't had a drink in 17 months.

Consider yourself lucky, on parole, and stop immediately.

If you were in jail would you drink?

Read the stickies.

Realize you are an addict. It is not a mysterious force. It is science.

Get ready for some mental difficulty.

When you crave, eat. Also eat candy when you crave. It tricks the brain.

Others will be along to offer support and advice.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Ashlee609 View Post
I need to take the first step and stop this madness.
admitting that you have a problem with alcohol and that you might need help IS the first step in recovery

welcome and God bless

Old 10-11-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to you! You're among people who have experienced many of the same things. We know the shame and the fear and the craziness. Let's help each other put all that crap behind us!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Ashlee, I think that is great that you are taking stock and wanting a better life. It is really worth it. Lots of support here and people that truly understand. welcome aboard
Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ashlee. You're among people who understand and care. I myself just joined this site a little over a month ago. I've had more sober time in that time than I have in over seven years, with, unfortunately, two 4 day relapses mixed in that stretch as well. Like you, this past weekend was bad. Very bad. I literally don't remember about 2/3 of it. I'm horrified, but I can't change what I did. I can choose a different future, though.

What you'll get here is a lot of support mixed with some tough love and awesome advice. If you fail, pick yourself up and adjust your sobriety plan. I adjusted after my last bender and was able to work through a craving today, thankfully.

Stick around, read, and post. Welcome again.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Ashlee. Never be embarrassed to talk things over here. We want to help - we've all been through it.

I was behaving in the same way before I quit. I was reckless and stupid - never knew where those drinks were going to take me. In fact, it was actually dangerous to be so unaware of my actions. I had tried to many times to use willpower to control how many drinks I'd have - it never worked once. Stopping all together was my only option. It's wonderful to be free of it. You can do this.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words. I've been struggling the last hour. There's a voice in my head trying to reason with me to get me to go pour a drink. You shouldn't stop cold turkey, it will help with the shakes, it'll kill some time and you won't be bored....

I know this is going to be one of the most challenging things I've faced in my life. I can only hope that one hour turns into two, and I'm still sipping my water. Hopefully the struggle gets easier with time. Isn't that the truth with all things?

I am a really strong person, so I know I can do this. But geez that voice in my head. Like, whose is it? Because I am sitting here fully present typing out to strangers in a sober recovery forum. Obviously I've made a decision not to drink. Go away voice, you are not welcome here.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Ashlee, You don't ever have to go through this again. Hevyn referenced freedom in her post . That's so true! Sweet freedom. It's there for you too.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Lots of support on here!!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ashlee
I think you've made a great decision - I got to the point where I simply didn;t want to be 'that person' anymore....

There's tons of support and good ideas here

D
Old 10-11-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Ashlee
I think you've made a great decision - I got to the point where I simply didn;t want to be 'that person' anymore....

There's tons of support and good ideas here

D
Thank you. I don't want to be 'that person' anymore. I've been sitting here for the last hour taking a look at what I've been doing. That's not really me.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome Ashlee. I hope you're doing ok so far still.

Wishing you lots of strength and patience tonight.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Ashlee!

I hated the person I'd become. Like you, my life became smaller and smaller because I preferred to be home alone, drinking. Have faith that you can do this. My suggestions for the early days are to make sure you have no alcohol in the house, change your daily routine, and work on a plan for recovery. We're here for you.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, this is a very helpful source of guidance, support and information.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ashlee609 View Post
Thank you all for your kind words. I've been struggling the last hour. There's a voice in my head trying to reason with me to get me to go pour a drink. You shouldn't stop cold turkey, it will help with the shakes, it'll kill some time and you won't be bored....

I know this is going to be one of the most challenging things I've faced in my life. I can only hope that one hour turns into two, and I'm still sipping my water. Hopefully the struggle gets easier with time. Isn't that the truth with all things?

I am a really strong person, so I know I can do this. But geez that voice in my head. Like, whose is it? Because I am sitting here fully present typing out to strangers in a sober recovery forum. Obviously I've made a decision not to drink. Go away voice, you are not welcome here.

Welcome to SR Ashlee

Now is the time to do LOTS of reading around the site, and if you feel like stepping away do something to keep yourself busy or do something to pamper yourself like a nap or a warm bath or shower, nice walk outside, bit of netflix binging.

If you look at the different forums on the site you can learn about different recovery programs people use, Dee also has a link for recovery plans, I'm sure it'll get linked or someone will bump it for you. There's a 24 hour thread that you can commit to 24 hours of sobriety with a whole bunch of us, there is an October class you can join for support... there is lots of awesome support here.

You CAN do this. Don't listen to that voice- you're right, it's not you.
Lean on SR lots until you get your legs back under you and some traction in the direction you want to take.
As it's often said around these halls, you don't ever have to feel this way again.
And you are not alone.

The end of my drinking career was full of all kinds of awful, terrifying and dangerous fireworks too. Be kind to yourself. Fear, shame, self-pity, ego, all those types of things lead us back to drinking. Go look in the mirror and tell yourself you love you. And that you love you enough to work on forgiving yourself. Because you're worth that much and much more.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I ate lots of sweets in the early days of my sobriety.

I tried to keep it clean w yogurt and granola.

But, I also had cookies and sugary drinks. It helps w the crave.

Now clean for a good while, unfortunately I am still a sugar junkie....not as bad as before though...and it is better than being a drunk.

Snack when you crave.

It gets better.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ashlee, the mornings are going to be so great, it Feels really good not to be hungover, definitely helps make the decision easier!