Notices

Binge drank during pregnancy. Dealing with guilt

Old 10-09-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drank during pregnancy. Dealing with guilt

Hi All,
I'm 16 weeks pregnant. I've never had a problem with alcohol, but alcohol abuse does run in my family. I'm posting in here today to talk about the past 16 weeks of my pregnancy and what makes me think that I could be borderline alcoholic. I've binge drank twice. Once at 11 weeks and then again at 16 weeks. At 11 weeks I probably had about 10 units of alcohol and at 16 I probably had about 6 units. I haven't really drank other that apart from one or two glasses here and there randomly. I've registered with this page because I do believe that I have a problem especially being pregnant and binge drinking twice and only 16 weeks pregnant. I'm stressing about my unborn baby and the possible damage I have caused. The guilt is making me go crazy. I have sworn I will not drink through the rest of my pregnancy so my question is, how much damage have I caused with binge drinking twice. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gigi,

First, congratulations on your pregnancy, that is very exciting. I know you must be worried about your baby. Have you considered talking to your doctor, or attending meetings? It might help to have that support.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gigi

You really have to speak to your Dr to find out what damage, if any. Hopefully you'll get the all clear.

What are you planning to do about your drinking problem?

D
Old 10-09-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Gigi,

First, congratulations on your pregnancy, that is very exciting. I know you must be worried about your baby. Have you considered talking to your doctor, or attending meetings? It might help to have that support.
Thank you. I told my midwife about the first binge, but she is unaware of the second. She told me not to worry about it that a lot of woman don't even know they're pregnant up until 10/12 weeks and drink every weekend, but the thing is I knew I was so I'm really beating myself up.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Gigi

You really have to speak to your Dr to find out what damage, if any. Hopefully you'll get the all clear.

What are you planning to do about your drinking problem?

D
Thank you D. I'm not very sure what I will do as I've never had a problem. I'm just not sure if I could face meetings. I've never been. I have a 2 year old and my husband works away so I don't even know how I'd attend. I haven't told anyone apart from this thread.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Speaking to your midwife again might be helpful. Also, if you aren't planning on going to meetings why don't you check in here everyday. Especially if you are thinking about drinking, post on here and lots of people will be around to support you.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Gigi, so glad you found us at SR. Welcome.

Many folks use SR for support instead of AA so hop into the October Class (All you have to do to join is post in the thread and introduce yourself.)

In the women's only forum there are threads from women in your position. We support them to the hilt and yes the guilt is hard to deal with. I am so so so absolutely glad that you came here and posted.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Gigi!!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello! Congrats on your baby

As your midwife said, a lot of women don't find out until months later that they are pregnant. I had my son when I was 20 and because I took my birth control for sometimes months before I let myself have a menstrual cycle, I didn't realize I was pregnant until after my third month.

I wasn't a heavy daily drinker back then but I did binge party seeing as how I was young and I'm a party college.

I immediately stopped everything after I found out of course. I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy boy.

Don't stress about what did happen although make absolutely sure not to do it again. The guilt will only be magnified each time. Please, if you're concerned, talk to a doctor or get some support
Old 10-10-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gigi!

I gained my sobriety mainly through this site. It is maintained with an open, friendly, non-judgmental spirit that really promotes healing for anguish and encouragement for growth and positive change.

There are so many people here and so many life experiences--something is bound to resonate with you.

I definitely agree with Bekindalways' recommendation to join the new class of October. You can form really excellent bonds with the people in a class.

Looking forward to seeing you around!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do what is the best thing for your unborn child at this moment, and that is to be frank and honest with your doctor. This is about the baby. Following is our information on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-syndrome.html
Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Whatever happened with your baby?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Devo

A lot of the members you're posting to may not still be active here, but I'm sure you'll find a lot of support here - feel free to start your own thread and tell us a little about yourself

D