Notices

I need SR help, advice, anything, everything...

Old 10-07-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You may have kept drinking while blacked out. I have been told that I drank stuff that I would not drink sober which I couldn't remember.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJohn View Post
You may have kept drinking while blacked out. I have been told that I drank stuff that I would not drink sober which I couldn't remember.
I hate it
Still I was out today. I saw people sitting and having casual beers (I don’t even drink beer) and I envied them.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mia I just wanted to add to what lexilynn said about having sober blackouts. I never had a lot of blackouts. But eventually I started losing chunks of time whether I was sober or drinking. I'm sober now but still find that chunks of time keep slipping away from me.
I'm hoping in time it will get better but I know most of what's lost won't come back. I just want to keep the level of memory loss arrested where it's at. When you're at that point there's nowhere to go but down.

Keep posting and stick around we can do this together
Old 10-07-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

OK. Here is how it works. If you are a normal drinker, you can have a glass of wine with dinner and leave part of it in the glass. You can buy a 6 pack of beer, drink one or two and find the rest in the refrigerator a month later. When you are alcoholic, you can't do that. You might fool yourself into thinking that you can handle it this time, but you end up drunk.

You quit for a short period of time and decide that you are OK now. Maybe you have one drink and stop - this time. That convinces you that you can handle it next time, and within a day or so you are drunk again.

Here is the deal. Alcoholism is an elevator that only goes down. If you get off the elevator for a little while, you convince yourself that you can start over again. That you can go back to drinking like you did long ago before you were addicted to the stuff. But the elevator never starts at the top again, it sits there and waits for you to get back on and continues down, probably even faster than before. The only way to manage your drinking is to stay off the elevator.

It is very difficult to get and stay sober by yourself. It was impossible for me. I have managed a good bit of sobriety with the help of AA. Maybe there are other ways, but that is what worked for me and for millions of others over the years.

It's tough to walk into a room full of strangers and say, Hello. My name is Sue and I'm an alcoholic. But everybody else in that room has done the same thing, understands what you are dealing with, and will try to help you if you let them. That person to person contact is what helps to keep us honest.

If you honestly try AA and are convinced it doesn't work for you, then try something else. But be honest enough to take the first step. Acknowledge that you are powerless over your addiction. Until you do that, you're just kidding yourself.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Mia I just wanted to add to what lexilynn said about having sober blackouts. I never had a lot of blackouts. But eventually I started losing chunks of time whether I was sober or drinking. I'm sober now but still find that chunks of time keep slipping away from me.
I'm hoping in time it will get better but I know most of what's lost won't come back. I just want to keep the level of memory loss arrested where it's at. When you're at that point there's nowhere to go but down.

Keep posting and stick around we can do this together
Delizadee and Lexilynn,
You brought up something very important which I was not aware of. I think I am having sober blackouts (forgetting a phone at the taxi in a foreign country, leaving my luggage on the street, throwing away the bag with my necklace in it believing I took the necklace out and hanged it) but I was thinking maybe I was low on B12 since I am a vegetarian. Right now I am scared as hell!!!
Could they be sober blackouts? I mean I live, but I live as I am floating. Today I was panicked that I left my cell phone at the metro, I was searching my pockets and bag like crazy. And guess what I was holding the damn phone in my hand during all this time. This is not normal. This made me scared!!!
What do you think?
All this time I was deceiving my self that I was low on B12. Maybe those were all sober blackouts!
Old 10-08-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dear Lexilyn can you check my latest reply on this thread. It is important. Thanks
Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I write about my drinking in a journal. How I felt after each drink, how I felt the next day; what I remembered, what I didn't... negative effects, etc. I go back to it when I crave a drink.

I go in and out of denial because I try different things each time. I'm not crazy with my drinking, but it's definitely affecting a lot of things. Six beers a night type person, and I just stop, but I did a taper of 2 beers a night for a week with the goal of quitting. I was like "Oh, I can stop at 2, it must be a willpower thing." It's not. Old habits creep back into my head and then I'm drinking alone watching football, then laying in bed 'till noon.

It took decades to 'cultivate' my drinking from parents forcing me to drink as a child, to friends in country Ohio keeping us from getting bored. I realize it will take a long time to re-wire my thinking, but this thread reminds me that I can't keep up with this cycle.

Drinking wastes my time... wastes my life... my health. Thank you for the reminder. Don't forget how you felt when you were sober.