Notices

Space for Recovery

Old 10-06-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Space for Recovery

One of the aspects of early recovery I hadn’t really considered much until now is how important it is to defuse and deescalate your immediate interpersonal surroundings. I suspect this is why AA programs have step 8. It potentially removes a lot of triggers.

The world does not know when you have sobered up. Unless you tell people about your newly found sobriety, it will take a fair amount of time for your improvements to be noticed. There will surely be people in your life treating you like the drunk you were, up until X-amount of time ago. I’ve tended to prove them intensely correct by coping with stress with booze/drugs. Haha, not a great path to redemption. This is how folks come to define you by your worst of moments, I reckon.

There is no doubt that some people are simply unwilling to forgive someone’s addictions. I still firmly believe that the vast majority of us are more forgiving than we even give ourselves credit for. I think this is a reason why it is important to quickly make significant early recovery strides. It gives the world a fresh reason to believe in our recovery and gets the world off our back a bit. It helps you establish the necessary space for recovery.

Anyways, enough of my rambles for now. Thanks for indulging me in distraction as the weekend looms.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some good thoughts!!

It definitly took some time for me to prove to others that my Sobriety was for the long term this time!!