Notices

9 Months Off Ambein Now Stop Drinking

Old 10-10-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 Months Off Ambein Now Stop Drinking

So I've had rough 9 month but started to feel better. Everyone told me I wouldn't recover fully unless I give up drinking. I stop drinking 3 days ago and I feel like my withdrawal is back to square one. My morning anxiety is very high but I start to feel better as the day progresses. I never considered myself to be a heavy drinker as I drank 2-4 drinks a night right at bed time. I never drink in any other social setting or ever feel like a had to have a drink. But come bed time I run to the fridge and run through my nightly ritual. The past month I tapered slowing down to about 3 oz a night and felt good until now. I don't know if my anxiety is the alcohol or just lingering benzo. My guess is the alcohol. How long can I expect to keep feeling like this? I want this nightmare to go away. I almost fel like going back to 2 beers a day but I really want to live a clean life. Been having a few drinks every night for more then a decade and want to be liberated.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Ambien is a sedative in a class of drugs known as "hypnotics." It is not a benzodiazepine. Withdrawal symptoms typically do not last for more than a few days.

There's no way to be certain, but unless you've been taking any other drugs, like the benzos you mentioned, then alcohol withdrawal seems a likely candidate for your symptoms. As to how long your anxiety will last, there's just no way to tell. If your anxiety preceded your most recent level of drinking, then the primary disorder may be anxiety, rather than either insomnia or an alcohol use disorder, or a consequence of putting down the drink.

If you want more certainty, then you need to consult your doctor. Either way, it's probably a good idea to meet with your doc.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ambein withdrawal is very similar to benzo. Take a look on benzo buddy and see for yourself. I took them for a decade and I suffer the same withdrawal symptoms as a Xanax user. If you read benzo withdrawal guides and how to tape all the z drugs are included.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Stbloc View Post
Ambein withdrawal is very similar to benzo. Take a look on benzo buddy and see for yourself. I took them for a decade and I suffer the same withdrawal symptoms as a Xanax user. If you read benzo withdrawal guides and how to tape all the z drugs are included.
This doesn't change anything in my comments. You've been off ambien for nine months.

And you still need to see your doctor.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My guess would be your guess is right. I think you'd be giving yourself a much better shot with getting rid of the alcohol. For me after a time even small amounts of alcohol would really exacerbate my anxiety.

I agree with EndGame, seeing the dr would be a great idea.
I hope you can get yourself some sober time under your belt. If you find after a time your anxiety doesn't decrease with sobriety, then you can further manage that with your dr, mental health professionals and lifestyle changes.
Glad you are here Sr is a great place with a lot of great reading and resources. Look around at the stickies in the newcomers forum, as well as the alcoholism forum. You will get lots of good advice and support here.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Stbloc!!