Notices

Joined many years...back again

Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Joined many years...back again

Hello,
I joined this site in 2010, but didn't stay very long. I told myself I didn't have a problem, and am no different from other drinkers. Except that I am because I continually put myself in a place where I hate myself and am ashamed. I just want to be proud of myself and feel like I'm living honestly. I do well for awhile and then go overboard again and again. I make myself miserable, and 99% of the time it's related to alcohol. I'm afraid I'm going to spend the rest of my life in this cycle and look back and have so many regrets. I already do...
Old 10-10-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Hope! There is absolutely a way our of the cycle you are stuck in, what have you tried in the past as far as program/plans to quit? There is a wealth of experience here and support for many of them, hope you can stick around and join us for some conversation.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Scott. I have never tried a program to quit, always just told myself I would stop and then of course didn't. Right now, for the first time ever, I've cleaned up my eating and exercising regularly, and was feeling so amazing and proud of myself. Then yesterday turned into a day of drinking. My instincts were to not go out, but then I felt guilty because my friend was begging me to go. I knew what would happen, I'd drink too much and then hate myself today, as I have soooo many other times. It makes me feel so desperate. I feel like all my hard work on my health is down the drain. I feel like I don't deserve to succeed because I've proven myself to be a failure.
How do I begin recovery?? I feel lost.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back hope :-)

Good luck & best wishes to you on your sober journey.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you tufty
Old 10-10-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back! I hope this is the beginning of a permanent recovery.

Some folks can stay sober using only SoberRecovery as a source of support, but you have to read around and post often. If this isn't enough, just know that there is probably an AA meeting soon near you where others offer their experience, strength and hope.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by hope51 View Post
How do I begin recovery?? I feel lost.
Don't worry, most of us felt lost too - I know for sure I did. You'll find a lot of understanding here on SR and also a lot of knowledge. I personally believe that no matter what any of us choose as a recovery
"plan", we first must accept our addiction for what it is. By that I mean accepting that alcohol is simply something I can never consume without eventually causing problems. I also accept that I will never be able to change that - so the only possible solution is to not drink at all, ever. I know it sounds kind of daunting but I think it's necessary to have that mindset heading into recovery.

As far as a "plan" - there are as many as there are people recovering. But I believe that in order to stay sober we need to set aside time each and ever day to work on being sober. That "work" could be many different things, but some of it needs to be focused directly on our sobriety. Exercise & diet changes can be part of that for certain.

Here's a great link that specifically talks about different plans and programs, if you've never read it give it a shot

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-10-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I'm in the same cycle....have been for 10 plus years.

I'm fit / exercise well and eat pretty much healthy but I slip time and time again.....I'll go day after, after day, after day drinking. I've had counselling, cut back but alas I always slip.

I wake up in a morning feeling dreadful and the first thing that spring into my mind is 'go get a drink, make you feel better'.

I need to change, I know I need to change but after so long how can I? I feel like a failure.

Like others have said...exercise, eat well = clear mind. I get that when I have a day off but I cannot seem to turn them into DAYS off.

Help.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope, (and Allsop)
Welcome to SR. I can certainly relate. But, all the exercise and healthy eating you do will not make you quit drinking. I may have used that to justify my drinking! (I ran and ate salad today - I deserve these bottles of cheap wine!)

For me, it took someone to wrench the glass out of my hand and make me quit. I really wanted to anyway but that was the kick in the butt I needed.

AA and similar organizations have helped many, many alcoholics recover. I'm a single Mom and it was not something I could work in very easily. SR members have given me support, advice, and a sense of not being alone.

Keep reading and posting.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Glad you made it back.

I had this of comparing myself to other drinkers. I'm not as bad as that guy. I didn't lose a job or live under a bridge etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rec...?client=safari

I can say, I was on probation for an alcohol related charge and I stopped drinking for 30 some days. I did start drinking again though and the only other time I was committed to stopping was after I started attending AA.

Good luck to you
Old 10-10-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Hope!!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you again hope. We have to be ready - it sounds like you are.

My life was like yours just before I quit. I never knew where a night's drinking was going to take me. It wasn't safe to continue - dangerous things were happening. It will feel wonderful to be free. You can do it.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Hope51

D
Old 10-10-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. I hope this time our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome hope51!!