Notices
View Poll Results: Are Some People Born Bad?
Yes
37.78%
No
48.89%
Unsure
13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Are Some People Born Bad?

Old 10-09-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are Some People Born Bad?

Hello. I wasn't sure how to phrase this question exactly, or where to put it even (ACo e.g.)

Catching up with my subscriptions and this is the 64 million dollar question that emerges.

My inclination is 'no' to the above and yet I'm naive. Opinions do tend to differ about this.

ETA: I added a poll as this is something my mind goes back & forth on. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am not really sure where you are coming from with this question Spacegoat but like you my guess would be overwhelmingly no.

A very few people are clinically psychopathic but that is the extreme end of the spectrum. Most bad people become that way via nurture/circumstances etc imo
Old 10-09-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

bad?

more an extreme example of self will run riot

Old 10-09-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Old 10-09-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Yes sociopaths are born that way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiso...ality_disorder
Antisocial personality disorder is defined by a pervasive and persistent disregard for morals, social norms, and the rights and feelings of others. Individuals with this personality disorder will typically have no compunction in exploiting others in harmful ways for their own gain or pleasure, and can be manipulative and deceitful towards other people, achieving this through wit and a facade of superficial charm, or through intimidation and violence. They may display arrogance and think lowly and negatively of others, and lack remorse for their harmful actions. Irresponsibility is a core characteristic of this disorder: they can have significant difficulties in maintaining stable employment as well as fulfilling their social and financial obligations, and people with this disorder often lead exploitative, unlawful, or parasitic lifestyles
Old 10-09-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, what do you mean by "bad"? I don't think that concept exists in isolation, it is always relative to something else (at least a consequence).

In any case, there are studies showing that tendencies for aggression and criminal behaviors can be inborn/heritable in some ways (ex. what Carlotta said). Same for predisposition to addictions in some people. In this sense, we could perhaps say that some elements of destructiveness people can be born with but it is far from that simple. We might also say that at least certain kinds of selfishness is deeply ingrained in human nature and clearly has the potential to harm the environment and others for the sake of own momentary gain.

We could also ask, are some people born "good"? What would that mean exactly or how would it manifest?

My personal opinion is that we all carry elements of both good and bad potential in us, but the whole concept of "good" and "evil" is a creation of man, and thus can imply different connotations even though there exist what people describe as universal values. Nature or the Universe do not define these things. I voted "unsure" because I do not believe in absolutes about this.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

Great post, Aellyce.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yes.

<evil genius
Old 10-09-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is a lion that stalks and kills his prey bad.

or he is acting from instinct and a will to survive....

A fundamental law of power is to start to see circumstances rather than good or bad...

"Prisons are built with stones of Law, brothels with bricks of Religion...." William Blake
Old 10-09-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't know and since it is not something that can be controlled I'm not sure that it matters to be honest.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

I like the idea of being born tabla rasa, blank slate, the faculties in place waiting for content and imprint.
Good/bad are value judgements and need a standard for which to be judged, Nature doesn't provide a ready made moral code, but does provide the necessity for one.
And the best news even if you believe otherwise , you can Change (yourself )
Old 10-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

The quote box from wiki , confirms what most first time parents confront, infants and toddlers are tyrannical , no scruples for social ,norms, entirely self centered, manipulative ect
Old 10-09-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

humans are born with defects of all kinds - including pathological inability to feel any remorse or empathy for another living being.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

I voted yes,
MB
Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I agree with Aellyce. "Bad" is a relative term. That being said, there are people in this world who do not have a conscience. They are known as psychopaths. They do not feel guilt .... about anything. I have met some of them. One was an 11 yar old child who had burned down a house and could not understand why he was being punished for this. I have met adults (in a rage) who admitted they do not experience guilt. These people also feel little to no empathy.

People without a consience learn to fake having one because of the reactions they get when they don't fake it. Typically by young adulthood they are quite skilled at this masquarade and can fool nearly anyone. Its estimated that
something like 4 to 5% of the general population are psychopaths. Twenty percent of CEO's of large corporations and 45% of the prison population are also said to be.

These people are essentially animals. They can tell you a lie just as easily and as convincingly as they can tell you the truth. The only thing that keeps their behavior in check is the consequences that might follow from it.

A vast majority of prisoners on death row have been found to be psychopaths. I also remember seeing a study where they interviewed mothers of death row inmates. It also turned out that a vast majority of these pregnancy's were unwanted.

Many years ago it was hard for me to accept that these sorts of people walk among us. Then I met a few obvious examples. They can appear perfectly normal for a time. The giveaway is the the lack of guilt and empathy they feel.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was told this by somebody I know in AA before I actually went to meetings.

"Bad? .... You mean wrong."
Nobody is "bad", just wrong decisions/choices.

I won't get into what I was talking to her about , I just thought I'd share. I hope that helps.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lexilynn View Post

"Bad? .... You mean wrong."
In old dictionaries the first word listed after the word bad was (evil).

We have twisted our language.
Or maybe the devil did it.

M-Bob
Old 10-10-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Are people good or bad?

Maybe it just depends on their mood or their frame of mind.

I might be a bit naive too as I see most people as not truly "bad"...but most all of us are "bad" at times...and then there's times we just "behave".

Another thought is that being "bad" is perhaps more a state of mind than anything else.

Kind of like an "Outlaw State Of Mind"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjzVz7Rmkzw
Old 10-10-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No
Old 10-10-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I'm curious what case studies were done of John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, Richard Speck etc.

Pure evil individuals. I've read a little bit on them but, I'm unable to recall their upbringing.

As an adult this old story stays fresh in my mind everyday.

Two Wolves
A Cherokee Legend

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."