Notices

If Drinking is Just a Choice

Old 10-11-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I have stopped drinking Soberpotamus. It's staying stopped I have to work on...there's always a catch haha
But staying stopped is my aim.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Back to the original question, Is drinking a choice?
Once you get past the physical dependence on alcohol (when your body actually needs it to survive), taking a drink is a choice.
For arguments sake, let’s use an arbitrary number of days, call it 30 days to be on the ‘safe’ side.
If you had not consumed alcohol for 30 days straight, it is fair to say the physical dependence on alcohol has passed. If you drink for any reason beyond that time period, you made the choice to drink. No ifs, ands, or buts about it, you chose to drink.

And to be sure, 30 days is not a scientific number. Depending on which 'scientist' you ask, it varies. But it's probably much less than 30 days.

Not dismissing all of the commentary above, I am in the school of “Quit drinking and figure out why you became an alcoholic later.” It doesn’t matter why, the fact remains that it IS. Trying to understand something while you are still under the ‘influence’ of that something can be futile.
I like to use the analogy of being in a burning building. You are inside a burning house with flames all around. Do you just sit there and try to figure out how the fire started before you get out? No, you get your ass out of there pdq. Worry about how the fire started once you are safely away from it.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey sainos,

Here is how I see it: once we grab the first drink all the ones that follow are not a choice, addiction has kicked in and we're in for god knows how long, at least for the rest of the day.

Now, the first drink, that is always a choice (assuming no physical dependency here, even though that in my view is also ultimately a choice). My focus has been on avoiding that first drink, I find it easier than working out how I am going to stay sober forever, and since they both lead to the same result I am happy with the simple answer.

By the way I do like these discussions a lot, so much wisdom here, I m grateful for being a part of this community.

P
Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sainos View Post
All I want, is someone with a magic wand to tap me on the head and say ...there you will never want another drink again in your life.....is that too much to ask?
Your desire for the absence of the desire to drink is simply a plan to drink in the presence of that desire. It is a well worn path to the bottle. This is one fundamental "trap" that cannot be seen from within the bubble of addiction.

You may or may not agree, but think it over.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Back to the original question, Is drinking a choice?
Once you get past the physical dependence on alcohol (when your body actually needs it to survive), taking a drink is a choice.
For arguments sake, let’s use an arbitrary number of days, call it 30 days to be on the ‘safe’ side.
If you had not consumed alcohol for 30 days straight, it is fair to say the physical dependence on alcohol has passed. If you drink for any reason beyond that time period, you made the choice to drink. No ifs, ands, or buts about it, you chose to drink.

And to be sure, 30 days is not a scientific number. Depending on which 'scientist' you ask, it varies. But it's probably much less than 30 days.

Not dismissing all of the commentary above, I am in the school of “Quit drinking and figure out why you became an alcoholic later.” It doesn’t matter why, the fact remains that it IS. Trying to understand something while you are still under the ‘influence’ of that something can be futile.
I like to use the analogy of being in a burning building. You are inside a burning house with flames all around. Do you just sit there and try to figure out how the fire started before you get out? No, you get your ass out of there pdq. Worry about how the fire started once you are safely away from it.
I understand what you are saying. Exploring all the options is not going to take away any motivation on my part not to drink. I just have too much time on my hands at the moment, and I think it is an interesting subject, with very many contradicting theories on the whys and wherefores, so just thought I'd put the question out there and see what other peoples views were
Old 10-11-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
Hey sainos,

Here is how I see it: once we grab the first drink all the ones that follow are not a choice, addiction has kicked in and we're in for god knows how long, at least for the rest of the day.

Now, the first drink, that is always a choice (assuming no physical dependency here, even though that in my view is also ultimately a choice). My focus has been on avoiding that first drink, I find it easier than working out how I am going to stay sober forever, and since they both lead to the same result I am happy with the simple answer.

By the way I do like these discussions a lot, so much wisdom here, I m grateful for being a part of this community.

P
Yes, I agree, getting the drink into you in the first place is a choice. After that for me, I'm not capable of having a choice anymore, it's an overwhelming drive, until I sober up enough (usually by passing out and running out of drink) to be able to choose again. Or by getting so sick I cannot physically keep anymore drink down me.
I like the thoughts of staying sober forever.
I have come to the conclusion, through this discussion with people, which I also have enjoyed That for me the DESIRE AND URGE to drink is not a choice, but a survival instinct malfunction, but the action of drinking is a choice.
I know the answer is to not drink, no matter how bad the urge is to do so. Whether it be a physical urge or a psychological urge..and I fully intend to do my best not to (drink)
Old 10-11-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Your desire for the absence of the desire to drink is simply a plan to drink in the presence of that desire. It is a well worn path to the bottle. This is one fundamental "trap" that cannot be seen from within the bubble of addiction.

Sorry, I was trying to be funny when I wrote that.
But I see your point. I should be just as steadfast in holding onto my conviction not to drink whether the desire to is there or not.
That is my aim. Because I can't see the impulses just suddenly stopping anytime soon, just because I want them to haha And they have no chance of growing any weaker or less frequent when I keep indulging them
Thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I almost want a strong urge to drink to come over me, so I can test out my new resolve haha. But I have found, it never usually comes when you are expecting it, it usually comes over you when you are not!
Old 10-11-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
quat

I was wanting to post and say some things, but you beat me to them, lol , I would have basically tried o relay the ideas in your last few posts.
Congrats on the resolve! One thing I would add , resolve ,also, to not change your mind !
Old 10-11-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
quat

Oh and to weigh in on the OP , Yes I believe drinking is a choice. And No I do not believe experiencing the desire is a choice, but I Do believe we can adopt/change our mindsets and that those conscious efforts can result in the lessening of the frequency and intensity of the desires.
Broadly , I believe that conscious directed focus can influence the 'workings' of the subconscious.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
OK, I read this comment this AM, and I'm sorry, I totally disagree. When I quit drinking, and started on the road of recovery, I lost my desire to drink...........

