Notices

First Alcohol free vacation

Old 10-06-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Alcohol free vacation

Checking in with everyone! I am leaving for Colorado tomorrow for about 5 days with my family. I am looking forward to the mountains and nature. I will be going Witt my small family who drink but definitely not to excess as I was usually the culprit. I have a relapse prevention plan written down, my books and journal packed and phone numbers to call and my sponsor on alert. It is a bit scary just cause it is my first vacation sober. You guys are so awesome , any encouragement and good vibes and advise will only help me succeed more. I'm almost to my first 100 days of not drinking, something I have never achieved before. Lots of breathing meditation and prayer to come!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You will get through it and I hope you have fun! I got my first sober vacation coming up in spring... Last time I was there I made a drunk ass of myself.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

100 days is fantastic and imagine how heartbroken you would feel to go back to day 1 - that's a LOT of days to get back for a few minutes of 'buzz' and lets face it, the buzz only last around 15 minutes and then all the guilt, regrets, queasiness and feelings of failure set in - not worth it for 15mins is it?
Have a brilliant holiday - can you get SR on your phone while you're away? We are not THAT easy to get rid of
Shields UP!
Z x
Old 10-06-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first was in August to Cabo San Lucas (honeymoon) and it went without a hitch. The place is completely booze-soaked...multiple bars on every block, and it wasn't a temptation in the least. If you go in with the attitude that you won't drink, it won't be a problem.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I will have my phone and be checking in. Your so right! That fifteen minute buzz isn't worth it. I have some new friends in AA and I don't want to have to come back and admit any wrong doing. I want to see the land sober. I seem to notice the beauty more with a clear head. The good thing is I have an uncle going that hasn't drank in 30 years so he will be my right hand man!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great sober break Linz
D
Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
My first was in August to Cabo San Lucas (honeymoon) and it went without a hitch. The place is completely booze-soaked...multiple bars on every block, and it wasn't a temptation in the least. If you go in with the attitude that you won't drink, it won't be a problem.
That is totally my attitude. Taking a drink isn't an option. I think it's more of the possible negative feelings being around it and the anxiousness but I have the tools to work thru them, I hope anyways. Oh wow! I couldn't do Cabo yet!!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by butcher70 View Post
You will get through it and I hope you have fun! I got my first sober vacation coming up in spring... Last time I was there I made a drunk ass of myself.
I totally understand. The last few years on trips with my family who doesn't get out of hand, I was the one drinking and forgetting most of the trip. No way to take a vacation!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have a great time. I went camping for the first time sober in years this summer and was worried if it would be as fun.... it was way better. Hope it's the same for you.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have a great sober break Linz
D
Thank you Dee! We can always count on you!
Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Quincy;6163797]Have a great time. I went camping for the first time sober in years this summer and was worried if it would be as fun.... it was way better. Hope it's the same for you.

Thank you! I'm hopeful it will be one of the best yet.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Have a great trip. I went to Cabo this summer with my family and really didn't miss it at all. In fact, you are likely to see people acting drunkenly in ways that strengthen your resolve to stay sober. I saw the "pirate" ship with all of the people yelling go by and honestly the whole thing seems pretty pathetic and childish. Then we shared a boat ride with a family where the parents were drinking beers the whole time out of a big bag they brought and their kids were looking depressed. Can't blame them, they seemed like an afterthought to their parents' main activity.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
totfit

Wow, not sure where you are going, but my daughter lives in Estes Park. I love Colorado. I stay outside mostly and drinking is like, why would someone "like me" want to do that and take this all away? Hope you have an awesome experience. Every time I go it is. Went out 3 times last year and going back Thanksgiving week. My avatar picture is a shot in the Rockies.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Wow, not sure where you are going, but my daughter lives in Estes Park. I love Colorado. I stay outside mostly and drinking is like, why would someone "like me" want to do that and take this all away? Hope you have an awesome experience. Every time I go it is. Went out 3 times last year and going back Thanksgiving week. My avatar picture is a shot in the Rockies.
Oh I like that! Stay outside most of the time I'll be going to the Rockies also in Steamboat
Old 10-07-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Have a great trip. I went to Cabo this summer with my family and really didn't miss it at all. In fact, you are likely to see people acting drunkenly in ways that strengthen your resolve to stay sober. I saw the "pirate" ship with all of the people yelling go by and honestly the whole thing seems pretty pathetic and childish. Then we shared a boat ride with a family where the parents were drinking beers the whole time out of a big bag they brought and their kids were looking depressed. Can't blame them, they seemed like an afterthought to their parents' main activity.
I had virtually the same experience in Cabo in August. The pirate ship looked like torture, and in fact we laughed about happy we were NOT to be trapped on that thing with a hundred drunks. Just like you, my resolve got stronger every day because the drunks were so pathetic. The worst was some big Texan outside the Giggling Marlin who breathed beer fumes into my face when he talked and stepped on my shoe when he staggered away. Jerk. By the third or fourth day I was doing so well that I was getting up at six a.m. every day to run to the top of that hill with all the houses on it that overlooks the town.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Linz, I think you're very smart for having outlined a plan. The first one is an unknown quantity so we don't know what to expect. I did my first one last winter, was nervous and a bit scared. It ended up being awesome.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for the stories and the encouragement! I will keep you guys posted. Of course it will be a bit scary but I keep thinking "oh I'm going to get to experience my first trip not consumed by alcohol"! How great is that? God willing that is!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have a great vacation Linz!!
Old 10-07-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleKnight View Post
Have a great vacation Linz!!
Thank you PurpleKnight!