Notices

If Drinking is Just a Choice

Old 10-13-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Don't worry Tatsy, you haven't offended me in the least! I was dithering over whether it was worth sacrificing deep held beliefs for a bit of company haha
The recovery woman I saw yesterday was bulldozing me into the 3 month program that starts on Monday telling me it wasn't a full on AA thing, which she knew I had reservations about, said there was a lot of CBT in it.
Today, she said, they do the first 3 steps, other AA stuff and apart from attending there 5 days a week I would also have to attend 3 other AA meetings in my spare time.
I came home, read a bit of RR and rang her back and pulled out.
I can't do it. I don't believe in a thing she was offering. I won't become a "need company, do anything for it" sellout.
I'll look for a voluntry job until I can get a paid one
Old 10-13-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sainos View Post
I came home, read a bit of RR and rang her back and pulled out.
Read the whole book, sainos, and read through the AVRT discussion threads on the secular connections forum on this site. Read without any other distractions, so you can recognize the AV loud and clear. Work through all of the exercises in the book.

This will save you a lot of time and effort.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Well Ive jumped now Algorithm, no going back it's my recovery of choice, so you can be sure I'll be throwing myself into it 100%
Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Sainos, I'm so relieved I didn't offend you. This whole alcohol issue is really, life or death, once it progresses. I was at that stage. But I logged on here, after discounting the group recovery route and ramping up my intake whilst following the same group recovery movement.

The alternative is like a laser beam, stopping the destructive (albeit it normal) life instinct/habit from hi-jacking our minds. We are not our autonomic brains . We are higher, regulating, true self, thinking about long term rewards (sobriety) over short term aims, drinking. You can do this too, Sainos.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I know I can, but it's also nice to hear it coming from someone else haha
I am now going to reaquaint myself to the method I am most comfortable with. The isolation is a different matter, having just come off a binge I didn't recognise that I was mixing the two issues.
I have no ambivalance over choosing RR to concentrate on
I can't squeeze myself into a place that doesn't fit me.

Choice is a marvelous thing. There should be more of it in face to face recovery.
But for me now, the angst of choosing a method and a plan is over. A new life begins!