If I thought that the 'desire for the absence of the desire to drink is simply a plan to drink in the presence of that desire.' and/or that it was 'a well worn path to the bottle' I might never have quit. I certainly didn't want to live the rest of my life suppressing and/or denying a desire to drink; I'd have sooner continued drinking and died young(er); what a terrible way to live (not living in my eyes).

I made my decision to quit, and have not had a desire to drink since then; now this is living!!

(o:
Old 10-11-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
I certainly didn't want to live the rest of my life suppressing and/or denying a desire to drink; I'd have sooner continued drinking and died young(er); what a terrible way to live (not living in my eyes).
Therein lies the trap from within the bubble, NoelleR. You have described it rather vividly. Addiction is a prison without locks, but addiction shapes our perceptions, so that the prospect of leaving the prison appears worse than staying inside.

You are saying exactly what I said.

I made my decision to quit, and have not had a desire to drink since then; now this is living!!
Perhaps, but I won't dangle that promise as a carrot.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sainos View Post
Yes, I do believe that genetics plays a part too, our family is rife with people drinking themselves to death..four grandparents, my father, uncles, aunts, one of my sons (no he hasn't drank himself to death, but he will if he doesn't admit he's got a problem with it!)
I'll have a Google of that show. The doctor is leery of giving me medication, because of the bad state of my liver at the moment.
Thank you!!
Vivitrol is an injectable form of Revia, he should know about it... One injection per month suffices.

If you cannot find the show, PM me and I'll download it for you and burn a DVD/Blu-ray
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi Sainos, I have to believe it's a choice because I stopped drinking during my pregnancies. So why couldn't I stop before or after? Well, I could. I just didn't. That was my choice....just as it's my choice now not to drink.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Broadly , I believe that conscious directed focus can influence the 'workings' of the subconscious.
Me too dwtbd.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Quote:
I certainly didn't want to live the rest of my life suppressing and/or denying a desire to drink; I'd have sooner continued drinking and died young(er); what a terrible way to live (not living in my eyes).

Algorithm; Therein lies the trap from within the bubble, NoelleR. You have described it rather vividly. Addiction is a prison without locks, but addiction shapes our perceptions, so that the prospect of leaving the prison appears worse than staying inside.

Algorithm You are saying exactly what I said;
Originally Posted by NoelleR

Algorithm ;Perhaps, but I won't dangle that promise as a carrot.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...
I have to agree with Algorithm here NoelleR
You are lucky the desire left as soon as you decided to stop. But if like me, in the past, it hasn't and still pops up later, then not giving into it will make the urges lessen and become more controllable when they do come.
I don't think having the ocassional urge now and again once you have trained yourself to ignore them will stop you living a fulfilled life!

And the alternative? "Oh if I still have the urge I must act upon it or live in misery?" Therefore condemning yourself to a life of drinking just because you have strong urges in the beginning?

I do know people who have just stopped, no urges, never to look back. No recovery programmes, no nothing.

But I refuse to just lay down and give in just because I am still having urges
Old 10-11-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TorontoGuy28 View Post
Vivitrol is an injectable form of Revia, he should know about it... One injection per month suffices.

If you cannot find the show, PM me and I'll download it for you and burn a DVD/Blu-ray
Thankyou TorontoGuy, I appreciate your kind offer. But I would rather not go down the medication route if I can possibly help it.
I will look for the show though, because I am curious.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
Hi Sainos, I have to believe it's a choice because I stopped drinking during my pregnancies. So why couldn't I stop before or after? Well, I could. I just didn't. That was my choice....just as it's my choice now not to drink.
Yes. After this thread it's getting clearer in my mind. And reading my AVRT book again haha
I was always confusing the rogue physical URGE to drink, with NEEDING to drink, even though when the physical urge wasn't there I really never ever wanted to drink again.
But yes, people stop for all sorts of reasons, and if it wasn't a choice, well, you wouldn't have a choice in the matter would you?

Like, if someone came up and chopped one of my legs off, and I had a choice to grow it back, I could, but you don't have a choice so you can't.
But I know lots of people who gave up drinking, right off their own bat, so if even one person can do that, you know it must be a choice.
But I don't know of one person who grew a leg back!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I agree that it's a choice. But I would qualify it as saying there's a greater compulsion behind it than, say, deciding where you want to go out to dinner. Which I think is really the only explanation for why we continue to do it despite really horrible consequences. But . . . a more difficult choice is still a choice.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Yes, MeSoSober,
To me, when the compulsion was strong, it was as if I felt it wasn't a choice, I HAD to do it. That was what was confusing me when I started this thread, it's a choice to eat another busicut or not, but for me that choice doesn't have the DRIVE behind it that the choice to drink or not had. I was confusing that drive with a NEED.
I didn't "need" a drink. I need water, food, shelter but the drive to drink was as strong as the basic drives of the needs we have to have to survive.
Thats what was tricking me.
I recognise it now as a false "need" but the drive behind it is/was astounding