Notices

Kind of miss my job

Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kind of miss my job

I got soft-fired from my job that I hated back in February for being drunk all the time, but I now kind of regret it. I was an administrative assistant for an engineering company that designs and builds stuff for nuclear power plants and labs, among other random types of plant. That probably could have looked pretty good on my resume, especially since I've been fired from every job I've ever had.

So if Chalk River Laboratories blows up or something, it's probably because my drunk ass was in charge of quality control for the parts used in high pressure autoclave modules directly before they were welded, and I really hated my life, so I did the job properly like 0% of the time.

It was kind of a cool on paper job in retrospect, even though I was lazy af and hated getting up in the morning.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmm apparently the lab produces 1/3 of the world's medical radioisotopes.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whoops. Can I delete? No I can't.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds like a neat job. Do you think there's any chance they would re-hire you? If not, you could start looking forward to finding a different job that you actually do not hate,
Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm lucky I don't hate my jobs. I hate my boss at one of them.

You really should look at another job you do like. Don't worry about what will look good on your resume right now. I can't imagine going to a job I hate. So many people do it though - for years! Its like where people spend most of their time... Work and home. That's why loving both of those need to be a priority
Old 10-07-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My boss offered me health insurance after I left there...so I have no idea. I'm going to call it "soft fired" because I'm not getting any hours and I keep getting emails about failing to complete my timesheets.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe you should complete your time sheets
Old 10-08-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
My boss offered me health insurance after I left there...so I have no idea. I'm going to call it "soft fired" because I'm not getting any hours and I keep getting emails about failing to complete my timesheets.
It's possible that they never really fired you, and assuming you have the drink problem under control, could go back if you asked politely. I have worked for places where it was easier and safer to simply cut hours to see if the employee would 'get the message' and straighten up rather than to resort to formal termination.

It can't hurt to ask if you are still eligible to work for them, if you are interested. You could possibly go back until you find something else you like more.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It sounds very possible you have not been fired. I'd never heard of the expression "soft-fired" before and assumed you meant that they tried to get you to resign rather than terminate you. But it sounds like you just stopped showing up and they stopping assigning you hours and there hasn't been a formal termination at all.

You mentioned being drunk on the job and you mentioned your boss offering you health insurance after you left. If they are aware you have a drinking problem, they may be concerned to formally terminate you, in case you have some sort of claim.

Or they may be offering you an opportunity to get health insurance and get medical help for the drinking.

If they are government owned, they could be a very generous organisation.

Unless you ask them, you won't know. And since (it seems) you had written off the job in your mind, you have nothing to lose by asking. And everything to gain ... i.e. the cool job back. And if you are not going in drunk, chances are you are actually going to enjoy it.

It's a chance to do something, vulturine. Possibly to get clean with financial help too. I hope you take it. You are a smart individual by the sounds of it. Take a chance here and you could end up with the wind at your back.